F1 Thread

N730

Exhibit 2: Sebastian Vettel pre & post Red Bull.
As much as I can't stand Hamilton he is a phenomenal driver. Even with the equipment advantage it's hard to argue with some of his come-from-behind results going from 15+ on the grid to winning.
Vettel has been in a tough situation at Ferrari thanks to the internal company politics.

He's had to basically run the team at points. He has to be constantly second guessing his strategy team, and at this point is having to make some of his own strategy calls to stop feom getting screwed by the worst strategy shop in F1.

At Red Bull, he could just drive and help develop the car.

I think we will look back and find it hard to believe we had a time with Hamilton, Vettel, and Alonso all on the same grid.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

15 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

See you in austin

Are you really going?

Have you been to one before?  I have not.

Is it worth the time/expense?  Not being able to see the entire course and race leads me to be a couch spectator.  Is it good in person?

20 minutes ago, brickhistory said:

Are you really going?

Is it worth the time/expense?  Not being able to see the entire course and race leads me to be a couch spectator.  Is it good in person?

Yes 100% worth going.

Circuit of the Americas has lots of good viewpoints and honestly hearing the sound and seeing the acceleration in person is worth the price of admission. Its like watching an air show on youtube vs seeing it in person where you can feel the compression of the jet engines in your chest.

I never cared for the racing part of it but man i like loud n fast shit.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Are you really going?

yes i am.

first time at any F1 or even NASCAR event im pretty pumped!

• Upvote 2

Are you really going?
I went a few years ago and it was a great experience. A lot of great views for a General Admission Ticket. If you go, spend Saturday exploring the track and figuring out where you want to sit.

I was able to sit right a turn one for the start of the race and then moved to the S-es for another portion of the race.

Also, Austin in late October is pretty nice.

9 hours ago, N730 said:

I went a few years ago and it was a great experience. A lot of great views for a General Admission Ticket. If you go, spend Saturday exploring the track and figuring out where you want to sit.

I was able to sit right a turn one for the start of the race and then moved to the S-es for another portion of the race.

Also, Austin in late October is pretty nice.

Thanks.

I live between Austin and San Antonio but am traveling during this race.

Thinking about making a weekend of it next year.

Back in the V-10 era I went to the race at Indy twice. Yes your view isn't as good as watching on TV (although they did have some screens) but being there in person was a lot of fun. You can say the same thing of any sport really, the view of an NFL game on TV is much better than what you can actually see from in the stadium. And the Indy track was a shit track in a bad location with crappy weather. I really want to go to Austin as I'm sure the entire experience is much better.

@MilitaryToFinance I can't speak from personal experience, but know multiple people that went to Indy and have been to Austin and they all said it was a night and day difference. They've done a really good job at making the entire COTA experience enjoyable.

Also, it is worth buying the parking pass, just look at the map and see which area is best. Traffic is still shitty, but even one of the mid tier parking passes made getting from your car to the circuit much more convient. And if you have a group, people were tailgating.

@brickhistory I'd recommend it, especially if you're close and you could get some people to make the trip with you.

• Like 1

When is traffic in and around Austin not shit?!?
Hahaha fair enough. Traffic IN Austin wasn't particularly bad. I was referring to the area around COTA. It's a step up from the typical traffic surrounding a large event.

But hopefully it's gotten better since I went in 2016, my bet is that it has gotten worse.

Watching the practices thus far, the "bumps" as they're being called are rocking the cars pretty good.  Near speed-bumps would be another term that would be acceptable.

Gonna make the actual race interesting as it might tend to throw the cars around and in a crowd.

Looking forward to it.

7 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Watching the practices thus far, the "bumps" as they're being called are rocking the cars pretty good.  Near speed-bumps would be another term that would be acceptable.

Gonna make the actual race interesting as it might tend to throw the cars around and in a crowd.

Looking forward to it.

Let us know what you think.

I've only been to one and it was way more fun than I thought it was going to be.  Wasn't expecting the constant burnt rubber smell and the 100 db+ noise levels, the 4k TV doesn't do it justice.  That excitement you get stepping to the jet when you can smell the JP-8.  It's like that for driving.

Also, the speed.  If there are warm-up races, you'll think those cars are fast - but then the formula cars drive by and it's like an entirely different event.  You can't take pictures very well because they are hard to keep in frame.  It's awesome.

The downside is that you get a snapshot of the race being stuck in one place.  While on TV you get to follow everything much easier.

Classy move by Sebastian, congratulating Lewis after the race.

Is it just me wondering what idiot invited another idiot, Matthew McConaughey to the race, only flash gang-like six's repeatedly at the camera.  Is he the best we can do?

Edited by GrndPndr
Added - idiot actor photobombing the festivities at USGP

20 hours ago, torqued said:

Penske buying the Indy Motor Speedway and IndyCar is huge news. Tony George effectively destroyed open wheel racing in the US and now, perhaps there's great chance it can make a comeback.

I'm skeptical. NASCAR is already the biggest racing circuit in America, and anyone who's seeking something a little more skillful and technologically advanced is probably already into Formula 1. Simply put, there's just not an audience that exists to grow IndyCar beyond where it is right now.

34 minutes ago, joe1234 said:

I'm skeptical. NASCAR is already the biggest racing circuit in America, and anyone who's seeking something a little more skillful and technologically advanced is probably already into Formula 1. Simply put, there's just not an audience that exists to grow IndyCar beyond where it is right now.

IndyCar make too many left turns. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

the track surface at COTA looked atrocious on TV.  Hopefully they started the resurfacing effort about an hour after the F1 race ended...

Hamilton's my boy, I think Ferrari are idiots with how the run their drivers and suck at strategy, I hope Albon does well at Red Bull, I feel sorry for Ricciardo and hope Renault make a good show next year, and WTF happened to Williams in the last few years?  Oh, and I don't think Nico Rosberg is a great driver - he only won because of the superior Merc equipment and some unluckiness on Lewis' part.

I also think Haas made a mistake in keeping Grosjean in a seat.  He needs to go.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 10:52 PM, stract said:

I also think Haas made a mistake in keeping Grosjean in a seat.  He needs to go.

I agree with everything you said, but this the most.  How are you going to continually keep this dude?

I wonder if Vettel is going to look for a new team at this point.  It's apparent who's the #1 on there...even if the team isn't owning up to it.

Brazil race was reasonably entertaining.  Wonder how Sainz felt being awarded 3d well after the fact?  "Yea, congrats, but the champagne and the podium have been packed away."

Cannot believe the damage caused by the seemingly light touch between the Ferraris.  

How do explain that one to the boss...?

RUMINT is that Haas might bail after next year since their team points are so low.

As to Grojean, I kinda like the unpredictability factor.  Some days he's very, very good.  Others, he's a kamikaze.  Which makes it sporty for the rest of the field.

1 hour ago, brickhistory said:

Brazil race was reasonably entertaining.  Wonder how Sainz felt being awarded 3d well after the fact?  "Yea, congrats, but the champagne and the podium have been packed away."

Cannot believe the damage caused by the seemingly light touch between the Ferraris.  

How do explain that one to the boss...?

RUMINT is that Haas might bail after next year since their team points are so low.

As to Grojean, I kinda like the unpredictability factor.  Some days he's very, very good.  Others, he's a kamikaze.  Which makes it sporty for the rest of the field.

I’m over Grosjean because he’s a has been. Ocon was up for grabs this year, Hulkenburg is up for a seat...and you’re sticking with someone who is at the ceiling of their potential. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Ok, this Wuhan Flu/SARS II The Revenge/Walking Dead escaped virus sh!t is getting serious.

The Chinese have delayed/cancelled their F1 race in April.

How else am I going to see how the pretty people blow (no sts) hundreds of millions of dollars/yuan in a communist country?