US official: Pensacola shooting suspect was Saudi AF officer

Bob Uecker

On 12/8/2019 at 4:43 PM, fire4effect said:

I've said this before. How safe are the people off base either coming or going when a bad guy knows 99 percent of them are unarmed due to policy? Most higher leaders probably figure if it happens off base it's not their problem and their retired pay/post retirement employment aren't in jeopardy is what matters to them. It's not like the bad guys can't come along in a van and spray the long line of cars (made even longer by the new "security measures") waiting to drive on base.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_shootings_at_CIA_Headquarters

I had a SFS squadron commander at Randolph tell that me that to my face.  I mentioned the long line of cars every day outside the gate and the CIA gate shooting and he said, "It's not my problem if it happens out there."  

On 12/8/2019 at 3:43 PM, fire4effect said:

I've said this before. How safe are the people off base either coming or going when a bad guy knows 99 percent of them are unarmed due to policy? Most higher leaders probably figure if it happens off base it's not their problem and their retired pay/post retirement employment aren't in jeopardy is what matters to them. It's not like the bad guys can't come along in a van and spray the long line of cars (made even longer by the new "security measures") waiting to drive on base.

That is, hypothetically speaking, based on the belief that people actually abide by the insane base policy (it's not Federal law no matter how many people claim it is, read 18 U.S. Code §930).

Here in Texas, I suspect there are one or two that don't (again, hypothetically speaking).

The Lone Star State does things right!  The DoD could learn from it.

By the way, in case you didn't notice, open carry is allowed on Texas state military installations while not in uniform! 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

All of this!  What's the average reaction time of SF to something like this?  I can assure you it's long enough for me, and many of my friends to get filled with bullets.  At least give me a fighting chance.  I'll take my chances that SF would confuse me with the attacker. 

What's going to happen is people are just going to start carrying anyway and taking the chance that they'll get in trouble.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, SocialD said:

What's the average reaction time of SF to something like this? 

At PCola, it is long enough that off-base law enforcement can get to the scene and kill the shooter before the on-base military folks can.  WTF?!

I've been to the range with military cops and contractor-cops.  Not pretty.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuggyU2 said:

At PCola, it is long enough that off-base law enforcement can get to the scene and kill the shooter before the on-base military folks can.  WTF?!

Yeah, I hear the Coral Gables PD is sponsoring some load fire aim refreshers...

... too soon? 

1 hour ago, HuggyU2 said:

The amazing thing is it's not exactly like the API building is just inside the gate either. It's a bit of a drive from any gate you go through to get there.

On 12/9/2019 at 8:02 PM, M2 said:

That is, hypothetically speaking, based on the belief that people actually abide by the insane base policy (it's not Federal law no matter how many people claim it is, read 18 U.S. Code §930).

Here in Texas, I suspect there are one or two that don't (again, hypothetically speaking).

The Lone Star State does things right!  The DoD could learn from it.

By the way, in case you didn't notice, open carry is allowed on Texas state military installations while not in uniform! 

Hypothetically speaking I think you're absolutely right. I think many have probably starting to carry very discreetly especially in states where the culture off base supports it. Like the great state of Texas and its surrounding neighbors. Again hypothetically speaking. The first responder to any crime is the victim. 

2 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

Pentagon implements 'operational pause' on training of foreign students after Pensacola shooting

"Deputy Secretary of Defense David L. Norquist said in a memo Tuesday he was directing "immediately steps to strengthen personnel vetting for" international military students training inside the United States."

Sounds like this is for all foreign students. So half of the ENJJPT students wont be flying? Of course, we have to double check the Canadians, Danes, and Dutch. Can't point out that it's only 1-2 countries that need additional screening. I'm surprised the Navy got away with grounding all the Saudi's and risked offending bin Salman.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SocialD said:

NAS Corpus Christi was on lockdown this morning and now one suspect is in custody, no shots fired.

AZANG or Luke/DM/etc...?  We're allowed to carry onto base but have to keep them locked in our cars, which should be really helpful...

I'll quote a certain former commander I once had the pleasure of working for

"That's what security forces is for"

🤦‍♂️

The same security forces that put their bullets on my paper at the range.  And if your base is guarded by rent-a-cops, there'd better be a defib machine nearby because there's going to be a heart issue if they have to run anywhere.  Maybe that's why the sheriff's office got there first at P-Cola.

12 hours ago, SocialD said:

NAS Corpus Christi was on lockdown this morning and now one suspect is in custody, no shots fired.

AZANG or Luke/DM/etc...?  We're allowed to carry onto base but have to keep them locked in our cars, which should be really helpful...

AZANG.  Carry on your person. As if guys needed another reason to go guard...

On my installation in the TXANG, all of the buildings have No Firearms signs posted on the doors. I wasn’t even aware that we could carry on base until I saw the post a few above this one. Now I know why those signs exist. What good does the freedom to carry do for us if we can’t bring them into the buildings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/11/2019 at 9:33 AM, N730 said:

I'm surprised the Navy got away with grounding all the Saudi's and risked offending bin Salman.

MBS, the Saudi crown prince, should forevermore be known as Mohammad Bone Saw after what he ordered WRT Jamal Khashoggi. Fuck that guy.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

On my installation in the TXANG, all of the buildings have No Firearms signs posted on the doors. I wasn’t even aware that we could carry on base until I saw the post a few above this one. Now I know why those signs exist. What good does the freedom to carry do for us if we can’t bring them into the buildings?

Unless those are Federal buildings, there is no prohibition against carrying in them. 

In fact, here is the Texas Military Department Directive (Number 5210.01) signed by MG John Nichols, Texas Adjutant General, that authorizes carry on and in Texas Military Department installations and facilities...

https://tmd.texas.gov/Data/Sites/1/media/tmdpolicies/2018/tmdd-5210_01-privately-owned-firearms.pdf

8 hours ago, SocialD said:

Awesome, great to hear.  ANG here as well, just haven't had leadership willing to sign off on carry on base (just locked in car).  

The AZ Gov directed the ability to carry. That's who you need to order it. "It would be a political disaster if something like Pensacola happened in your state, blah, blah, presence in other states blah blah."

Scenario , if your illegally carrying your handgun in your daypack as you go to your workcenter . There is a mass shooter incident going on and you drop him and save many lives does leadership come down hard on you? I remember a Marine recruiting center was attacked and a Marine outside the center pulls his gun and kills the shooter, it put USMC leadership in uncomfortable spot. Is it better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6?

19 minutes ago, Prosuper said:

Scenario , if your illegally carrying your handgun in your daypack as you go to your workcenter . There is a mass shooter incident going on and you drop him and save many lives does leadership come down hard on you? I remember a Marine recruiting center was attacked and a Marine outside the center pulls his gun and kills the shooter, it put USMC leadership in uncomfortable spot. Is it better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6?

Probably not as uncomfortable as getting shot multiple times.  

I could just see it now.

Leadership:  You broke the rules!

Armed Recruiter:  Many people (myself included) are alive today because I broke the rules...

Leadership:  Ya, but you broke the rules...

Armed Recruiter:  Ya...but I'm alive!

Leadership:  We're still going to have to punish you!

Armed Recruiter:   Just so we're clear, you're punishing me for doing something that saved lives and is the reason I'm alive today?

Leadership:  But in doing so, you broke the rules!

Armed Recruiter:  But I'm alive...

Leadership: .......

Armer Recruiter:  Flips table!!!!!

In all seriousness, if that dude didn't get a medal or award, our world is fucked!

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prosuper said:

They tried stringing him up but it eventually, quietly, went away. Me thinks it was because of the optics of trying to punish a guy for saving others.