An Early Look At My Chances

Hello all,

Disclaimer:  It is still too early for me to be making applications to any units at this time.  But, I am trying to improve myself and my resume early.

Goal:

My goal is to get a slot in a Guard/Reserve unit that flies fighters (F-15 and -16 primarily) or C-130s (MAFFS unit or AFSOC).

About Me:

Summed Up:

Current GPA - 3.7, towards a B.S. in Aeronautical Science/Minor in Organizational Leadership, but will be switching majors next fall (Explanation below)

AFSC: 2A6X4 (Taking this coming spring semester off from school to go to Basic/Tech), MT ANG, E-3.

Flight hours: ~50, student pilot fixed wing.

AFOQT/TBAS/PCSM: no scores at current, recruiter suggested to wait until after returning from Basic/Tech, when I'll be closer to getting a degree.

LORs: 2 retired AD Lt. Col.'s, Squadron Commander, and SNCO in my shop. Also the former undersheriff in my hometown, pastors, and a Battalion Chief in the USFS.

Volunteer and leadership work:

-Elected officer in 4H through high school(Treasurer, Vice President),

-Elected officer (VP) and member of Elections Committee in an Amateur Radio club,

-Member of Amateur Radio Emergency Service, which included many hours working with the Red Cross on natural disasters in California,

-Member of volunteer Search and Rescue Team through local Sheriff's Office for 2 years

Addressing Higher Education

I took 46 credits of dual-enrollment courses in high school, primarily in gen-ed courses, 17 of which were in Spanish. Then, I took two years off after high school to try and get up enough money to go to college. That plan didn't go very well, but I managed to get into a college with a 4 year part 141 aviation program last year. Technically, I am currently a first semester Sophomore, but I have taken a total of 82 credits. 26 of my previous credits are "electives" at this school. 10 counted toward my generals, and 10 didn't count at all. The remaining 36 I earned in the past 3 semesters.

I am going to leave this current institution after this semester because there are some issues that have arisen in the program that are beyond my control, and to be frank are screwing me over.  Long story short, I worked on my PPL here for 16 months, but then quit the program after the second time I went over a month without touching an airplane/simulator/getting a lesson (for reference, the syllabus calls for 3 flights a week, and the program is supposed to be quick enough to reach MEI-I in 4 years). I will finish up my private via Part 61 when I get back from Basic. Next fall, I will be transferring to Montana State University.

I haven't decided for certain yet, but I believe I will choose Spanish Language as my major, just to take advantage of all the credits I already have in that area. I would only need to take a couple general credits and 2-3 Spanish classes to get my degree, assuming I understood the requirements. 2-3 semesters if I do it right. 4 semesters if I want to be eligible for Honors Distinction.

My concern is that this bouncing around will look bad to a hiring board. Especially applying for a position as a pilot after leaving a flight program. Is that something I should worry about, or will it just be something that I have to explain in an interview and hope it buffs out?

What other areas should I work to improve, and how can I improve them? Is there something I'm missing that I need to add before I begin sending out packets?

I appreciate the feedback, and I'll be happy to expound on anything I may not have made clear here.

-TK

They won't care about that bouncing around, at least not like you did. In and out of college maybe, but it's whole person concept. You're probably a good candidate to interview with all you've done so far. Go to BMT/Tech School, be a good troop in your shop, finish you degree and keep flying if you can. You truly shouldn't have trouble getting interviews. Hack all those beans and get ready to start interviewing.

Edited by 12xu2a3x3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the feedback.  I’m glad to see that the work I’ve been putting in might actually be worth the sweat I put into it. 

I don’t want to make this a sob story or anything, but I’ve been working toward a pilot slot since about 6th or 7th grade, only to keep having the goal line pushed farther and farther back.  So to have all this work justified gave me another spurt of inspiration and motivation. 

-TK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Trinity Kid said:

Thank you for the feedback.  I’m glad to see that the work I’ve been putting in might actually be worth the sweat I put into it. 

I don’t want to make this a sob story or anything, but I’ve been working toward a pilot slot since about 6th or 7th grade, only to keep having the goal line pushed farther and farther back.  So to have all this work justified gave me another spurt of inspiration and motivation. 

-TK

Every one of us here who has gotten selected for a pilot slot has a story of adversity along the process or a time where we had to fight for it or lose it. You will too. Embrace it and use it to make yourself a better candidate now and a better co-pilot/wingman in the future.