F1 Thread

N730

On 2/12/2020 at 4:52 PM, brickhistory said:

Ok, this Wuhan Flu/SARS II The Revenge/Walking Dead escaped virus sh!t is getting serious.

The Chinese have delayed/cancelled their F1 race in April.

How else am I going to see how the pretty people blow (no sts) hundreds of millions of dollars/yuan in a communist country?

Well the Australian GP got canceled too.  How long till this whole season gets blown up?  

Yeah Williams is in trouble.  Haas I'm not sure has the financial cushion to survive a lost season either.  
Haas would almost definitely be gone. They've suggested that their continued participation will be determined by their performance this hear.

And who knows about Racing Point and Alpha Romeo too. If they cancel, they'll have to do something financially to help the teams.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, brickhistory said:

Reminds me of an old joke.....

An 86-year-old man went to his doctor for his quarterly check-up...

The doctor asked the man how he was feeling, and the 86-year-old said, "things are great, and I've never felt better! I now have a 20-year-old bride who is pregnant with my child. What do you think about that, doc?"

The doctor considered the question for a minute, and then began to tell a story.

"I have an older friend, much like you, who is an avid hunter and never misses a season. One day he was setting off to go hunting. In a bit of a hurry, he accidentally picked up his walking cane instead of his gun."

"As he neared a lake, he came across a very large male beaver sitting at the water's edge. He realized he left his gun at home, and so, he couldn't shoot the magnificent creature. Out of habit he raised his cane, aimed it at the animal as if it was his favorite hunting rifle, and yelled 'bang bang'. Miraculously, two shots rang out and the beaver fell dead."

"Now, what do you think of that?" asked the doctor.

The 86-year-old replied, "logic would strongly suggest that somebody else pumped a few rounds into that beaver."

The doctor replied, "my point exactly."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished binge watching Netflix' "Drive to Survive," a, so far, two season behind the scenes look at current F1.  Season 1 dealt with the 2018 racing season.  Season 2, the 2019 one.  Ill-timed mentions of the 2020 racing season expectations.

But a very good waste of time; largely on the personalities and money pressures vs. technical engineering or detailed racing strategy stuff.  But good nonetheless.

• 2 months later...

An interesting race for once, apart from Bottas leading start to finish.  Lots of DNFs, some overtaking, some f' ups that mixed things up.

Do not like the new Mercedes livery.  Doesn't look like a silver arrow at all.  I s'pose I'm racist for not liking a black car.  And the wokeness is tiresome as well, but now firmly a part of sports.

Absolutely. I’ll be curious to see how another week at the Austrian track takes its’ toll on the cars. What was it, lap 55ish when Mercedes was told to stop hitting the kerbs because of the damage it was doing to the gearboxes? I have no idea what type of modifications the teams will be able to make in such a short timeframe but it will be entertaining none the less. 

10 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

I thought they were called the "black arrows."  Happy for Norris, gutted for Albon.

Nope, they've been the "Silver Arrows" since rejoining F1 in 2010-ish.  Which is an homage to their original Silver Arrows of the 1930s.

The cars were the familiar silver/black/turquoise in pre-season testing.

They proudly announced they went full "woke" with the new paint job.

Because virtue signaling...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Nope, they've been the "Silver Arrows" since rejoining F1 in 2010-ish.  Which is an homage to their original Silver Arrows of the 1930s.

The cars were the familiar silver/black/turquoise in pre-season testing.

They proudly announced they went full "woke" with the new paint job.

Because virtue signaling...

I smelled some sarcasm in 17D's post.  I also think that F1 in general is so fully woke, that it appears they've also taken some amphetamines.

Lastly, they are still hypocrites.  If they're really worried about racism, they would cancel races in China, some middle-east, and eastern Europe.  It's all pretty hilarious watching them try to jump on the proverbial band-wagon.  It's a little like thinking Valtteri Bottas is synonymous with hip-hop.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, GrndPndr said:

I smelled some sarcasm in 17D's post.  I also think that F1 in general is so fully woke, that it appears they've also taken some amphetamines.

Lastly, they are still hypocrites.  If they're really worried about racism, they would cancel races in China, some middle-east, and eastern Europe.  It's all pretty hilarious watching them try to jump on the proverbial band-wagon.  It's a little like thinking Valtteri Bottas is synonymous with hip-hop.

Ah, unable to duplicate the fault.  Fortunately, it's a LRU and the backshop can take a look at it.

Whaaaat?!  You mean it's about money?!

I'm shocked, I tell you.  Shocked.

• Upvote 1

Lewis with another W. In my opinion he's already the GOAT. Hopefully first of many W's on his way to #7.

Love the paint job, but I love the salty complaints about it even more. If I could, I'd bottle up those tears and take them with a cup of tea every morning.

The race was back to being boring.

Hamilton really won the thing by his fantastic performance during qualifying in the torrential rain.

Surprised cancel culture and/or Lewis aren't holding Mercedes to the same standard as, say, Thomas Jefferson or George Washington.

I mean, this isn't really a good look, is it?  I notice it's also painted black.

hitlers-mercedes-wird-versteigert_fb75e7cb42d5e08e79810c4cb4b806641c49c133.jpg

3 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Surprised cancel culture and/or Lewis aren't holding Mercedes to the same standard as, say, Thomas Jefferson or George Washington.

That's because instead of pretending nothing was wrong and doubling down on a past wrong by claiming it as part of their "heritage", the company eventually paid millions in reparations. And were eventually forgiven for their past sins. And now their culture has evolved so much that in 2020 they readily embrace Lewis' activism.

Activism that will be shoved in everyone's face every single time he steps on the podium. I love it.

On 7/6/2020 at 12:00 PM, GrndPndr said:

I smelled some sarcasm in 17D's post.

Nope, I'm just new to the sport and thought I heard that in one of the F1 videos.

Fun race this weekend.  Lando doing good shit, Ferrari killing themselves, and Racing Point having some very interesting success that Red Bull's now protesting.

How are you guys watching them?  I don't have cable, just the internets.

Knock yourself out on enjoying the non-racing stuff.

Me?  I just wanna watch super-exotic cars go stupid fast.  I don't care about protest paint jobs because....it's a paint job.  And I think the "silver arrow" paint job is a more aethestically pleasing look.

As the superfluous stuff becomes more egregious, the fast forward button becomes a friend.  Advance to "lights out" then hit stop after the checkered flag.  Win/win for all.

As to how to watch the races, I use youtube tv on the interwebs.

• Like 1

So Mercedes is the Harlem Globetrotters and the rest of the field are the Washington Generals...

Stunning to see the pink Racing Point/bought a used Mercedes team beating Ferrari/Red Bull, etc.  But good to see some changes in the traditional pecking order.

• Like 1