Air Guard to AF-ROTC, 422/IMR instead of DodMerb?

This is a cross post from rotc.

I'm in in college and thinking of joining the California Air National Guard to help pay for college since I'm too old to get an AF-ROTC scholarships (I'm 32).

My plan is to do AF-ROTC and Air Guard at the same time.

I was told some AF-ROTC dtachments take the Air Guard's 422/IMR in place of DoDMerb medical exam and I want to get the opinion of those who's detachments allowed them to do this.

Was it difficult to get your detachment to take 422/IMR?

I spoke to the 3 detachments near me here in Los Angeles and they all told me they didnt know if they would take the 422/IMR so that made it seem like it was a tough sell.

Another side of this is that I have read countless stories of awesome cadets being DQ'd over absolutely nothing and I figure 422/IMR would help me avoid being DQ'd so it's a win win imo since I also wouldnt have to go through the wait of going to and through waiting for approval from DoDMerb.

Edited by Pizza_Toast

Just out of curiosity but why pursue both at the same time? If you are hoping to get the medical waiver and then go for the AFROTC scholarship, then wouldn't the age requirement (without a waiver) still prohibit you? From my limited knowledge and internet searching, the cut-off is commissioned by the end of the year of your 31st birthday, should you go the "enlisted route". [https://www.afrotc.com/what-it-takes/enlisted/]. 

As for California AirNG, they have the California National Guard Education Assistance Award Program (CNG EAAP), which states you must have been an active member for at least two (2) years, [https://nationalguard.csac.ca.gov/]; a program similar to Tuition Assistance in the AF Reserves [https://www.afreserve.com/benefits]. Might be beneficial to look into both options quite frankly, however, expect to take some time off in your studies when you enlist (Basic, Tech School, two (2) year minimum active service, etc.). 

Lastly, depending on your major, you may be eligible for a scholarship regardless of age - for instance Pre-med, Nursing, etc. - through the HPSP program. 

Hope this information helps.

Edited by iRobot

Hey iRobot,

Thanks for replying. I'm not joining AF-ROTC for the scholarship, I'm joining to become an officer. But because I cant get a scholarship through AF-ROTC I  drcided to join ARNG to get help with paying for college.

I was also told that I can use ARNG TA as soon as I swear in and that I do not have to wait to reach 5 level in my AFSC to go to college.

I want to avoid DoDmerb so 422/IMR would help me do that.

1 hour ago, Pizza_Toast said:

Hey iRobot,

Thanks for replying. I'm not joining AF-ROTC for the scholarship, I'm joining to become an officer. But because I cant get a scholarship through AF-ROTC I  drcided to join ARNG to get help with paying for college.

I was also told that I can use ARNG TA as soon as I swear in and that I do not have to wait to reach 5 level in my AFSC to go to college.

I want to avoid DoDmerb so 422/IMR would help me do that.

Understood you want to be an Officer, however, your initial post gave the impression you were concerned with having college paid for, not necessarily a medically focused question. 

As for "being told" vs. what is stated on the CA National Guard webpage, I'd opt to go with what's in writing. By the way, nothing I've researched states you need to be a 5-level AFSC to go to college; the webpage specifically states: "Be an active member who has served two (2) years in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia;"

Lastly, 

55 minutes ago, Pizza_Toast said:

Yes but meps doesnt reject you because you were misdiagnosed with something you never had.

It seems you've done your homework, so roll the dice on MEPS then. As for 422/IMR, I believe it is for current military members who are scheduled for a medical readiness review. [https://www.sheppard.af.mil/News/Features/Display/Article/639304/individual-medical-readiness/]

So unless you are already in the armed forces via ROTC Graduate or Enlisted AirNG, then I don't know how you'd bypass the DoDMERB. Maybe someone else can chime in...

Now, if you have a question regarding medical disqualification and how to receive a waiver, it may be best answered in the appropriate forum(s).

Edited by iRobot

1 hour ago, Pizza_Toast said:

Yes but meps doesnt reject you because you were misdiagnosed with something you never had.

I somehow find this assumption wrong on all levels having been thru meps 3 times. Especially since I have been DQ’ed twice at MEPS for things I’ve never had.

While I have no experience with DoDmerb from what I hear from ROTC friends I would recommend 100000 times over going that route.

Not even close to be honest. MEPS will DQ anyone so fast, they dont wanna deal with extra shit ever. I almost think they DQ people on purpose to see if they have the drive to fight it lol

Edit: i was DQ’ed while going enlisted and DQ’ed during commissioning exam. It is not fun.

Edited by jonlbs
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

I believe it is required for all personnel... check out these forms [https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_sg/publication/afi10-250/afi10-250.pdf] and here [https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_sg/publication/afi44-170/afi44-170.pdf]

Once again, this question may be best answered in the Aviation Medicine forums.

DQ’ed for for depth perception while going enlisted. Rushed thru the test, didnt explain anything, went and took test again passed no problem. 

Second time, read thru my notes on eye surgery and DQ’ed because post-op haze was mentioned. Even though it had fully cleared and gone away. 

They honestly don’t care at all if you pass/fail just wanna get you out of their stack of papers. If DQ is easier than taking the time to help you figure it out that is without a doubt what they will do.

Each DQ came with about 3-6 months of fun paperwork and fighting.

5 hours ago, jonlbs said:

DQ’ed for for depth perception while going enlisted. Rushed thru the test, didnt explain anything, went and took test again passed no problem. 

Second time, read thru my notes on eye surgery and DQ’ed because post-op haze was mentioned. Even though it had fully cleared and gone away. 

They honestly don’t care at all if you pass/fail just wanna get you out of their stack of papers. If DQ is easier than taking the time to help you figure it out that is without a doubt what they will do.

Each DQ came with about 3-6 months of fun paperwork and fighting.

I believe it's the machines that are a bit finicky.

I heard if you want to get a good one to retest at medical on base and dont use the ones on the ends, only use the ones in the middle.