Jump to content
Baseops Forums
ecc97

Airline to Fighters

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone

I'm a current regional airline pilot trying to get a pilot slot with a guard fighter unit.

  • Age: 22
  • Finishing BS in Aeronautics from ERAU (should be finished end of Q2/beginning of Q3 2020)
  • GPA:  2.94 from one year of community college, 4.0 from ERAU, I'm not sure if these will be combined into one, info appreciated
  • AFOQT: Scheduled for mid next month, I will update this section when my results come through.
  • restricted ATP with 2000 hours, 500 airline hours, current CFI/CFII
  • LOR's from retired USAF Lt. Col./F16 driver, AA 737 captain/mentor, haven't decided on third person
  • One year experience as CFI/CFII, year and a half with the airlines

As far as 'extra curriculars' go:

  • ALPA P2P for my airline
  • 6 years in CAP, started as a cadet, current senior member captain, national flight academy instructor, worked FEMA missions for Hurricane Harvey, RPA escort pilot

Just looking for your opinions and thoughts on my chances going forward, and any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

 

Edited by ecc97
added guard information, changed GPA question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bobby said:

Go Guard

Oops, I thought that was in there, fixed.  Thats what I'm trying to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LNGH said:

GPA doesn't go into PCSM. Only hours, TBAS, and AFOQT pilot score

Thanks, didn't remember off hand if it did, or was just looked at as a separate part of the whole person concept.  do you know if my 2 GPA number will be combined, or if the later one will be used?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ecc97 said:

Thanks, didn't remember off hand if it did, or was just looked at as a separate part of the whole person concept.  do you know if my 2 GPA number will be combined, or if the later one will be used?

That depends on your school, most show a "total" GPA, which is what people actually care about.

As for the rest, it is really hard to give you odds without AFOQT scores or PCSM. But if those are in the 90s, you should have a good shot with fighters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, N730 said:

But if those are in the 90s, you should have a good shot with fighters.

Keep in mind that for fighters, it's not just 90's for pilot score but high across the board

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 2.6 GPA Civil Engineering. In all the interviews I have done (both military and civilian), no one has asked me about why it was too low. I think for the most part, when applying to ANG slots, they just want to have a degree. As far as which one is used, they will input the highest one. Also, I never rushed fighters so their exceptions of a high GPA might be different.

Edited by CharlieHotel47
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typically GPA will be accounted for both schools and rolled up into a cumulative GPA (double check your transcript) - I went to ERAU and they had a "Campus GPA" and a "Cumulative GPA" for both my Community College and ERAU. As for your resume, it looks good that you have as much experience as you do, but it's not always a show stopper, depending on the unit, they may think it could be difficult to "unlearn" habits when going through UPT.

Count on crushing the AFOQT and the TBAS -- like others have stated 90's on up, that's where you'll have a great opportunity to get your foot in the door. As for your Letters of Recommendation, the Viper driver letter is great, especially if your looking to go fighters. Lastly, rush units, have good manners and engage (don't over do it). Don't sweat not getting it your first or second or third go around.. it takes time and has taken people years to get picked up (after dozens of interviews too); the good thing, time is on your side so enjoy the experience. 

Good luck! 🤙

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, iRobot said:

Typically GPA will be accounted for both schools and rolled up into a cumulative GPA (double check your transcript) - I went to ERAU and they had a "Campus GPA" and a "Cumulative GPA" for both my Community College and ERAU. As for your resume, it looks good that you have as much experience as you do, but it's not always a show stopper, depending on the unit, they may think it could be difficult to "unlearn" habits when going through UPT.

Count on crushing the AFOQT and the TBAS -- like others have stated 90's on up, that's where you'll have a great opportunity to get your foot in the door. As for your Letters of Recommendation, the Viper driver letter is great, especially if your looking to go fighters. Lastly, rush units, have good manners and engage (don't over do it). Don't sweat not getting it your first or second or third go around.. it takes time and has taken people years to get picked up (after dozens of interviews too); the good thing, time is on your side so enjoy the experience. 

Good luck! 🤙

Thanks for all the info, especially with rushing, I'm basically doing that with the nearest fighter unit.  About the letter of recommendation, I have a few options for the 3rd one: retired SAS Col, retired AF Lt. Col/F111 driver, another airline pilot (SAS Col. knows me the best).  Which would you recommend?  

Edited by ecc97
added information/wording

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't have to limit to one letter of rec.  Probably 3-4 max works well.  

 

Get those tests done and start rushing.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EvilEagle said:

You don't have to limit to one letter of rec.  Probably 3-4 max works well.  

 

Get those tests done and start rushing.  

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EvilEagle said:

You don't have to limit to one letter of rec.  Probably 3-4 max works well.  

 

Get those tests done and start rushing.  

Thanks, let me re-phrase the question.  I want to submit 3 letter of recommendation, I have two already, from an F16 pilot, and my mentor/737 captain.  Need advise on which one should be the third one included, SAS Col, F111 Driver, or another airline pilot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ecc97 said:

Thanks, let me re-phrase the question.  I want to submit 3 letter of recommendation, I have two already, from an F16 pilot, and my mentor/737 captain.  Need advise on which one should be the third one included, SAS Col, F111 Driver, or another airline pilot.  

Honestly, I'd ask them all for recommendations and then use the best three. They don't need to know if you did or didn't use their recommendation, but it might be good to have extras. I have seen applications that request as little as two recommendations and as many as five.

Plus, it is good to have options. I asked someone to write me a letter of recommendation and it read like it was written by a freshman in high school. I had no way of knowing the guy was a horrible writer, and while I appreciated that he took the time to write it, it was not usable.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...