Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Desk Jobs Suck

Did you care about cars once you became a (fighter) pilot?

For those into performance cars, did you care about the hobby or your car once you started flying in UPT? Would an AMG or M class lose its luster after pulling G's in the 38? 

• Like 1

It won't ruin the experience, they're just so different.  In high performance airplanes I've found I'm mainly thinking about the mission and executing things correctly, not "weeeeeeeeeee!! I love g's so much!"  (g's hurt btw) . Very rare are the missions where you just get to f-off and cloud surf, but yes that is very fun.

Zipping around in a performance car is more straightforward fun because it's easy.  No one's grading you and there isn't going to be a debrief. You don't have a million things running through your mind while your body is being subjected to significant abuse.  

It will ruin roller coasters though.

Edited by Pooter
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

For those into performance cars, did you care about the hobby or your car once you started flying in UPT? Would an AMG or M class lose its luster after pulling G's in the 38? 

Are you a street junkie or do you track/participate in HPDE? If you are just out for a Sunday drive, no car on the road should compare to flying a fast jet or you are probably being reckless. A proper M car or an AMG GT would certainly get you pumped on the track. Driving the C7 Grand Sport to the limit on the track ranks equally with the most engaging sorties I've had. If you want a performance car skip the euro brands and get a C7 Vette. If you need 4 seats, get the ZL1. Even better, get a kart if you are close to a supermoto or karting facility.

Edited by Standby

I was actually about to buy into the scene. I'm not headed to UPT yet but just wanted to know if it was a stupid investment before dropping serious $$$. I'll probably hold off until I'm at UPT to make a better financial decision. 

• Like 1

You’ll have plenty of time to make impulsive purchases as a Lt

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

As a LT spending serious $ on a vehicle is stupid. Flying a fighter doesn’t ruin driving a vehicle. The Air Force finds a way to make everything not fun. All you think about in the plane is doing the mission, not enjoying flying.  Also, gs aren’t fun or cool. No one likes pulling them, even though any fighting falcon pilot you’ve met at an air show pretends they do. 

Edited by Hawg15
  • Like 2

As a LT spending serious $ on a vehicle is stupid....

This! I used to do a ton of autox and track days (time and priorities have shifted but I still enjoy one on occasion) if you are looking to get into the car scene for fun (not status symbol or “my car is fastest”) big money is not required. I have driven some seriously fast cars but they aren’t always more fun (often less fun) I bought a used Honda S2000 for $11k with part of my cadet loan and modded it slowly over the years. Still have it almost 11 years later and added a 2015 WRX to the mix as well. The fun per dollar ratio is insane. There are lots of really fun reasonably priced cars. Used Vettes, muscle cars, S2000’s, WRX, EVO, hell even the lowly miata is one of the most fun cars out there. These are all at least as fun as an M or AMG and often more so at a lower price point with affordable maintenance leaving money for consumables like tires and entry fees (the former of which will eat way more of your budget than you ever imagine).

• Like 1

It's a lot more fun driving a slow car fast than it is a fast car slow!

• Like 5

Apples and oranges. I would not rate any car experience as matching flying fighters, but that doesn’t mean cars aren’t awesome/fun. I’ve been a Vette guy for a long time and finally sold mine not too long ago. It wasn’t the flying comparison that drove the sale, it was changing life priorities. I also wish I hadn’t spent my entire cadet loan on a BMW, but it was fun. 

• Like 2

I'd opt to say shooting may lose it luster once you start raining 30mm hate!! BRRRRRRRRRRTTTT

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think you should wait until you fly a fighter before you make this decision

I've been flying fighters for 10+ years and I still get excited to go fly my Piper Cub at 80 mph.  Whatever you love doing won't change because of what you fly. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Don’t spent LT $$ on a ride. I almost pulled the trigger on a Vette before UPT, but pussed out and kept the old beater mustang til my first ops assignment, where I added a truck. Some luck involved, but some of the more prudent spending decisions I’ve made. Several years later I built a kit roadster that I love to abuse around time with the wife and kiddo. 

Wait to buy (or build) the fast car until the dent it makes on your bank account isn’t something you think twice about. Also, aside from your house, only buy it if you can pay for it in cash. Car payments are for suckers. 

In a weird scheme to turn a profit, every car maker (short of the really high-end stuff) makes plenty of each model for consumers to buy. You may regret the impulse purchase, but you’ll always have a second chance if you DON’T make an impulse purchase. 

Edited by ViperStud
  • Like 1

Factory Five cobra. Good kit for a non-pro/mechanic because there are a lot of them out there so the online forums are robust.

If you go this route, you’ll get to the point where you do every bit of maintenance on your cars yourself. It’s therapeutic plus there’s a rule where you can’t turn wrenches without drinking beer. The money I save in car MX alone vs the average Joe is just stupid; it’s a racket. My next project will be a GT40. With a little know-how, you can make these things for a lot less than most people think is possible. 

• Upvote 1

Went to UPT with a dude who built a Lotus 7 kit. He started it on TD1 and finished it by graduation. I was really impressed he had the time for it. 

Anyway, as a Lieutenant cars always seemed approachable to me but by Capt I realized how much money Motorsports costs. Don't get me wrong, I still have a Datsun 280Z I spent 4 years restoring, but if you want my honest advice, find a cheaper hobby. Once you become hooked on cars your wallet will forever suffer. 

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

Anyway, as a Lieutenant cars always seemed approachable to me but by Capt I realized how much money Motorsports costs. Don't get me wrong, I still have a Datsun 280Z I spent 4 years restoring, but if you want my honest advice, find a cheaper hobby. Once you become hooked on cars your wallet will forever suffer. 

Eh...It's only money, you'll make more.  You can't take it with you so enjoy the shit of the time you have. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SocialD said:

Eh...It's only money, you'll make more.  You can't take it with you so enjoy the shit of the time you have. 

I keep telling the wife this when car parts arrive in the mail. Unfortunately she doesn't see it that way. It's like that meme. Get your kids into cars and they'll never afford drugs. Or furniture or food. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 1:09 PM, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Not a performance car guy, but boy, sex sure has lost its appeal after pulling G’s in the -38 🙄

Firstly the -38 is shit at pulling G's.  You can get some G out of it but you still don't turn worth a crap.

I stayed into motorcycle racing through my first 10 years as a fighter pilot.  Have lost interest in the last 7 or 8 years because of the time requirements and I just enjoyed it less than I used to.  Plus I picked up a more expensive hobby - airplanes.  One thing I will say about fast rides though: once you start flying fast jets you care more about keeping your security clearance (not a butt-load of tickets) than you do about going fast.  

9 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

Not a performance car guy, but boy, sex sure has lost its appeal after pulling G’s in the -38 🙄

most important comma ever.

• Like 4
  • Haha 13
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, EvilEagle said:

One thing I will say about fast rides though: once you start flying fast jets you care more about keeping your security clearance (not a butt-load of tickets) than you do about going fast.  

This. I've had somewhere between 15-20 tickets in my life. I didn't realize this was a lot until I was asked about it on a security clearance questionnaire. (Not the SF86, but a different one). Speeding tickets are an absolute scam but its a scam the federal government mostly endorses, so as long as you are going to maintain employment, gotta play by the rules. 

On 11/22/2019 at 10:30 PM, ViperStud said:

Factory Five cobra. Good kit for a non-pro/mechanic because there are a lot of them out there so the online forums are robust.

Have you looked at any of the other FF kits? I love the looks and performance of the GTM but read bad things about the quality of the kit. I've also seriously considered the Type 65 Coupe. Now if I could just find the time...

23 hours ago, MilitaryToFinance said:

Have you looked at any of the other FF kits? I love the looks and performance of the GTM but read bad things about the quality of the kit. I've also seriously considered the Type 65 Coupe. Now if I could just find the time...

The 818 is the only other FFR kit that really interests me going forward, but probably not enough to pull the trigger.  Their hot rod and truck kits are good, from what I've heard, but I'd rather pursue a similar real-deal restoration if I were interested in one of those.  Maybe slightly more expensive, but worth it.  Not a huge fan of aesthetics of the type 65 coupe, so i haven't really looked into it.

My buddy built a GTM and for a while the garage at my place had both the GTM and Roadster in it.  I'd only recommend a GTM if someone were going to use it primarily at the track.  It's unwieldy on the road, the 3rd party support isn't too robust, some parts (like the gearbox) are a pain in the d!ck to track down and you've no shit got the harmonic balancer on the front end of the motor sitting between the driver and passenger.  I'm interested in building a supercar (not too soon though since mama just pickled) and from the research I've done I'm leaning hard towards the GT40 kits.  More money, no doubt, but I wasn't impressed by the GTM - kit quality, support, parts availability, driveability, etc.