Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Desk Jobs Suck

Did you care about cars once you became a (fighter) pilot?

To echo what other dudes are saying - fast cars are fun but it's also completely different.  The closest thing I've found to flying BFM in a fighter jet is taking a sport bike to a track.  FUN for sure, but it's not on the same level.  The difference is you can spend a few hours on the track and only 10 minutes fighting in the jet.  Also it gets expensive.

A good sports bike or a really good sports car will out accelerate a jet in lateral G, but the difference is that the acceleration in the jet doesn't really fade or stop like it does in a car.  Like when the turbos spool or the engine hits the power band, but then it just stays there.  Flying fast down low is a ton of fun, but I think the more I'm around the community, the ultimate isn't the aircraft performance, it's the employment.

But you should still absolutely get a sports car if you want one...

For me buying a sports car wasn’t an attempt to get my speed fix outside the cockpit, I just needed some bald eagles in my life and the family minivan just wasn’t cutting it.

I once drove a Mercedes Benz C63 AMG around the Nurburgring and now I am pulling G's for work. Like others have said here, I think a fast road car around the track is as much fun as a flying a low-level at 500kts. I wouldn't recommend dropping huge $$$ on a LT mobile. If you want the thrills but not the monthly debt, then go find one of those sweet rental places where you can find M3s, Lambos, Ferraris, or Corvettes to beat around a track. That is money well spent IMHO.

Not a fighter pilot, but I am a car nut. I used to do lots of auto cross and drag racing, but now I've graduated into a car that is too pricey to race but is more for cruises (9 deployments and no wife/kids gets you a nice car BTW). There is a huge social aspect into cars: clubs, racing, meets, etc so if you find yourself single and bored on the weekends cars is a great way to spend a morning amongst like minded enthusiasts.

I also value having friends outside of the Air Force so every social encounter didn't end up into the inevitable bitch fest about work...but we can instead bitch about how dumb the new Mustang SUV or Tesla truck is.

Agree with all of the above, minus the advice to not buy it when you're an LT.

Make stupid choices and have fun while you're young, you'll have plenty of time to recover from it and there are not many times in your life where you have that much money and no responsibility.

Or you could play by the rules, follow the book to the T and always make the smart, yet boring as fuck, decision...

Bottom line - go buy a sports car if that's what you're into. Why dont we have a car thread, btw?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Agreed on why sit on money and spend it when you are old and are in too much pain to enjoy it? Or dead? Eh, I don't have enough money for a M, RS, or AMG but maybe a Kia Stinger lol. I'll just hold onto my money until I actually get a UPT slot, really gotta stop putting the cart before the horse.... 

My list of cars and motorcycles is long and distinguished, some might say notorious... And I'd do it all again. Some I wish I'd not bought, others I wish I'd bought earlier and held onto. The bottom line, like many have stated is that the two don't compare and exist in completely different realms. Do it and don't look back. 

Plus there is always the satisfaction of wrenching on them which you don't get at work during your day job with your other toys.

I'm currently building/driving a 1972 Porsche 911T Outlaw with a RSR body and a small block behind the rear axle and wish I'd have gone this route a long time ago.

Edited by VMFA187

On 11/28/2019 at 9:48 AM, ViperStud said:

The 818 is the only other FFR kit that really interests me going forward, but probably not enough to pull the trigger.  Their hot rod and truck kits are good, from what I've heard, but I'd rather pursue a similar real-deal restoration if I were interested in one of those.  Maybe slightly more expensive, but worth it.  Not a huge fan of aesthetics of the type 65 coupe, so i haven't really looked into it.

My buddy built a GTM and for a while the garage at my place had both the GTM and Roadster in it.  I'd only recommend a GTM if someone were going to use it primarily at the track.  It's unwieldy on the road, the 3rd party support isn't too robust, some parts (like the gearbox) are a pain in the d!ck to track down and you've no shit got the harmonic balancer on the front end of the motor sitting between the driver and passenger.  I'm interested in building a supercar (not too soon though since mama just pickled) and from the research I've done I'm leaning hard towards the GT40 kits.  More money, no doubt, but I wasn't impressed by the GTM - kit quality, support, parts availability, driveability, etc.

What GT40 kits are you looking at?

6 hours ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Agreed. Post yours 

Done....

MyR35.jpg

Edited by RegularJoe
  • Upvote 2

On 12/4/2019 at 4:45 PM, VMFA187 said:

What GT40 kits are you looking at?

RCR and Superformance.  The Superformance kits are probably a bit better but I’m not sure if they are worth the price bump. Superformance Cobras are a little nicer than my FFR Cobra, but it wasn’t enough to justify the cost difference for me.

This is mine just before I finished all the trim, etc. Don’t think I have any recent ones. 

EDE6603B-1ECB-4BDD-A0E1-015D234D2EE8.jpeg

Edited by ViperStud
  • Upvote 1

•  
16 minutes ago, ViperStud said:

RCR and Superformance.  The Superformance kits are probably a bit better but I’m not sure if they are worth the price bump. Superformance Cobras are a little nicer than my FFR Cobra, but it wasn’t enough to justify the cost difference for me.

This is mine just before I finished all the trim, etc. Don’t think I have any recent ones. 

Nice Cobra. I wasn't aware that Superformance made kits you could put together yourself. I'm going to have to hold off on another project until my daughter gets older, it's impossible to spend more than an hour or so at a time and progress is crawling on my 911. 

IMG_8322.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They’re not pure kits like FFR, RCR and some others. Some Superformance cars can be bought without the drivetrain, others are sold only as complete cars. I think the GT40 is only sold complete but I did hear a rumor that the non-drivetrain option is possible. Haven’t dug deep with them because I think I’d favor a complete build. 

Right now I’ve got a 2-month-old; this one is gonna wait a few years. 

Edited by ViperStud

EFFECTS.thumb.jpg.23694e25b8c5ed30081c5883f58d41f4.jpg

My 280Z after pulling it out from the garage after visiting home from Korea. Unfortunately she will sit there another 3 years while I go to Europe. Still needs a front bumper replacement/some trim work. I've been slowly fixing her up for about 4 years now. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guess this is the car thread now? Here I'm running my daily driver stock Z06 at the Lone Pine Time Trials on Manzanar Airfield in California. It's kind of like autocross, only with speeds well into the 100's.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dotonfire said:

@StoleIt I'd love know know how the Vipers and the Z compare.

The Gen 2 is very different from the Gen 3. I'd say the Gen 3 is a lot closer to the Vette in terms of refinement (it has a cup holder!). The Gen 2 was stupidly fun to drive and a completely unpractical car. In short...I loved it.

I daily drove my Z06 through UPT and it was a great car for that purpose. But once I got a daily driver I wanted something more extreme, thus the Gen 2. Then I replaced it with the Gen 3 which was modded, supercharged, and fast as hell. I imagine a stock Gen 3 and a C6 Z06 would have been pretty similar, but everyone has a Vette. So the Viper definitely gets more attention and sticks out from the crowd.

Toys

Last sportbike I had - Aprilia RSV Mille R (gone)

First Airplane - Glasair (gone)

Bonanza & BMW

S7 & Bonanza

T-6 (don't own it but spend a bunch of money flying it)

Track1.jpg

Glasair.jpg

Bike_Bo.jpg

S7_Bo.jpg

T6.jpg

The first was my garage as a Hornet student, the latter when I was at Miramar. Loved all of them. There’s a C5 Corvette and about six other bikes somewhere in the last decade or so as well.

44DD1891-13AC-4D4A-8D0D-0414E14C3FF1.jpeg

DD53688C-BF12-4FB3-AB0F-C34D04580C75.jpeg

I only ask because I own an old Camaro, and have daily driven it for the last 8 years. I'm a huge muscle car guy. When I worked in the automotive journalist and auto repair industries everyone was a car guy. Outside of it, I rarely meet car people. I work in education currently and there are no car guys. In my neighborhood no one is either, just a sea of Camry and Accords. I figure some of you pilots have to be right?

Had a 71 stingray I did a ton of work on for 12 years. Awesome car, but life changes and it’s gone now. Now onto sinking money into airplanes!

I have a C5 Corvette.  There are a few car guys in my squadron, but definitely not a majority.

similar discussion here:

2 hours ago, brabus said:

Had a 71 stingray I did a ton of work on for 12 years. Awesome car, but life changes and it’s gone now. Now onto sinking money into airplanes!

What engine did you have?

I'm never getting rid of my Camaro. It's apart of me now.