Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Swanwick

What is a good company to Mil-leave from?

Posted (edited)

I finish my Bachelor's May 2020 and will be rushing units beginning then. I currently pay the bills with single-pilot corporate flying and contract gigs, but I wonder if I should sign on with an established company after I graduate but before I'm hired by the military to make the most of my USERRA rights. 

I could continue to be a contract pilot which would give me the option to rush units on my own schedule (but my job wouldn't be protected through USERRA). Or try to join a regional with a flow program to one of the majors. Or join a large charter op such as XOJet, which also seems to have flow to the majors now.

What are your suggestions/experiences?

Edited by Swanwick

6 hours ago, Swanwick said:

I finish my Bachelor's May 2020 and will be rushing units beginning then. I currently pay the bills with single-pilot corporate flying and contract gigs, but I wonder if I should sign on with an established company after I graduate but before I'm hired by the military to make the most of my USERRA rights. 

I could continue to be a contract pilot which would give me the option to rush units on my own schedule (but my job wouldn't be protected through USERRA). Or try to join a regional with a flow program to one of the majors. Or join a large charter op such as XOJet, which also seems to have flow to the majors now.

What are your suggestions/experiences?

Rush now, some units will interview if you're a year away from graduating. If not, you'll make contacts. 

What do you mean "make the most of my USERRA rights?" There's only one "right." it's that your employer has to hold your position. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the second part but you are in no way protected under USERRA when rushing units. 

4 minutes ago, rudderrightmore said:

Rush now, some units will interview if you're a year away from graduating. If not, you'll make contacts.

Good point, thank you.

What do you mean "make the most of my USERRA rights?" There's only one "right." it's that your employer has to hold your position. 

Point taken.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the second part but you are in no way protected under USERRA when rushing units.

I know of some guys who signed up for a regional before joining the ANG and came back four years later with a great seniority number waiting for them. I'm wondering whether that's my best option or if there are alternative strategies that the search function didn't turn up. As a contract pilot I can rush units whenever I want. One concern I have is being stuck on a regional schedule and not having the time to rush units; is this a valid concern?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swanwick said:

I know of some guys who signed up for a regional before joining the ANG and came back four years later with a great seniority number waiting for them. I'm wondering whether that's my best option or if there are alternative strategies that the search function didn't turn up.

I feel like someone got away with that once and the airline smartened up. More power to you if it's possible though.

Yes, it is a valid concern, I had units call me a week in advance to come out for an interview.. not much notice. Fortunately my other career allows me to work remotely so I kind of just disappeared for a week,  but obviously you cant do that when you're flying. 

Posts like these make us look bad imo. I understand it’s the law and a benefit but blatant abuse like dropping mil leave for a better seniority number just sounds immoral to me. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for using what’s rightfully yours but stories like this are what gets laws or policies changed. As officers and pilots, I can surely say we have it much better than the enlisted force and the potential repercussions of enough people doing this will affect them more than us. 

For example, I know of 2 private companies that ended their salary match program after enough people dropping mil leave every couple months for years for home station work. 

• Like 1

It's a valid question though. I know that there are companies that will round file your resume if they notice you're in the reserves or guard. They've had enough issues with us in the past and they can't accommodate someone leaving for drills or AT during the season. I get it. I split train all of my drills when I'm scheduled for work because I have a hitch schedule. In helicopter aviation, if you allow someone else to start flying your contract, then they have your contract when the music stops and there's no more work. You might still 'have a job,' but when you're paid a daily rate and not salaried, that doesn't mean much. I'm in a better situation now with a lot more leverage over my employer, but I don't screw over my employer because they pay my mortgage; Uncle Sugar doesn't.

Long term orders are a bit of a different story, but it's still a very valid question. If I was the OP, I'd go to a large company that will stand a good chance of weathering a recession and still existing in a few years. I'd also be very proactive in communicating with the first-line supervisor about what to expect and try to work out with them a plan to minimize impact to the company. 

Lockheed. Differential pay while on mil leave up to the USERRA 5 year limit. Can’t beat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 2:30 PM, PilotPitts said:

Lockheed. Differential pay while on mil leave up to the USERRA 5 year limit. Can’t beat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do differential the whole 5 year period? I could of swore the policy said up to 4 weeks?

Anyone have any gouge on if Northrop Grumman has the same differential pay policy as Lockheed?

They do differential the whole 5 year period? I could of swore the policy said up to 4 weeks?

Anyone have any gouge on if Northrop Grumman has the same differential pay policy as Lockheed?

It’s policy that was recently updated this year (and God willing stays that way).

As for Northrop, haven’t been there for a few years, but last time I checked it’s as you stated, only for the weekend drills and 2 week training.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

17 minutes ago, iRobot said:

It’s policy that was recently updated this year (and God willing stays that way).

As for Northrop, haven’t been there for a few years, but last time I checked it’s as you stated, only for the weekend drills and 2 week training.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Might be time to head back to LM if I get hired 😏