Please Advise

ihtbasitc

Hello all, this is my first post on the threads. I'm looking to get a pilot slot. I'd take c-17 or c-130, but I'd love to get into a fighter (f-15/f-16) slot. Here are my credentials:

Degree: BS in Mechanical Engineering (3.2 GPA) from URI

AFOQT: 99/99/99/98/95

PCSM: 94

Flying time: PPL with 80 hrs

Currently an E6 in the RIANG with 10 years in

Letters: Strong letter from sqd cdr (O5), strong letter from sxn lead (E8), good letter from sup (E8)

I'd say I have good interview skills. I've never had a job interview from which I didn't get an offer. However, I've heard the interviews have more casual questions (tell me a joke, what's your craziest story, etc...) but I think I can handle that. I'd like to know how much trouble I'll be faced with for my B/B+ GPA from a state school.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ihtbasitc

2 hours ago, ihtbasitc said:

Hello all, this is my first post on the threads. I'm looking to get a pilot slot. I'd take c-17 or c-130, but I'd love to get into a fighter (f-15/f-16) slot. Here are my credentials:

Letters: Strong letter from sqd cdr (O5), strong letter from sxn lead (E8), good letter from sup (E8)

I'd say I have good interview skills. I've never had a job interview from which I didn't get an offer. However, I've heard the interviews have more casual questions (tell me a joke, what's your craziest story, etc...) but I think I can handle that. I'd like to know how much trouble I'll be faced with for my B/B+ GPA from a state school.

Thanks in advance.

The school doesn’t necessarily matter. I did my degree online and will be going fighters. You have good stats and I would apply to everywhere. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ihtbasitc said:
Thanks in advance.

I got hired to a fighter unit with a slightly lower GPA, similar(a couple of points lower) AFOQT scores, similar hours, and a slightly higher PCSM. Different units have different priorities. I had one interview where I was grilled about my GPA and another where it wasn't even mentioned. As long as your transcript isn't covered in Fs, you'll be fine. And even if it is, you'll probably be fine if your recent performance is good and you can show what you learned from the previous failure.

Everything else looks solid and your scores are great. Regarding the interviews questions being casual, again, it depends.

They MIGHT give you one or two, so I'd be prepared for it, but wouldn't count on it. Check out the interview questions topic. I can't speak for heavies since I didn't interview with any, but expect a few extremely serious questions at fighter interviews. The interviews weren't equivalent to any job interview I've had before.

Overall, I think you're in good shape. Just remember to apply everywhere. If you want to focus on fighters, take a year and do that. But apply to every unit that has an A-10, F-15, F-16, F-22, or F-35. It's hard to do, so don't limit yourself.

And one last thing, please don't repeat "I'd take a C-17 or C-130". Really makes it sound like they're your back up, and they may be, but it's not the best idea to vocalize that. They're great aircraft with aircrew that love them. It's difficult enough to get hired, so avoid saying things that could make your process harder.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

Edited by N730
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ihtbasitc said:

Noted, thanks for the thorough response and being candid.

No worries. Just something to think about. If they're interviewing a guy that loves the Herk and has wanted to fly it for years or a guy that sounds like he thinks he is settling, who are they going to pick?

If you like the aircraft, a better way to phrase it would be that you are also interested in C-17s and C-130s.

To tac on to what the others mentioned...

I was already sponsored by a heavy unit, but my situation was a little unique. I had wanted to be a fighter pilot since I was a teenager, but things didn't work out, so I (very graciously) took what I had available to me until another opportunity came up (long story).

As for what you said, it's not an absolute bust if you "wouldn't mind flying a Herc or C-17"; as a super nerd, I'd be down to fly a Space Shuttle if I had the chance, especially if it had the GAU-8/A Avenger :M16a2: 

If you do say what @N730 stated along the lines of, "I've always wanted to fly the Herk since I was a wee little lad", then maybe your interviewers would think you're heart isn't completely in their fighter/attack mission.

The folks at your interview will snuff you out if you're not genuine; that's the most important factor I'd say. Be yourself and evaluate why you want to be a fighter or attack pilot and what mission speaks to your identity/calling/(insert whatever here). Just as importantly, you're not just hiring for the position, you're hiring into the unit/family.

Unit cohesion is key and "fitting in" with the right unit plays just as importantly a role as having the fighter pilot aptitude. Remember, they are hiring someone for at minimum 12 years... they're gonna want to be able to put up with you for the long haul.

As for your packet, it looks way better than mine did, but I count my blessings cause I have a great network of friends/family who have helped and supported me through this process, especially in tailoring/reviewing my packet.

Now, for your B/B+ GPA, I was in the same boat, and frankly, my unit didn't ask about it (Electrical Eng. - 3.1 GPA); so I think you'll be fine.

As what others have said, throw that packet out there, compete and be yourself., you should do just fine. All the best! 🤙

To tac on to what the others mentioned...  I was already sponsored by a heavy unit, but my situation was a little unique. I had wanted to be a fighter pilot since I was a teenager, but things didn't work out, so I (very graciously) took what I had available to me until another opportunity came up (long story).

As for what you said, it's not an absolute bust if you "wouldn't mind flying a Herc or C-17"; as a super nerd, I'd be down to fly a Space Shuttle if I had the chance, especially if it had the GAU-8/A Avenger emoticons3_M16a2.gif 

If you do say what[mention=79488]N730[/mention] stated along the lines of, "I've always wanted to fly the Herk since I was a wee little lad", then maybe your interviewers would think you're heart isn't completely in their fighter/attack mission.

The folks at your interview will snuff you out if you're not genuine; that's the most important factor I'd say. Be yourself and evaluate why you want to be a fighter or attack pilot and what mission speaks to your identity/calling/(insert whatever here). Just as importantly, you're not just hiring for the position, you're hiring into the unit/family.

Unit cohesion is key and "fitting in" with the right unit plays just as importantly a role as having the fighter pilot aptitude. Remember, they are hiring someone for at minimum 12 years... they're gonna want to be able to put up with you for the long haul.

As for your packet, it looks way better than mine did, but I count my blessings cause I have a great network of friends/family who have helped and supported me through this process, especially in tailoring/reviewing my packet.

Now, for your B/B+ GPA, I was in the same boat, and frankly, my unit didn't ask about it (Electrical Eng. - 3.1 GPA); so I think you'll be fine.

As what others have said, throw that packet out there, compete and be yourself., you should do just fine. All the best! 🤙

I guess I wasn't clear. I would never recommend someone lie about being interested in an airframe. I was just saying that if he's genuinely interested in an airframe, not to make it sound like he is settling.

That's why I said to say he is also interested in the aircraft. I'd never suggest that he say it's his favorite and his dream when that's not the case.