Children of US troops born overseas will no longer get automatic American citizenship

Homestar

Couldn't find a relevant existing thread for this one:

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-children-born-abroad-citizenship

The part that seems confusing to me is making the child take the oath before the 18th birthday....  So, sometime after learning how to understand human speech and learning how to speak English but before 18th birthday.  This would have been interesting for me since I had a kid in January 20XX and moved back to the States two months later.  Would have had to apply for an immigrant visa or something?

But he loves service members, see how he cancelled all those vet's student loans?!?!

This should make getting a clearance update done so much easier.  Already was a pain in the ass w/ a kiddo born WHERE THE GOVERNMENT TOLD ME TO LIVE.

• Upvote 4

I hope this is fake news.  My Dad and my son were both born in Europe while their Dads were stationed there on active duty.

There should not be any question about anyone in similar circumstances being born Americans!

Former viper bro now working in the embassy world already crushed this WOM - according to him, only applies to children of parents who were not naturalized US citizens at the time of child’s birth. So basically this affects very few people.  

Another bait article completely misleading people, likely in order to incite dislike for the current administration. Standard bullshit that even smart people choose to form an immediate opinion on without doing any actual research/fact checking. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, brabus said:

Former viper bro now working in the embassy world already crushed this WOM - according to him, only applies to children of parents who were not naturalized US citizens at the time of child’s birth. So basically this affects very few people.  

Another bait article completely misleading people, likely in order to incite dislike for the current administration. Standard bullshit that even smart people choose to form an immediate opinion on without doing any actual research/fact checking. 

What if one parent isn’t a citizen,  just a green card? That effects more than a few people.

• Downvote 1

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-citizenship-children-of-troops-government-employees-not-automatic-new-policy/

According to the fact sheet, the new policy won't affect the following children:

• Those whose parents are both U.S. citizens, with at least one parent who had a residence in the U.S. or its territories before the child was born;
  • Those who have two married parents, one of whom is a U.S. citizen who "was physically present in the U.S." or its territories for at least five years, with two of those years occurring after the parent was 14 years of age;
  • Those who have unmarried parents, one of whom is a U.S. citizen meeting requirements listed in U.S. statute INA 309
  • Those who are eligible to have their U.S. citizenship certified at birth;
  • And those residing in the U.S. with their U.S. citizen parent after being admitted to the U.S. for permanent residence.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, brabus said:

Would have affected our family.  

Copy, it will affect some people. Look at bob’s list above and tell me that it doesn’t cover the vast majority? This is a non factor for 98% (made up stat, but it makes the point) - no policy will be perfect for 100% of a group of people. 

1 hour ago, brabus said:

Copy, it will affect some people. Look at bob’s list above and tell me that it doesn’t cover the vast majority? This is a non factor for 98% (made up stat, but it makes the point) - no policy will be perfect for 100% of a group of people. 

What was wrong with the old policy?

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

The old policy conflicted with statutes issued since it was first published in 2004: 

“However, as of October 29, 2019, USCIS is no longer committed to this reasoning because the prior USCIS policy guidance is in conflict with several provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), especially with changes to the acquisition of citizenship statutes that occurred in 2008, after the initial policy determination in 2004.

First, permitting a child to be eligible simultaneously for a Certificate of Citizenship under INA 320 and for naturalization under INA 322 conflicts with the language of INA 322(a), which states that a parent “may apply for naturalization on behalf of a child born outside of the United States who has not acquired citizenship automatically under INA 320.”

Second, considering children who are living outside of the United States to be “residing in the United States” conflicts with the definition of “residence” at INA 101(a)(33), which defines “residence” as a person’s “principal, actual dwelling place in fact.”

Third, considering these children to be “residing in the United States” is at odds with INA 322(d), which was enacted in 2008,16 4 years after USCIS issued policy guidance on the topic. When Congress enacted INA 322(d), it provided for special procedures in cases involving the naturalization of “a child of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is authorized to accompany such member and reside abroad with the member pursuant to the member's official orders, and is so accompanying and residing with the member.”

Congress placed this provision under INA 322, which applies only to children “residing outside of the United States.” It did not provide similar language for such children to acquire citizenship under INA 320.”

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

It violated law. Don’t like it, change the law. My personal point though was more holistic - people these days immediately blow a gasket when they read something on the internet or the news anchor tells them, with no regard for the accuracy level of the info they just received.  100% of the time a person reads something on the internet or hears it on the news, the first reaction should be, “interesting, I’ll do some research on that before I form an opinion or spread a WOM like the clap at BQZip’s mom’s house.” Instead probably over half of the pop, including smart, successful  people, go full rabble rabble and spread bullshit as their first reaction. It’s not just asshat millennials in Portland that are the problem...

• Like 5
  • Upvote 7

2 hours ago, brabus said:

It violated law. Don’t like it, change the law. My personal point though was more holistic - people these days immediately blow a gasket when they read something on the internet or the news anchor tells them, with no regard for the accuracy level of the info they just received.  100% of the time a person reads something on the internet or hears it on the news, the first reaction should be, “interesting, I’ll do some research on that before I form an opinion or spread a WOM like the clap at BQZip’s mom’s house.” Instead probably over half of the pop, including smart, successful  people, go full rabble rabble and spread bullshit as their first reaction. It’s not just asshat millennials in Portland that are the problem...

True, although the original notice did read as though this affected far more people than the clarified statements indicate.  I'm generally good at figuring out legal language, and the original notice was fairly broad and ambiguous.

2 hours ago, raimius said:

True, although the original notice did read as though this affected far more people than the clarified statements indicate.  I'm generally good at figuring out legal language, and the original notice was fairly broad and ambiguous.

Same. I went and found it and it didn't read anything like the clarity provided here.

I was born overseas and my parents had to do a Report of Birth Abroad.  I also had to meet with a judge at an immigration court in either D.C. or Virginia when I was 5 years old to get a Certificate of Citizenship (DOJ Form N-560).  Granted, this was over 50 years ago; but both my parents were U.S. citizens (my mother is a naturalized citizen) and I was born in a US Army hospital outside Frankfurt (which ironically is now the U.S. Consulate General Office).

One of our boys was born in Germany as well (Landstuhl) over 20 years ago, but for the life of me I can't remember having to do any citizenship paperwork for him when we returned.

1 hour ago, M2 said:

I was born overseas and my parents had to do a Report of Birth Abroad.  I also had to meet with a judge at an immigration court in either D.C. or Virginia when I was 5 years old to get a Certificate of Citizenship (DOJ Form N-560).  Granted, this was over 50 years ago; but both my parents were U.S. citizens (my mother is a naturalized citizen) and I was born in a US Army hospital outside Frankfurt (which ironically is now the U.S. Consulate General Office).

One of our boys was born in Germany as well (Landstuhl) over 20 years ago, but for the life of me I can't remember having to do any citizenship paperwork for him when we returned.

I was born in the Netherlands in a local dr office, my dad was stationed there with the Air Force. My birth certificate is of a US citizen board abroad, the State Dept gave it to my dad when he gave them the Dutch birth certificate, and we didn’t have to do anything beyond that for my citizenship. 

This was early 80s timeframe.

8 hours ago, brabus said:

Most of the original articles had the actual memo/policy from the govt.  It definitely raised questions.  

21 hours ago, brabus said:

12 hours ago, brabus said:

Nailed it; "New Citizenship Policy to Affect Roughly 25 Military Children Per Year, Officials Say ".

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/08/29/new-citizenship-policy-affect-roughly-25-military-children-year-officials-say.html

3 hours ago, waveshaper said:

Nailed it; "New Citizenship Policy to Affect Roughly 25 Military Children Per Year, Officials Say ".

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/08/29/new-citizenship-policy-affect-roughly-25-military-children-year-officials-say.html

Hah! When I first glanced at it, I read “25 Million children per year...”