Digital ORM

Standby

I have KIO and RTB at least four times in my career due to environmental conditions, during training.  So our ORM went high, and we decided it wasn't worth the squeeze.  One time it was about 3 minutes after takeoff, with the SQ/DO sitting in the other seat.  In combat, I've definitely upchanneled things due to High ORM to get approval to launch, or in one case, approval to continue after launching.

I’ve always thought of ORM as protection against leadership, not against myself. It’s a tool to signal to them that they’re putting me in a garbage situation, and even if they wanted me to I’m not going to ask for their signature. It is also useful for young pilots. Sometimes I see them lean farther forward than they should, and the thought of having to explain their plan to the squadron commander makes them second guess the necessity of flying towards thunder storms on their third sortie of the day after flying 20 days straight when it’s 106 degrees outside. 

Back on topic, the ops group at Dover AFB had an e-ORM on sharepoint for locals. I don’t know anyone there anymore, but it’s a lead!

• Like 1