Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kiloalpha

What To Expect Joining AD At 29 Years Old

Well, after years of chasing ANG fighter squadrons around the US, I'm looking at the AD option.

The downside is that by the time I finish the whole AD onboarding process and make it to UPT, I'll be 29 years old. I'm curious if you guys have some insight into how that will affect me in my career, how/if it will impact promotion, opportunities for me down the road, etc. I fully expect to be an old dude among younger guys, but I'm more concerned with the AF trying to put me in a corner for my career because I don't line up with the typical timeline.

5 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

Well, after years of chasing ANG fighter squadrons around the US, I'm looking at the AD option.

The downside is that by the time I finish the whole AD onboarding process and make it to UPT, I'll be 29 years old. I'm curious if you guys have some insight into how that will affect me in my career, how/if it will impact promotion, opportunities for me down the road, etc. I fully expect to be an old dude among younger guys, but I'm more concerned with the AF trying to put me in a corner for my career because I don't line up with the typical timeline.

Zero impact. Probably helps. The Air Force only cares about year group. Age will only be an issue if you don’t act it or try to use it to get respect you think you deserve because of it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, K_O said:

Zero impact. Probably helps. The Air Force only cares about year group. Age will only be an issue if you don’t act it or try to use it to get respect you think you deserve because of it.

Gotcha. Thanks for letting me know.

I wasn’t sure if there was some “has to reach x rank by x age” regulations.” They probably take care of that with the whole “up or out” system?

A jail sentence... it’s the answer that I got when I was thinking about going AD. Most of the dudes I talked to were in the C17 community. It might be different in other aircraft families.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

Gotcha. Thanks for letting me know.

I wasn’t sure if there was some “has to reach x rank by x age” regulations.” They probably take care of that with the whole “up or out” system?

You’ll be able to have a normal AF career, for what that’s worth.  With what I know now I’d do it all over again, but better. Best advice I’d give my younger self is one, to find someone smart on the AF and ahead of you career-wise who will mentor you along the way and stick with you for the long run. Two, be assertive and take control of your career while remaining humble and respectful.

• Upvote 1