Reserve UPT Unsponsored to Active Duty?

WeatherLion

Long story short:

Prior service Marine Weather guesser. Spent the last 10 years trying to become a pilot.

Was AFROTC in college, didn't get selected for field training. Applied to Marine OCS, contracted, but not selected for OCS 3 times. Enlisted, got numerous inter-service transfers approved but had recruiter troubles. Recruiter was negligent in submitting package before deadline and EAS'd before the following deadline without telling me, right before I was deploying. Started Navy OCS application during deployment. Was injured on deployment requiring surgery. Spent remainder of my enlisted contract recovering. 

Summer 2019. Applied to Active duty Air Force for pilot. Again, recruiter would not board my package unless I selected at least 2 choices. Pilot was first and CSO was second. I was just recently selected for CSO but have not yet accepted. 

Since the Air Force delayed the results 4 months, I had already built an Air Force Reserve package with the intention of going back to school to get my Masters after training. 

The main question: I really wanted to fly full time but it looks like Guard/Reserve is my only option if I want to stay Air Force. Is it possible to go unsponsored to UPT and then switch over to active duty? I understand that there is a Reserve program where you can be on active status in the reserves for up to 4 years, but I am interested in switching over to active duty.

Can you do it in UPT or would you have to wait until after you have made it to your reserve unit?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by WeatherLion

2 of us showed up to UPT as unsponsored and looked at switching to Active. AFPC said there was a process currently being developed (October 2019) to allow this. AFI 36-2005 ch 6 explains that you can transfer from different branches.AFI36-2005%20Officer%20Accessions.pdf?ve

If age isn’t a factor and your open to flying to anything, you can decline the CSO position and reapply for the active board. Not sure how many times you can decline or how long you have to wait to reapply. 

There are plenty of opportunities in both ANG/reserves for you to fly full time. Can’t speak for the fighter side, but in my guard tanker unit, traditional dudes are guaranteed 200 to 220 days of orders a year. You also Have drills, AFTPs, TDYs across the pond that allows bums to push the “BUMing” to the limit. You can also apply for full time Tech Positions or AGR slots if available.

I’m not sure what opportunities are out there for rated ANG/reserve guys to go AD. I am sure there are out there. But why go AD if you can try to be a full time BUM if the opportunity presents itself.

Are you in age waiver territory? If you are, you might want to clarify with the reserves recruiter on going unsponsored. From what I understand, if you need an age waiver (33 is the current limit) you can submit to the board but nothing will happen until you can secure sponsorship from a unit. You can’t even go to WP and get an FC1 until unit sponsorship.

Do you have your PPL or any rated time?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

2 hours ago, Hawg15 said:

Don’t go active duty. Be a full time reservist or AGR. there’s literally not a single perk to active duty over that, it’s why big blue tries to hide them and downplay it. 

Active Duty
itsatrap.jpg

👆 what @Hawg15 said. I’m extremely happy with staying Reserves and glad I didn’t go through with the switch; wouldn’t want it any other way. 

6 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

There are plenty of opportunities in both ANG/reserves for you to fly full time. Can’t speak for the fighter side, but in my guard tanker unit, traditional dudes are guaranteed 200 to 220 days of orders a year. You also Have drills, AFTPs, TDYs across the pond that allows bums to push the “BUMing” to the limit. You can also apply for full time Tech Positions or AGR slots if available.

I’m not sure what opportunities are out there for rated ANG/reserve guys to go AD. I am sure there are out there. But why go AD if you can try to be a full time BUM if the opportunity presents itself.

Are you in age waiver territory? If you are, you might want to clarify with the reserves recruiter on going unsponsored. From what I understand, if you need an age waiver (33 is the current limit) you can submit to the board but nothing will happen until you can secure sponsorship from a unit. You can’t even go to WP and get an FC1 until unit sponsorship.

Do you have your PPL or any rated time?

Currently 28 years old and have 30.4 hours of flight time. 

Currently 28 years old and have 30.4 hours of flight time. 

Your in a good spot with age. Get your PPL and keep casting a net. I’m not AD but have plenty of bros that compare AD to a jail sentence counting down the days until their ADSC runs out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/30/2019 at 4:29 PM, WeatherLion said:

The main question: I really wanted to fly full time . 

LOL: I think we should start with the expectation management of "flying full time" means? On AD, you are only going to fly "full time" one year in your whole career. 

• Haha 1

+1 to what is mentioned above.

I would check out bogidope interview/package and use their map as a starting point for hiring boards/contact information. I would also encourage you to speak with more people who are in the positions you're considering. From what you say your goals are it would seem Gaurd/Reserve suits that best. I'm in the hunt like you so take what I have to say with a grain of salt!

Happy hunting.

On 12/30/2019 at 10:46 AM, Hopefulflyer389 said:

If age isn’t a factor and your open to flying to anything, you can decline the CSO position and reapply for the active board. Not sure how many times you can decline or how long you have to wait to reapply. 

Are you sure you can do that?  I've been told it could hurt your chances if you turn down a rated offer and then reapply for the next board.  Of course if this was an active duty board he is declining and then he applies to the Reserves that is a separate process with different recruiters (correct me if I'm wrong).  

Are you sure you can do that?  I've been told it could hurt your chances if you turn down a rated offer and then reapply for the next board.  Of course if this was an active duty board he is declining and then he applies to the Reserves that is a separate process with different recruiters (correct me if I'm wrong).  

You can decline and reapply up to 3 times to the AD board. Not sure about reverses unsponsored.

1 hour ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

You can decline and reapply up to 3 times to the AD board. Not sure about reverses unsponsored.

By AD you mean UFT board for active duty personnel or the civilian OTS boards?  Just want to be 100% sure because I've heard mixed information.  

19 hours ago, tarheelaviator said:

Yes you can. However, from what I read about 2 years back was that if you decline a position you can’t reapply and accept the same position you declined. 

On 1/7/2020 at 3:21 PM, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Yes you can. However, from what I read about 2 years back was that if you decline a position you can’t reapply and accept the same position you declined. 

The Reserves and UFT boards for AD are a separate process.  WeatherLion is talking about the civilian OTS boards.  It seems that some recruiters are pushing for folks who got selected for jobs other than pilot to be able to decline their offer and reapply to the next one.  Unfortunately my recruiter is claiming the active duty Air Force will "blackball" you (their words not mine) from reapplying to future civilian to OTS active duty boards.

As a background I'm in a similar situation to WeatherLion where I was selected for backseater and I asked about declining the offer and trying again for pilot.  Did not get good feedback but I have not found any concrete AFI or memo that states an applicant cannot apply again.  Think it may be the recruiters just trying to intimidate people into taking whatever offer they give you.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone else is in the same boat as WeatherLion and myself in the future, I spent a ton of time this week calling different recruiters around the country.  The whole threat of blackballing is not true and you CAN apply again. 

Now unfortunately there appears to be a 180 wait period between being a non-select or declining another rated offer (CSO, ABM, RPA) before you can reapply for pilot but there is no rule that says you cannot or that you'll be barred from consideration again.  If your recruiter refuses to work with you just politely end the conversation and find a recruiter who will.  

Also don't work with any recruiter who says you have to put down alternate jobs other than pilot.  There is not any rule that says this is required.  I made this mistake and it complicated my efforts when I was offered an alternate (non-pilot) rated job.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 7:04 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

Your in a good spot with age. Get your PPL and keep casting a net. I’m not AD but have plenty of bros that compare AD to a jail sentence counting down the days until their ADSC runs out.

If I may ask, why do your friends dislike AD? I have an idea of the differences, but I'm trying to get a sense of which one is the biggest for people. Is it a collective combination of 1) control over location / deployments 2) ability to have a civilian career on the side if you want and 3) more relaxed environment? Or is there anything else too that I'm missing. I was active duty myself, and honestly didn't know a thing about the guard / reserves side until I started researching it actively 2 months ago.

If I may ask, why do your friends dislike AD? I have an idea of the differences, but I'm trying to get a sense of which one is the biggest for people. Is it a collective combination of 1) control over location / deployments 2) ability to have a civilian career on the side if you want and 3) more relaxed environment? Or is there anything else too that I'm missing. I was active duty myself, and honestly didn't know a thing about the guard / reserves side until I started researching it actively 2 months ago.

Do you like anal? Not giving, but receiving. With no lube. And kind of like a hate screw kind of way. Not tenderly and sensual, but like a step below rape.

But in all seriousness active duty is not all bad. Some of it was actually pretty fun and I met the best people that I could ever meet. But if I had the option of doing active duty are going to the air National Guard or reserves, I would pick the air National Guard or reserves any day. Being on a 12 year prison sentence and unable to say no or leave is about the worst feeling you can have. Especially if your family situation changes between now and then. You just never know what your life is going to be like 12 years down the road.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Duck said:

But in all seriousness active duty is not all bad. Some of it was actually pretty fun and I met the best people that I could ever meet. But if I had the option of doing active duty are going to the air National Guard or reserves, I would pick the air National Guard or reserves any day. Being on a 12 year prison sentence and unable to say no or leave is about the worst feeling you can have. Especially if your family situation changes between now and then. You just never know what your life is going to be like 12 years down the road.

Thanks. Yea I was really just trying to get an idea of what the biggest thing was for most people. I was in for 4 years and had no major issues with it at all - overall great experience. But that may also be because I wasn't in long enough to get to the point where I hated that feeling of total restriction. I did 1 deployment and 1 PCS, and I was satisfied w/ both. If I'd stayed in longer I may have understood better first-hand the disadvantages of AD others refer to.