Guard bumming with other units?

Is it possible? I imagine that quite a few units are bottom heavy with everyone bailing to the airlines as soon as they hit ATP mins. I'm worried about getting enough flying time when I get off seasoning days. I imagine local sorties wouldn't make much sense, but I would love to jump on a deployment since I won't be back from PIQ before my unit heads out.

Also, under the new "Total Force Office Training" model, can Guard dudes go fly with a Reserve unit or even AD?

Thanks!

Flying with other units happens all the time. How often and duration of such is wildly dependent on multiple factors and nothing anyone can predict for you. Bring it up to your sq/cc when you’re getting closer to the end of seasoning and see what he says. Going with a deploying squadron who needs manning help is your best bet for hours, tax free pay, etc. 

• Upvote 1

There's a guy in my Guard unit who's on long-term loan from another Guard unit. He's an O5 who just flies the line, met and married a cute doctor here locally, and seems to be living his best life. A true hero for us all to emulate!

We also loaned our a young prior-E LT to another unit for I think two years as a drug deal for him to go to full-up UPT rather than URT.

YMMV and it's all highly situation-dependent as brabus said. Good luck!

Edited by nsplayr

My Guard unit is always looking for guest help to sit alert. Title 10 orders, full AD pay, BAH, BAS, etc... 10 days work/20 days off per 30 day orders, full per diem, lodging paid for, TAMP 180, not to mention time off of your guard retirement age. My plan is to keep doing this off and on and get an Active Duty retirement while still keeping my line number at the airlines. Best of all worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 2