AD Pilot to CSO or USN NFO

12xu2a3x3

Question

Pair of truly bizarre questions:

could I go to:

UCT as an AD 11x? (I get the "why the hell would you" is another matter) I'd guess most of the "well over 30s" in UCT are guard/reserve types like UPT. Is there:

a.) a path

b.) no path because no one has tried, or

c.) no path because there isn't supposed to be one

or could i go to:

The Navy to be an NFO if I'm already a rated USAF pilot? I know their max age is 26 waiver-able up to additional 48 months for those in the military (I'm older than that). It's not a 1:1 change, pilot to pilot, so i would need their version of UCT correct?

probably just have to keep being a pilot right?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Former CSO and current RPA pilot, and I did stay at a Holiday In Express last night...

It was always my understanding that you can't go backwards in the hierarchy of wings, with the order of precedence being manned pilot -> RPA pilot -> CSO -> ABM.

I've known ABMs who became CSOs and manned pilots, CSOs who became manned pilots and RPA pilots (myself), and RPA pilots who became manned pilots, but I don't know anyone who has moved down the chain.

YMMV but I'm not sure what you want to do is possible, let alone advisable.

On 12/9/2019 at 11:13 AM, nsplayr said:

Former CSO and current RPA pilot, and I did stay at a Holiday In Express last night...

It was always my understanding that you can't go backwards in the hierarchy of wings, with the order of precedence being manned pilot -> RPA pilot -> CSO -> ABM.

I've known ABMs who became CSOs and manned pilots, CSOs who became manned pilots and RPA pilots (myself), and RPA pilots who became manned pilots, but I don't know anyone who has moved down the chain.

YMMV but I'm not sure what you want to do is possible, let alone advisable.

I have wondered for a while now if RPA pilots (18X series) fit into the military aviation "pecking order" yet?  I ask because it is such a new career field.  If a fellow washed form the RPA pilot pipeline, depending on the circumstances, would be possible for them to go to CSO or ABM?

When I was at Pensacola UNT circa 1998 there was a USN Navy pilot who became a F-14 RIO.  Apparently he couldn't pass carrier quals and instead of becoming a land-based pilot (P-3, etc.) he decided he had to do the carrier thing and became a NFO.  Likewise there was a USMC pilot who in the pipeline to become a Marine NFO while I was there for reasons I don't remember.