What are my chances for fighters Reserves/ANG?

pilotcrum

Hey guys. I'm just looking to get some feedback on my chances of getting hired at a guard or reserve unit for fighters. Any advice is much appreciated!

AFOQT: Pilot: 99        Nav: 90       Acad: 70     Verbal: 70     Quant: 65

PCSM: 88 (201+ hours is 98)

I will graduate in May 2020 from Purdue University majoring in Industrial Engineering Technology, minor in Biometrics, and certificate in Entrepreneurship. GPA: 3.51

I have my PPL with about 70 flight hours. 

LOR: one is from my flight instructor who helped me earn my ppl and knows me very well, the other two are from an Air Force Colonel and 2 star General that also know me well and can attest to my character. 

I have a number of volunteer/community service events I have been involved in such as missionary trips and philanthropy events with my fraternity. I also have leadership experience in Boy Scouts (life scout), Purdue Student Government as a board of director, and in my capstone class working with Boeing and engineering students on an engineering related project. 

Some academic achievements are making the deans list and semester honors, and being inducted into the National Society of Leadership and Success and the Congress of Future Science and Technology Leaders. 

So far I've had 1 interview at a guard fighter unit and my feedback was basically to just to be more of myself instead of giving rehearsed answers to their questions.      

Let me know what you guys think!     

Edited by pilotcrum

I think you've kind of answered this one for yourself? Being that you've interviewed at a guard fighter unit I'd say your shot is pretty good? Just follow their advice and be yourself and answer honestly. The interview is for them to get to know you better. They basically get your package and the interview to figure out if they want to fly with you for the next 10-20 years. Getting the interview is the hard part. That means they are seriously considering you, out of all of the applicants. Which for a fighter unit, is typically very high. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Current PCSM isn't incredible, I know multiple people with similar hours, lower scores and a higher PCSM.

BUT, thankfully a lot of guard units look at your 201+ more than the current PCSM.

Like ryleypav said, if you are getting interviews, you are on the right track. It just sounds like you weren't comfortable during your interview. You should be prepared for you answer, but besides the "about me", it might be better to have an idea of the high points you want to hit in your answer rather than something memorized.

If you are really worried, it might be useful to do Bogidope or another company's interview prep. You are on the right track, most people don't get hired on their first interview, so just use that experience going forward.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback. When I originally had my interview my PCSM was a 78 and since then I have retaken the TBAS to get an 88. At the time, the unit that interviewed me (New Jersey), they told me they don’t take PCSM into as much consideration as other factors like GPA. So I was wondering if my current scores could still land me interviews at other fighter squadrons.