Combat Controller Lost in Gulf Near Hurlburt

Danger41

Crazy/sad story of a Combat Controller just ID’d by the Air Force that unintentionally came out of the back of a 130 into the Gulf of Mexico. Massive search effort was unsuccessful.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/11/10/air-force-identifies-combat-controller-lost-in-gulf-of-mexico/

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, raimius said:

RIP 🍺 

"Unplanned parachute departure"...is that a chute opening in the aircraft or the harness failing on opening? 

"Praying for him and his family"

Here's some info from Friday - via my local grapevine/I live in Mary Esther (take with a serious grain of salt but it does sound plausible): "His emergency parachute somehow accidentally deployed while he was standing near the aircraft ramp. 
He was then pulled out of the plane and possibly injured in the process.
After he landed in the water he was seen alive and looked to be treading water.
They are trained to immediately remove their gear so not to impede swimming or treading water.
His gear was recovered by search teams, but he has not been found.
He has 2 children."

I watched them load up as I drove by the runway on my way to work. I was wondering why a few hours later a 130 was circling so low over the gulf. My buddy was in the air as the search started, the amount of help and support was pretty humbling, fighters, bombers, tankers from all over the south were overhead almost immediately (relatively speaking) 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I don’t understand the relevance of the quote here.

Ugh... wow. Bad timing. I just changed my signature block to Hanlons Razor about a week ago?

Jesus that is bad. So sorry. Q-3 for low SA stand by for changing it back.

No offense meant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Skitzo said:

Ugh... wow. Bad timing. I just changed my signature block to Hanlons Razor about a week ago?

Jesus that is bad. So sorry. Q-3 for low SA stand by for changing it back.

No offense meant.

Ah, I figured it couldn't have been intended the way it looked at first glance. No prob.

• 1 year later...

The car driven by #24 William Byron in today’s NASCAR race is dedicated to Cole.  He’s been in the lead for the last few laps, and doing outstanding throughout he race.  Fitting tribute.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1