Passing of Matmacwc

ClearedHot

On 8/1/2017 at 5:36 PM, carminsandiego said:

a lot of upt studs in the 38 side seem to be labeling the viper as the "lame jet" since it lacks the (advertised) bells and whistles

On 8/3/2017 at 8:26 PM, matmacwc said:

You take advice from retards often?

My favorite exchange, helped shape my UPT dream sheet.

🥃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 7

Wow, this was a shock and very saddening, I had to re-read the OP a few times to make sure it wasn't a joke. I didn't know matmac personally but safe to say he seemed like a great guy/officer and well respected both on and off this forum. I remember years ago back when I was still an rotc cadet him and rainman shutting me down on a regular basis for saying standard ignorant cadet things but usually with a constructive tone (but not always... sometimes pure ownage at my expense). We exchanged a couple DM's later before I was med DQ'd and again he seemed like the real deal. Mat was one of the posters who kept me coming back to this forum over a decade after I discovered it and this news is a real tragedy.

RIP, him him

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Pyro was my student (Cadet, ERAU ROTC Prescott) and I returned for his commissioning 23 years ago. He stood out as one of the brightest, kindest and most engaging people I'd ever known.  Over the years, we stayed in touch and visited often; the last time being at his final role call at his AZ ANG unit last year. Remarkable but not surprising, the outpouring of admiration, respect and affection displayed by the standing room only crowd, many who'd traveled great distances, and included 2 General officers.  An inspirational, larger-than-life type, he became a mentor to my son, taking him up in the -16 sim, giving him a tour of the flight line and ultimately guidance and advice throughout ROTC and UPT.  We were able to attend the beautiful ceremony for Matt, and as expected, countless friends and fellow admirers came from all corners to pay their respects.  

Matt may have been a student at one point, but I probably learned more from him. 

Nickel on the grass

Edited by Scud
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

So I have never met matmacwc in person. But hearing that we lost him made me cry. He was extremely kind and helpful, always answered my questions, reassured me to try again when I was ready to quit. I just got picked up as pilot on the Active duty UPT board, but I can’t stop reflecting on how great a person he was to take the time to talk to me when there was nothing in it for him. Since I can’t message him and say thank you, I am saying it out here - loud and public. If there is a soul and god, may yours rest in heaven!

RIP sir!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2