Post IFC-1 LASIK Enhancements

GuestCadet

I had LASIK Surgery in July of 2017 and corrected to 20/20 in both eyes. I have a contracted flight spot coming out of AFROTC graduating and am commissioning June of 2020. I received my final IFC-1 clearance in October. I passed the vision component with 20/20 vision but it has since degraded to 20/40 in my right eye. I have free enhancements under the original procedure plan. Do I have to have approval from the Air Force to undergo this procedure and would I lose my FC-1 classification? What is the right way to go about getting this enhancement without endangering my medical clearance? Thanks for any help in advance. 

If you were to seek an enhancement now, your IFC I exam would be invalidated and you'd have to re-accomplish the eye portion after a six month mandatory wait.  You also are not allowed to get refractive surgery during pilot training.

If you don't have the six months to spare, my recommendation is to simply wear glasses and when you hit a point in your career when time allows, do the enhancement then.  Note that as a trained aircrew member the six months is no longer required to return to fly.  You can begin flying after refractive surgery when your eyes have healed and the vision is stable.  Typically a couple months after PRK and one or two after LASIK.  If you get it done in the AF, the enhancement is free.

Edited by stuckindayton
  • Upvote 2