Army to Air Force IST

SixtyFourDriver

Question

I am a Captain and AH-64 pilot in the Army and have reached the point in my career where it is time to evaluate my options for continuing to serve and fly. I have visited the Air Force IST website and understand the procedural steps required to submit an application for a service transfer. However, what I really need to know is if it a realistic and feasible option to consider. I understand that a fixed wing slot is not an option and I am just fine with that, I love flying helicopters and want to continue to do so. If there is anyone on this forum who has direct knowledge of the IST process (specifically for Army rotary wing transferring to AF rotary wing) your input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

My main questions are:

First and foremost, is this even a realistic option?

How seamless and/or convoluted is the process?

How does the training pipeline and aircraft selection process work for a rated Army aviator?

Thanks in advance to any and all who can provide guidance.     

4 answers to this question

UH60 guy here , I’ve been guard my entire career . I wouldn’t say fixed wing is off the table . I was recently selected by a heavy unit to go back to UPT and transition eventually into the C-17. Actually a good many guys have made the jump and are fixed wing now. As far as active to active , I’m not really sure most of the guys who have done it I know are guard or reserve going guard or reserve . I’m sure someone will chime in with first hand knowledge on the road you have to take . Regardless be patient and persistent . Go knock out the AFOQT and TBAS as soon as possible if you already have not done so . Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

@JustHangingOut

@CharlieHotel47

I'd recommend sending these two gentleman a PM as they're two well known members here who went from Army to AF Guard/Reserve (If I'm not mistaken).

As suggested get your AFOQT/TBAS test knocked out if you haven't (search on here for study prep), and join The pilot network on (TPN) on facebook. Search for posts concerning this topic or make your own on there as there are several people that have made the switch.

Good luck!

I am a Captain and AH-64 pilot in the Army and have reached the point in my career where it is time to evaluate my options for continuing to serve and fly. I have visited the Air Force IST website and understand the procedural steps required to submit an application for a service transfer. However, what I really need to know is if it a realistic and feasible option to consider. I understand that a fixed wing slot is not an option and I am just fine with that, I love flying helicopters and want to continue to do so. If there is anyone on this forum who has direct knowledge of the IST process (specifically for Army rotary wing transferring to AF rotary wing) your input and advice would be greatly appreciated.
My main questions are:
How does the training pipeline and aircraft selection process work for a rated Army aviator?

Are you AD Army wanting you go AD Air Force? How old are you?

Q1- It’s absolutely a possibility. As long as you don’t have anything that will prevent the army from releasing you like an ADSO.

Q2-As far as how convoluted things might get? It all varies on what route you are trying to take AD, AFRC, Ang. Whichever path you might choose, you will have to go thru a ARB process. The Air Force will take their sweet time validating your army aviation training. It sucks. It takes very long but at the end, most bros will get credit for some army stuff (flying hrs and flight pay initiation date).

Q3 I’m not too sure about the training pipeline. You won’t have to go thru UPT but will have to attend the air forces 60 course in addition to a couple of PR courses.

Lastly, check the IST website again. I remember last time I was lurking around on it there something about the Inter service transfer excluding pilot positions. I didn’t go AD, but did looked at it as a plan C... If things haven’t changed, the only way to jump ship is the apply to the active duty rated/UPT board that happens annually. I have some contacts for the folks that manage the board at Randolph AFB. If your goal is to go AD, give them a call. Ask questions about your specific situation.

Hope that helps. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

On 10/24/2019 at 12:54 PM, SixtyFourDriver said:

My main questions are:

Totally doable, I had a buddy recently go AD Air Force from a 60 background in the army. He knew his aircraft and duty station before starting AD AF.

he got Huey’s and when the AF changes those over to their new aircraft he will get that as well.