USAF Approved Contact Lenses

LaxCapt15

Hello all,

I have looked through some threads and have not seen anything pop up in regards to approved contact lenses. The eye doc at WPAFB said I would need to wear either the issued glasses or the air force approved contacts for flight status. He said I would be able to google search it and a list would pop up. However, I have done that and have had no such luck. Does anyone have any info on the list or a contact brand/type they recommend? Thank you in advance for the info.  

Unless things have changed, You’ll have to start out with glasses at flight training.

For contacts, Work with base optometry to get on the contact lens program they will evaluate you and set you up with lenses. This is the only way you are technically allowed to fly with contacts. It is what I do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BB,

You may be right, I don't work at a UPT base, but I'm of the understanding that if you show up at UPT wearing an approved contact lens and meet all of the vision standards you can use them while flying.  They won't fit you with contacts at UPT; only after you complete training.  I'll reach out to my colleagues at a UPT base and get the the full story.

BB,
You may be right, I don't work at a UPT base, but I'm of the understanding that if you show up at UPT wearing an approved contact lens and meet all of the vision standards you can use them while flying.  They won't fit you with contacts at UPT; only after you complete training.  I'll reach out to my colleagues at a UPT base and get the the full story.

Can’t fly with contact lenses at all at any base unless in the USAF contact lens program. Maybe base optometry will enroll him in the program with his existing contacts?
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

BB,

When I was at UPT over the last year, I was allowed to use the same contacts I wore as a civilian since I met all the vision standards and had been wearing them for greater than six months. They were actually pretty willing to put me in the contact lens program. (Currently wearing Acuvue Oasys for OP’s sake.)

Can’t fly with contact lenses at all at any base unless in the USAF contact lens program. Maybe base optometry will enroll him in the program with his existing contacts?

That's why he's asking. They will enroll a stud in the program only if they are already wearing an approved lens, they won't do a fitting for new lenses. So if you want to wear contacts during UPT, you've got to get the lenses before on your own dime.

5 hours ago, jazzdude said:

The contact lens program is run by flight med, who's the gatekeeper. Optometry does the legwork though.

You may be right... But no one in flight med talked to me about the contact lenses, just optometry.  Don't know where the paperwork routes after I leave the clinic, though.

As for getting them on your own dime, you have to do that on the program as well.  The Air Force just authorize you to wear contacts, but they don't pay for lenses.

9 hours ago, pawnman said:

You may be right... But no one in flight med talked to me about the contact lenses, just optometry.  Don't know where the paperwork routes after I leave the clinic, though.

As for getting them on your own dime, you have to do that on the program as well.  The Air Force just authorize you to wear contacts, but they don't pay for lenses.

Some units will buy contacts for their flyers if they choose to, but it's obviously not required.  As an active flyer once you've completed UPT, the AF docs should update your contact lens Rx so you can fill it without having to pay for the exam.

Current approved lenses are attached.  There is actually a newer list, but it hasn't been released.  I doubt there will be many deletions, just adding some additional lenses.

APPROVED_SCL_2018.pdf

If you miss your annual contact lens program appointment, optometry yes flight med who removes you from the program. If you never miss an appointment, it's all transparent to you. But when the original paperwork goes missing after you PCSA... You get to relearn the process...

I guess I've been fortunate to have all of my squadron find contacts for me.

For those units who do buy contacts, what money is used to purchase? Is this something that folks should be putting on the spend list at the end of the fiscal year in units that don’t buy contacts?

Also, I’ve been in units whose AFE shop stocks approved contact lens solution, which saved each near-sighted flyer a hundred bucks or so over the course of the year. Whoever thought of that was really looking out for the bros.