Guard/Reserve unit slot questions.

Trying to understand how the slot process works for the guard/ reserve units. How do units receive their slots every year? My assumption would be that its passed down through budget and if so does that come down at the beginning of every fiscal year? Also how does that couple with a unit having a reserved spot in the training pipeline for a new hire? Ive heard of people getting selected, sent to wright pat quickly, and then having to wait for training dates, does the FC1 process run off a separate budget/ queue? 

Slots are based off projected openings in the Squadron. (Ex. if someone is retiring or leaving, then their line is open to fill) for the most part. Units dont necessarily reserve a spot in OTS/UPT/FTU. The Guard Bureau has an allotment and they will assign as necessary depending on multiple factors including unit manning.

Long story short, luck of the draw with you and your unit and getting your paperwork pushed quickly. All depends on who you get and who you or your people know.

15 hours ago, flammable said:

Slots are based off projected openings in the Squadron. (Ex. if someone is retiring or leaving, then their line is open to fill) for the most part. Units dont necessarily reserve a spot in OTS/UPT/FTU. The Guard Bureau has an allotment and they will assign as necessary depending on multiple factors including unit manning.

Long story short, luck of the draw with you and your unit and getting your paperwork pushed quickly. All depends on who you get and who you or your people know.

This is different from what one unit told me, but I am not in the position to very either. So take it with a grain of salt. Before I got picked up I had the guy running the board of one unit tell me that generally each unit is allotted one UPT slot. But he said they could request more if they could provide justification (didn't hire the previous year, manning issues, previous hire failed their medical, etc.).

Hopefully one of the former squadron commanders or long time guard guys can pipe in and clarify.

Honestly though, @TotableMink, I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't make too much of a difference for you. It is a long wait regardless. Getting to the medical isn't the long part. Waiting for the FC1 to get signed and waiting for your appointment package to be approved by NGB is what takes forever. 

Edited by N730