IFS/ UPT FAA Medical and Military FC1

Chiefs89

In regards to being selected as a military pilot and starting IFS, is it a required to have a FAA Medical certificate to fly there? Or is the military flying class 1 med certificate they issue you sufficient? The reason I ask is I am very confident I can pass the Air Force's requirements to fly, however I've had some issues with a DWI a few years ago and the FAA is wanting me to jump through tons of hoops and drop a ton of cash. I have my private pilot license, however the FAA wants me to do there stuff to get the 3rd class medical back. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.

2 hours ago, FlyingFisher said:

Yes it is required to hold an FAA Medical to fly during IFS and the flight doc will issue you an FAA Class 3 Medical certificate at the end of your FC-1 exam.

That leads me to a couple more questions. So an FAA Medical is only required during IFS? Meaning you wouldn't need an FAA Medical for the rest of your military flight training/career? Also would you happen to know if a DWI would causes any issues with me receiving any type of medical certificate? Thanks for your input!

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/app_history/item18/v/

"A single driving while intoxicated (DWI) arrest, conviction and/or administrative action usually is not cause for denial provided there are no other instances or indications of substance dependence or abuse." 

Never do that shit again though and be aware that the FAA isn't the end of dealing with that poor choice, if you make it to a hiring board expect that they will absolutely question you about it too.

As far as if you only need an FAA Medical for IFS and nothing else I do not know (I'm just a lowly selectee waiting for UPT dates) but I would be surprised if that was the case. Compared to your FC1 and yearly check by the flight doc an FAA physical is a cake walk so there really wouldn't be any reason not to maintain a current FAA Medical Certificate, especially if the airlines is your eventual goal.

Edited by FlyingFisher