Recently Naturalized Citizen becoming a pilot

javacuzzi

Question

I am a permanent resident in the U.S. and a junior in college. I will be applying for U.S. citizenship in summer 2020 as that is when my time required for naturalization becomes fulfilled. 

Once I become a U.S. citizen, I plan on going through OTS for commission and becoming a pilot in the USAF.

I have heard that background check on an individual who has spent a significant time abroad can take much longer and could result in rejection at the end.

I had moved back and forth between here and South Korea until high school, which was when I permanently moved to here. 

Could someone please elaborate on this information about background check on recently naturalized citizen and/or someone who has spent many years abroad?

Could my background prevent me from becoming a pilot in the USAF?

Thank you in advance.

6 answers to this question

I'm not that far in the process but from the people I've talked to living abroad shouldn't be much of an issue (lived in Europe and Canada through all of high school). The issue there comes if you, for example, lived in Russia or China for a while. Being a naturalized citizen could be more problematic though. I would guess the answer is maybe, maybe not. The only way to find out is to go for it though. Make them tell you no. If this is really what you want do everything you can to make it happen and don't quit until everyone has told you no. Even if you don't make it through there's a big difference between "I tried my best and it just didn't work out for XYZ reason" and "I never even bothered".

Dude, your going to be fine. I was born in colombia. Moved to the states when I was 10 yrs old. Got my citizenship when I was 18 while at basic. It was pretty simple process for bros joining the military. Specially on the enlisted side. There was a dude that spoke no English at all from Africa. Left basic fluent lol a solid E-6 last time I ran into him. Good luck. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 9:44 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

Dude, your going to be fine. I was born in colombia. Moved to the states when I was 10 yrs old. Got my citizenship when I was 18 while at basic. It was pretty simple process for bros joining the military. Specially on the enlisted side. There was a dude that spoke no English at all from Africa. Left basic fluent lol a solid E-6 last time I ran into him. Good luck. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Yep, second this.  We see people coming through the pilot application process who were born and raise in other countries.  Not sure if they had more hoops to jump through, but they were accepted into UPT.

1 hour ago, stuckindayton said:

Yep, second this.  We see people coming through the pilot application process who were born and raise in other countries.  Not sure if they had more hoops to jump through, but they were accepted into UPT.

Attaining clearances can be a pain in the buns. Not a showstopper, just a nuisance.

You'll be fine, I know multiple former foreigners from less friendly countries than South Korea that made it to UPT. The only issue would be renouncing your non-US citizenship is a requirement to commission, I believe, and that can be tricky.