Hiring Boards and Chances

I am 24 years old and plan on applying to both Reserve and ANG heavy units this Spring. I have my bachelors degree with a 3.33 GPA. My AFOQT scores are: P:79, N:73, AA: 79, V: 56, Q:88. My PPL checkride is scheduled for February 14th and currently have roughly 57 hours. I plan to get LOR from my CFI, my Scout Master (Eagle Scout), and a professor from college.  I take the TBAS tomorrow and then will receive my PCSM. I know there is not much a way to tell me chances without a PCSM, however, if I do well on the TBAS and receive a good PCSM, is that the main factor considered? Or should I also retake the AFOQT? I know my scores are lower in Pilot and Nav than I would like them to be, when I previously took the AFOQT I had no flight experience so I am confident I could boost my scores in those categories. However, it has been awhile since I have been enrolled in school so I am worried other categories may suffer from not being as familiar with the math and engineering type questions anymore. Just looking to get advice on what to do or if I should retake tests, how my current scores look if anyone has an idea if these would be competitive for heavies since it seems most people ask about fighters, or anything else anyone has to offer.

Thanks for the help

I don't think you should retake the AFOQT. With my little knowledge of heavies boards and their selections, your scores aren't stellar, but they're not bad. Depending how you do on the TBAS and if your PCSM is decently high, I think you should be fine. The PPL will be a very nice addition to your package. I'd say knock out that TBAS with the best of your ability, get that PPL and start firing out packages. If you're not getting any bites, then maybe consider retaking one or both of them. Good luck! 

Stop worrying about the AFOQT and PCSM scores. They won't make you a better or worse person. You obviously are an intelligent individual with a 3.33 GPA and once you get that PPL, it shows that you're competent in an airplane and know the basics. Kill it in the interview, show them who you are and why you'd be a good match for their unit. I got hired with scores lower than that years ago, and it was never brought up. YMMV.

Edited by CavGuy

• 2 weeks later...