Chances at AD OTS or ANG

Riddles

Hello all! I have been lurking these forums for awhile but now that I am done with all the major requirements I am wondering what my chances are. As a background, I am currently AD Enlisted and just submitted my application for a Rated/Non-rated slot with Rated being my preference for the 20OT01 OTS board. I am also thinking of applying to the ANG to keep all of my options open. From what I am aware, there is nothing to stop me from applying to both. If I were able to get a pilot slot, my preference would be ANG. What would be my chances for both of these options?

AFOQT: Pilot - 87 / Nav - 80 / AA - 72 / Verbal -78 / Quanitative - 61

PCMS: 71 with 22 hours. 91 would be my max score at 200 hours.

GPA: 3.92 with Criminal Justice Major

Other factors: I currently have a DD FM 2808 with an approved AETC stamp saying I am medically cleared for FC1 pending completion of MFS-N. It is dated for February 2019 and I have been told it is good for 4 years. I am not sure if this plays a factor or not as I know medical can be only of the largest disqualifiers.

I look forward to seeing everyones responses!

Pretty good scores, but I wouldn't say stellar (namely AFOQT); heavies are definitely within reach, but fighters might be pushing it. Depending on your choice of airframe, I wouldn't worry too much about retaking anything unless you want pointy, fast ones. PCSM, GPA and your FC1 (definitely helps to have) are all great, my PCSM was 95 max but I, at the very least, brought it up to an 80 with completion of my PPL (something I'd recommend you knock out). Your AFOQT scores are decent, but 90's are going to make you stand out for sure (at least on paper). Like most folks have said, rush units, cast a wide net and build a solid packet (Cover Letter, Resume - highlighting how awesome you are, and solid Letters of Rec.). Otherwise, I think you'll be fine. Good luck!

• Like 1

Looks like you have a pilot slot in AD with your name written all over it. It's up to you after that point whether you get heavies or fighters. For the ANG? It depends on what you want to fly. Heavies are definitely in reach. Fighters seem like a super long shot unless you rush specific units multiple times and mesh well with the group. Also, read through the FC1 physical thread, apparently a FC1 pending MFS completion is useless.

45 minutes ago, iRobot said:

Pretty good scores, but I wouldn't say stellar (namely AFOQT); heavies are definitely within reach, but fighters might be pushing it. Depending on your choice of airframe, I wouldn't worry too much about retaking anything unless you want pointy, fast ones. PCSM, GPA and your FC1 (definitely helps to have) are all great, my PCSM was 95 max but I, at the very least, brought it up to an 80 with completion of my PPL (something I'd recommend you knock out). Your AFOQT scores are decent, but 90's are going to make you stand out for sure (at least on paper). Like most folks have said, rush units, cast a wide net and build a solid packet (Cover Letter, Resume - highlighting how awesome you are, and solid Letters of Rec.). Otherwise, I think you'll be fine. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice! I am looking at applying to the Boise, Idaho A-10 unit that is currently on Bogidope. Would love to see the KC-135 for the Utah ANG pop up again. I am less concerned about airframe as I love to be in the plane, but I would like to be somewhat closer to home if I did decide to go the guard route. I definitely am trying to get my PPL still. 

17 minutes ago, Seadogs said:

Looks like you have a pilot slot in AD with your name written all over it. It's up to you after that point whether you get heavies or fighters. For the ANG? It depends on what you want to fly. Heavies are definitely in reach. Fighters seem like a super long shot unless you rush specific units multiple times and mesh well with the group. Also, read through the FC1 physical thread, apparently a FC1 pending MFS completion is useless.

A-10 for Idaho ANG or KC-135 for Utah ANG are my top preferences right now. I would love to get an AD slot, but I also want to consider all options and what would be best for future support for my family. Bogidope posts a lot of great information and I think both would be great options, but I think that not moving around would be better for the family.