F1 Thread

N730

2 hours ago, brickhistory said:

A.  Well done Mercedes and Hamilton.

B. Boring!

I think the real well done was RB mx team getting the damaged car ready for the grid. Mercedes is boring, but there was some uncertainty in the midfield, especially with the rain. 

On 7/13/2020 at 1:29 PM, joe1234 said:

That's because instead of pretending nothing was wrong and doubling down on a past wrong by claiming it as part of their "heritage", the company eventually paid millions in reparations. And were eventually forgiven for their past sins. And now their culture has evolved so much that in 2020 they readily embrace Lewis' activism.

Activism that will be shoved in everyone's face every single time he steps on the podium. I love it.

Lewis doesn't really know what his "kneeing" and "Black Power" symbols mean to those in the US outside of the cause.

One wonders if this wokeness at the circuit will just fade away?

On 7/26/2020 at 3:28 AM, mcbush said:

How/where do you guys watch F1? I'm not usually a huge car guy, but I'm interested in checking it out. Where do I start?

F1TV is pretty cheap for a month, maybe $10? It shows the entire weekend: both practices (FP1 & FP2) on Fridays;  FP3 and qualifying on Saturdays; Race on Sundays. It also has multiple viewing options... You can watch the official race coverage, individual driver in-car cameras, the lap & sector timing (really good for qualifying), the map view, and the pit-lane channel which is a combo of all the above. Best bang for your buck would be to start this week since there will be 3 races in 3 weeks starting this weekend! Good luck; I got addicted last year and now watch pretty much everything with multiple screens. Pretty cool for qualifying and the races. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

Lewis doesn't really know what his "kneeing" and "Black Power" symbols mean to those in the US outside of the cause.

One wonders if this wokeness at the circuit will just fade away?

The only color F1 (and all professional sports ((it's in the name)) cares about is green.*

And rightfully so.

*assuming the team accepts dollars.  If not, then it's whatever color the preferred currency is...

• Upvote 2

Racing Pont's driver Perez has the 'rona so he's out for the race this weekend.

And Racing Point doesn't have a dedicated reserve driver.

RUMINT is that Hulkenberg will get the drive since he's the most recent driver that's available.

But for him, or anyone who gets this drive, man, from 0 to 200 in a day in a strange car.  

12 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Racing Pont's driver Perez has the 'rona so he's out for the race this weekend.

And Racing Point doesn't have a dedicated reserve driver.

RUMINT is that Hulkenberg will get the drive since he's the most recent driver that's available.

But for him, or anyone who gets this drive, man, from 0 to 200 in a day in a strange car.  

It will be interesting, but at least Hulkenberg has experience with F1:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/racing-point-waiting-hulkenberg-covid-test-result/4846714/?ic_source=home-page-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-22

On 7/27/2020 at 2:01 PM, GrndPndr said:

Given what he's faced growing up and in his career, I think he probably knows better than you do.

But I know one thing, he definitely knows how to win on 3 tyres! Absolutely brilliant driving to limp that car in for the win. A few more wins and this season will basically just be a coronation.

Another boring race until the final lap.

As to Hamilton's "brilliance" on the last lap, I don't see it.  He won the race, as usual, in qualifying and in building up a massive lead.  

The tire armegeddon experienced by so many on that last lap could've just as easily taken him out.   Time and distance in front of Verstappen were his friends.  As was the Red Bull decision to go for fastest lap with a pit stop for fresh tires.  

Woulda/coulda/shoulda...once again Mercedes and Hamilton turned in a commanding performance.  Well (yawn) done.

• Like 1

Idk why people come on the thread to whine about it being boring. This sport is what it is. If that doesn't float your boat, then idk maybe NASCAR is more where you belong.

Anyway, nice to see Max's effort finally pay off. Merc needs to figure out their tyre issue. And Racing Point is a total joke.

4 hours ago, joe1234 said:

Idk why people come on the thread to whine about it being boring. This sport is what it is. If that doesn't float your boat, then idk maybe NASCAR is more where you belong.

NASCAR is dumb, but the “boring” that brick talks about is a legit critique because F1 has the potential for much more strategy implications if they a) forced the teams to use softer tires so that two stop was a more probable thing (like this weekend where you get an unlikely bold strategy to work), or b) had different rules with respect to the aerodynamics so the wake wasn’t so huge that it’s a nearly static sport because no one can get close enough to pass (or afford to research the car to compete). 

Even F1 has figured out they need changes because they’re too static during races and have one team who has won everything for like 8 years; that’s the whole force behind the rule changes.  It’s sometimes brilliant right now, but it has the potential to be much better. 

Or you could get on the thread just to nay-say whatever brick says, which is as boring as NASCAR. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

I cannot explain the why, but motorcycle racing has no draw for me despite the time I will take to watch F1. 

I have to agree.  I can appreciate the skill/guts it takes to ride, let alone race at insane speeds on two wheels, it just doesn't do it for me.

I like F1 due to the technology being demo'd at insane speeds.  But with four wheels, I can at least imagine I can relate.

But the absolute dominance by one constructor massively out-spending everyone else is a dual-edged sword.  Mercedes wins bigly because they are spending and performing so far in front of everyone else, so good on 'em.  Fans of everyone else get bored and choose to spend their money elsewhere which isn't good for the sport overall.  Hence, the new owners of F1 are going to change things up next year.

But for a "race," then Surely Serious' critiques above apply.

1 hour ago, GrndPndr said:

We're you watching with F1 tv?

Is this legal questioning?  You haven't read me my Article 31 rights, so I'm going to invoke the 5th Amendment. 

Also, I found a stream online.  Next week I think you can watch them free on Youtube if you're from certain countries.  Thankfully I have a VPN that makes it look like I'm from those countries.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Is this legal questioning?  You haven't read me my Article 31 rights, so I'm going to invoke the 5th Amendment. 

Also, I found a stream online.  Next week I think you can watch them free on Youtube if you're from certain countries.  Thankfully I have a VPN that makes it look like I'm from those countries.

No harm intended (nor should you be apprehended (or apprehensive)).  I really was just curious, as I watch it live with that service.  It's hi res, and during the race at least, utilize the Sky commentary.  The pre and post shows are pretty lame though.  I wish I could get Sky, but I can only watch that a day later with a torrent.

• Upvote 1

Their drama was on full display today. Ferrari is pretty much the definition of a mismanaged organization at the moment. But it'll be interesting to see what it looks like with Leclerc firmly at the top next year.

I think maybe Max sent a wakeup call to Lewis last week and brought out the beast in him.