Luke AFB Information

Hopefulflyer389

Family and I will be moving to Luke in August for F-16 B course and we’re need of some information on the local area; housing, things to do/not do, etc. Big thing is trying to figure out if we should do base housing or rent else where. Thanks in advanced. 

Standard answer... it depends. Base housing is about as convenient as it gets for your work. Most popular areas to live off base are Verrado, Litchfield Park, Surprise, Glendale (Westgate area), Buckeye, and Goodyear. Steer clear of Avondale and El Mirage... both are pretty rough.

I recommend looking for a single story house and one with solar to help offset the bills... summer months are brutal on the pocketbook due to electricity cost. Normal $$ for a 2-story in June, July and August is around $300-500 per month... and if you have a pool, it will only go up from there.

If you have kids in school, there are many options ranging from Luke Elementary (from what I have heard, not one of the greatest schools) to Private schools around the West Valley (Arizona will reimburse military members to basically offset the cost of private school to nearly nothing). Most popular options for schools are Trinity Lutheran, Verrado, Litchfield Park public schools are well regarded, and then there are several Charter Schools (Legacy, etc) around the area.

I’ve been stationed at Luke for the past 3.5 years. And will be here for the next 2.5. PM me if you have any other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been at Luke for 4 years. Everything whis said is true. Have lived in Goodyear and Buckeye and friends have lived all over. Obviously anything outdoors you can do in AZ. Hiking, camping, hunting and fishing all within minutes of Luke. Skiing and snowboarding up north for almost half the year. Hot, long summers and winters aren’t bad. Luke is only a few hours from California beaches, Vegas, and the Grand Canyon. I’ll be here for another 2 years as well. Daycare on base was great for my kid. If you’d like a different perspective from whis you can shoot me a PM as well. Seems like they know their stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Thanks 1