Civilian FY 2020 OTS Boards

Hi all,

Thought I'd create a separate thread from the AD UFT one.  Anyone else reapplying/applying to the active duty civilian boards for active duty Air Force (not Reserve)?  Curious if anyone else has had any success getting a UPT slot this route.

As a quick lesson learned from the last board don't let your recruiter force you to put any job on your sheet other than pilot.  My recruiter(s) made me believe it was required to put alternate jobs beside pilot (put CSO as the 2nd choice just to get pushed through).  Turns out that is not true and is absolutely not required.  If your recruiter tells you this is required just move on and call a different one don't make my mistake.  

Edited by tarheelaviator
tags
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, admdelta said:

I'm applying for the one in August. Missed the deadline on the January deadline by a hair, sadly.

And thanks for that tip! Where'd you hear that you didn't have to do that?

Every other recruiter I spoke with other than the one I used the last time stated you are under no obligation to put any jobs other than the ones you want.  Also have a friend at the Pentagon in the USAF A1 who seems to confirm this.  The whole if you turn down a previous non-pilot offer to try again for pilot it will hurt your chances isn't really true either.  Bottom line don't let your recruiter(s) scare you into taking a job you don't want.  

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, admdelta said:

Thanks! Is this gonna be your fist one or are you reapplying?

The next reserve board is due April 31st.  If I haven't found a sponsorship by then the deadline for the AD board is far enough into the summer I can probably apply for both.  That is the plan at least right now.  

• 1 month later...

Anyone heard from their active duty LO recruiters?  Seems everything is on hold but my Reserve recruiter (seperate process) is completely in the dark and is just as clueless as to when things will open up again and resume processing applicants.  

• 4 weeks later...

Question for you all. I am seriously considering putting up an application for an AD board. However, like most of you I am only interested in pilot and only put that selection down on my initial form to the recruiter. He sent me back "Just wanted to let you know that our regulations specified that applicants applying in the rated positions must list at a minimum of two rated positions, and noticed that you only have one, they will reject it at AFRS. Update your profilesheet to reflect two jobs." And he sent this picture as documentation thumbnail?appId=aolwebmail&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=1.2I Know I have seen many people post that it is not required to list more than one choice on an AD app so is my recruiter incorrect? I am truly passionate about flying and I would turn down any other rated offer so only wish to pursue the one choice. Not sure if I should find another recruiter or try and talk with this one without sounding arrogant or douchey for only wanting to put pilot.

7 hours ago, Terminator5lf said:

Apologies I attached it

E9213F1E-5580-468E-B4B4-499699A63130.png

That looks like an unofficial, in-house reg. About six years ago when I was looking at doing AD before getting picked up by the guard, my own recruiter had a document somewhat similar to that. It wasn’t an official reg. I’d highly recommend you find another recruiter elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

Well, I can tell you this. I applied to 20OT02 (board that's a month behind on reporting results... so any day now?) and I applied Pilot only. My recruiter had no issue sending my application to AFRS. Personally? I think your recruiter either doesn't know the regulations have changed, or are bullying you into selecting multiple (I have seen/heard this happen many times before).

That said, maybe it changed? There's a lot of speculation on how the AF is going to handle the upcoming boards. They took a TON of pilots in the last few, so there's a rumored cutback on the horizon.

I'd double-check that regardless. What area of the country are you in?

Alright understood I’ve done some digging, but haven’t come up with anything yet I’ll do some more. I’m in the southeast. Good luck on your board!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Finch said:

That looks like an unofficial, in-house reg. About six years ago when I was looking at doing AD before getting picked up by the guard, my own recruiter had a document somewhat similar to that. It wasn’t an official reg. I’d highly recommend you find another recruiter elsewhere.

Since its internal "in house" rules I'd still take it with a grain of salt.  The recruiters are trying to get people to commission NOT to get people to become pilots.  Don't make my mistake from the 19OT03 board.  If the recruiter says you have to put down anything beside pilot find a different recruiter (you don't have to work with the closest one geographically fyi).  Everything is held up right now with recruiting where I am but still planning on applying to the July deadline (August) board pilot only.  

Edited by tarheelaviator
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kiloalpha said:

Yep. Pilot select. Conflicting info on selection rates/number of pilot slots.

Congrats!  If you don't mind us asking what were your AFOQT/PCSM scores?  Just trying to set expectation management for 20OT4 this summer.  

Edited by tarheelaviator

2 minutes ago, Kiloalpha said:

Thanks! PCSM is 94. AFOQT is 98 pilot, 96 nav, 83 academic, 94 verbal and 60 quant.

Solid

For everyone else I was at PCSM 92, AFOQT Pilot 98, 99 Nav, 91 ACAD, 93 Verbal, 80 quant and still not pilot select for 19OT3.  Guess there were more pilot slots this board and it does seem to vary wildly depending on the time of year.  Everything is timing in the military ugh.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

The recruiter told me that you want to apply for the earlier boards in the fiscal year, as they tend to pick more since they aren't as concerned with funds. Could be false, who knows.

He is assuming but his assumption isn't off.  I think part of the reason the board I applied to had so few slots was it towards the end of the fiscal year and Congress failed to pass the NDAA on time for the first time in 50 years much less a complete Federal budget.  Still made me mad as there were people with garbage scores and almost no hours getting picked up that time (like AFOQT pilot and PCSM < 70).  

Edited by tarheelaviator

13 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

That’s nuts. You’re applying again though? Keep at it, your stats are rock solid.

Yes I'll be reapplying for 20OT04 (couldn't do 20OT2 because you have to wait 6 months after being nonselected or declining a previous offer).  Keep your physical fitness up and do well at OTS and maybe you can throw in a package to ENJJPT (look that up in the forums there is some gouge on people doing that here).  

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2020 at 8:51 AM, tarheelaviator said:

Hi all,

Thought I'd create a separate thread from the AD UFT one.  Anyone else reapplying/applying to the active duty civilian boards for active duty Air Force (not Reserve)?  Curious if anyone else has had any success getting a UPT slot this route.

As a quick lesson learned from the last board don't let your recruiter force you to put any job on your sheet other than pilot.  My recruiter(s) made me believe it was required to put alternate jobs beside pilot (put CSO as the 2nd choice just to get pushed through).  Turns out that is not true and is absolutely not required.  If your recruiter tells you this is required just move on and call a different one don't make my mistake.  

Cannot stress this enough, I was in the exact same shoe and listed 4. Pilot CSO RPA Missileer

Picked up for CSO. Life has already set me deep into a professional flying career and now this is requiring me to essentially choose one or the other. 

If anyone has info on how to go about turning down the slot and reapplying please share your experience, I am all ears. 

To everyone that got selected, congratulations A LOTand to those who weren't. Keep at it. I know the feeling. It took me ROTC and then OTS to get here. You know the process is arduous but the reward is worth the effort.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2020 at 3:41 PM, Kiloalpha said:

Thanks! PCSM is 94. AFOQT is 98 pilot, 96 nav, 83 academic, 94 verbal and 60 quant.

Congrats man! I was curious, on top of your PCSM did you have strong academics or volunteer work (they seem to love this one)?

On 2/3/2020 at 10:53 AM, tarheelaviator said:

The whole if you turn down a previous non-pilot offer to try again for pilot it will hurt your chances isn't really true either.  Bottom line don't let your recruiter(s) scare you into taking a job you don't want.  

How do you know this? I am considering dropping my slot but my recruiter told me if I did as such, I could essentially toss away the dream of being a USAF pilot.

10 hours ago, DinaMight said:

How do you know this? I am considering dropping my slot but my recruiter told me if I did as such, I could essentially toss away the dream of being a USAF pilot.

DM'd you but again always consider the motivation of the person telling you something.  Their job is to get you to go to OTS not to get you to become a pilot.  It sounds like a scare tactic to me.  

11 hours ago, DinaMight said:

Cannot stress this enough, I was in the exact same shoe and listed 4. Pilot CSO RPA Missileer

Picked up for CSO. Life has already set me deep into a professional flying career and now this is requiring me to essentially choose one or the other. 

If anyone has info on how to go about turning down the slot and reapplying please share your experience, I am all ears. 

To everyone that got selected, congratulations A LOTand to those who weren't. Keep at it. I know the feeling. It took me ROTC and then OTS to get here. You know the process is arduous but the reward is worth the effort.

Wait you are a professional pilot (commercial?) and they offered you CSO?  God who the on these boards actually has any common sense?