Age Waivers still a thing for Street-to-UPT?

LJ15

Hi all,

I’ve been waiting to post here with some fresh AFOQT/TBAS scores, but I still haven’t been able to sit for the test, so I figured I should start in the meantime.  Once the recruiter heard my age (32), he balked at pilot talk, and went straight into pushing me toward CSO or Intel (neither of which I have interest in).

Background:  BS/MS Aero Eng.  Entire post-college work history is govt. contracting, in Aero Eng. related fields.  Oh, and my work site shares the airfield with the Guard unit I am most interested in (what I’m getting at, is they know the group I work for, and that I know what the locality entails).  The past couple of years I’ve been working as a volunteer with a different govt org that is involved with disaster relief - the unit’s State mission is also involved with this.

GPA: 3.1/3.1.  Not the best but not terrible, I figure recent work history may be more important?

Flight Experience:  PPL, ~120 hrs (currently studying for IR written).

AFOQT - As stated, I still haven’t sat for the test yet, and would appreciate any help there.  I know I’m low on the totem pole with my recruiter, since he doesn’t think an age waiver will go thru, and he’s pushing me toward Intel so I could work with a different unit/recruiter.  I also have a medical waiver I would need, and he wants that to go thru before testing.  I have been studying the past few months (and also studying for the GRE in parallel).  I could drop everything and take it tomorrow, if it came to that (oh yeah, the local MEPS is also right next to my worksite).

LOR:  Still working this front, but I know I could get my CFI, past professors, and probably a GS-15/SES-01 or two.

The unit’s next UPT board is in Jan 2020, so I’m getting pretty anxious with test dates and such.  Would my somewhat-relevant background make up for a lack of prior service when it comes to age waivers?

Thanks for you time.

What airframe? If it's heavies you're fine. The official limit is 33 and people have been waivered as high as 36, maybe more. If it's fighters that's a different ball game. If you know the pilots at the unit really well and otherwise are a strong candidate, you might sneak in. If not, definitely apply, never rule yourself out, just don't hold your breath.

To answer the testing questions:

If you really want to make that January board, think hard about your test dates. If you can take the AFOQT and TBAS whenever (by whenever I mean the test administrator is cool with whenever) then make sure you're totally prepared and take it then. If you've reached out to where you're going to take the AFOQT and the TBAS and found out they only do them certain times or scheduling will be difficult, get it done ASAP. When I did the AFOQT my options were that week I called (I wasn't ready) or wait 3 months. TBAS was another 3 weeks after that.

With regards to the recruiter: the recruiter has their best interests in mind, not yours. They can be helpful but don't take everything they say at face value.

Local options are heavies and helios (there is a fighter squadron nearby, but already I figured that was a no-go).  The Jan board I’m interested is for the C-130J.  I do have one friend who flies over there and another who is finishing up training for a non-pilot job. I’ve been able to get some good info from them in terms of how the unit works, and QoL and such, but haven’t broken thru the “party with the Wing” barrier yet.

It sounds like two tests a month are offered, it’s just a matter of getting the actual dates cleared with the recruiter.  There is also a ROTC program nearby, but I haven’t heard back if they allow non-students to test there.

Local options are heavies and helios (there is a fighter squadron nearby, but already I figured that was a no-go).  The Jan board I’m interested is for the C-130J.  I do have one friend who flies over there and another who is finishing up training for a non-pilot job. I’ve been able to get some good info from them in terms of how the unit works, and QoL and such, but haven’t broken thru the “party with the Wing” barrier yet.

It sounds like two tests a month are offered, it’s just a matter of getting the actual dates cleared with the recruiter.  There is also a ROTC program nearby, but I haven’t heard back if they allow non-students to test there.

It's only a no-go for fighters if you don't try.

Tell the recruiter to politely eat shit, and go find someone willing to help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LJ15 said:

Get one of your two friends at the unit to call the wings training office and schedule with them directly. Its literally as easy as one call and you can go test during the next offering. Doesnt take more than 2 weeks to study for the AFOQT. Once that is done call the ROTC unit and schedule the TBAS, they will take you or at least every detachment ive known does.

Shit, tell me what base and I’ll call them up and do it for you 😎

Totally feasible; especially for heavies. I got waivered off the street at 36 (technically 37, by the time I started UPT). It’s all in how hard you’re willing to hustle to get there, but a lot of my hustle was in getting the stuff that was needed (test scores, medical, recruiting paperwork, etc.) done before/right after getting hired. 

Get your AFOQT and TBAS done (when you’re ready to test); sooner the better. If you get 80s-90s on Pilot, Nav, and PCSM, you’ll get a lot more attention from recruiters and units. You said you needed a medical waiver, which is another huge hurdle and something that might give units pause, so get rolling on going to MEPS and, if it’s possible, try to get an FC1 out of the way to ensure those med waivers don’t hold you back. You’ll have to have that before you go to a UPT board and that takes time.

Get a solid packet together and get working with a recruiter if you’re looking at Reserves options. A single Reserves recruiter can handle any Reserves unit you’re interested in; Guard will have individual recruiters for each unit, which makes things tougher (but still doable; just more duplication of efforts). 

It’s all based on your hustle and anything is possible until you’ve heard ”Yes” or your final “No.” Keep networking, keep digging for what you can do next to help your cause, and don’t let any “No” answers dissuade you from trying more options. Part of it all is proving how bad you want it and putting in your own legwork and being persistent will go a long way to showing you’re serious. 

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, jonlbs said:

Get one of your two friends at the unit to call the wings training office and schedule with them directly. Its literally as easy as one call and you can go test during the next offering. Doesnt take more than 2 weeks to study for the AFOQT. Once that is done call the ROTC unit and schedule the TBAS, they will take you or at least every detachment ive known does.

Shit, tell me what base and I’ll call them up and do it for you 😎

OK cool, that’s an angle I can work.

And, I’m trying to keep stuff vague in order not to dox myself, but, primary target is 129th.

22 hours ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

Totally feasible; especially for heavies. I got waivered off the street at 36 (technically 37, by the time I started UPT). It’s all in how hard you’re willing to hustle to get there, but a lot of my hustle was in getting the stuff that was needed (test scores, medical, recruiting paperwork, etc.) done before/right after getting hired. 

Get your AFOQT and TBAS done (when you’re ready to test); sooner the better. If you get 80s-90s on Pilot, Nav, and PCSM, you’ll get a lot more attention from recruiters and units. You said you needed a medical waiver, which is another huge hurdle and something that might give units pause, so get rolling on going to MEPS and, if it’s possible, try to get an FC1 out of the way to ensure those med waivers don’t hold you back. You’ll have to have that before you go to a UPT board and that takes time.

Get a solid packet together and get working with a recruiter if you’re looking at Reserves options. A single Reserves recruiter can handle any Reserves unit you’re interested in; Guard will have individual recruiters for each unit, which makes things tougher (but still doable; just more duplication of efforts). 

It’s all based on your hustle and anything is possible until you’ve heard ”Yes” or your final “No.” Keep networking, keep digging for what you can do next to help your cause, and don’t let any “No” answers dissuade you from trying more options. Part of it all is proving how bad you want it and putting in your own legwork and being persistent will go a long way to showing you’re serious. 

Good luck!

Thanks man, I’ve read a bunch of your comments, and it has inspired me to keep going on the path.  I think this medical thing should be pretty straight forward, but you never know.

• 3 months later...

Update:  I finally got a test date.  Still waiting to take the TBAS (hopefully next week but that’s not confirmed yet) but my AFOQT scores are: P-95/N-89/A-83/V-96/Q-56.

I’m less than impressed with that Quant score, but workable?

3 hours ago, LJ15 said:

Update:  I finally got a test date.  Still waiting to take the TBAS (hopefully next week but that’s not confirmed yet) but my AFOQT scores are: P-95/N-89/A-83/V-96/Q-56.

You have better scores than I did and I also needed an age/medical waiver. Keep pushing!

Edited by OnlyInCleveland

On 2/21/2020 at 7:41 PM, LJ15 said:

You're fine and, if you interview well, you likely won't get more than a passing rib of math not being your strong suit. My quant was about half of yours (the rest of my scores were comparable to yours) and, besides for a ball-breaking in the interview with me admitting I'm a bit math...challenged..., not one person has mentioned a thing about my bad Quant score. 

Knock the TBAS out of the park, put together a solid packet, and interview well, no one is likely gonna care about the scores. 

Edited by FDNYOldGuy

20 hours ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

You're fine and, if you interview well, you likely won't get more than a passing rib of math not being your strong suit. My quant was about half of yours (the rest of my scores were comparable to yours) and, besides for a ball-breaking in the interview with me admitting I'm a bit math...challenged..., not one person has mentioned a thing about my bad Quant score. 

Knock the TBAS out of the park, put together a solid packet, and interview well, no one is likely gonna care about the scores. 

Agreed. Once I got to the interviews, they never really asked why any scores were lower than the rest. Like everyone says over and over. Its a whole person concept. One score on the AFOQT isn't going to be the make or break if everything else is solid. 

• 2 months later...

Alight, more updates.

Finally got a TBAS test thru all the pandemic madness.  Scored an 88 with 125 hrs... Coming up short of my 90 goal, but manageable?  I guess I have 6 months to debate that.

More importantly, I had some conversations with a pilot friend in my #1 choice of unit/airframe.  He forwarded me to their squadron hiring officer... who had less than stellar news on the age waiver front.  But, they then swore in a new SC with different attitudes on the subject, so, the quest continues.