Unit transfers

How common is it for pilots to transfer units after a few years, and how difficult of a process is it?  I done know any who has done this, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what happens, and if it might be frowned upon.  Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I did Regular to IRR to SELRES to ANG to PIRR. Easiest was SELRES to ANG. The most difficult was ANG to PIRR due to required recruiter involvement. The recruiter didn’t know what to do or how to do it. I ultimately had to go above him to the regional recruiter who did know what to do. Additionally the ANG process is longer due to a requirement to get a conditional release from the chain all the way to TAG, which shouldn’t be a big deal, but took a lot of prodding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on why you are asking.  I've seen a few guys get hired somewhere just to get a pilot slot/fighter slot/whatever then bail out on that unit at the first possible chance to move back to their home unit or a different unit.  This is highly frowned upon (at least in the fighter community).  

Know that an ANG unit that sends you to UPT has to release you before you can transfer to another unit.  You owe 10 years after UPT so "quitting" then joining another unit isn't a thing unless the losing unit allows it.  We are in such a manning crunch these last few years that we have had to deny or seriously delay transfers to other units.   We have worked with the members to get them moved as soon as the squadron could sustain it but it's not the same as it was 6 or 7 years ago when people just walked in one day and said "hey man, I'm going to transfer to XXX place.  Cya" 

BL:  I highly discourage joining a unit while already planning on a transfer.  If you are doing that, be upfront with the unit in order for both sides to manage expectations.