Bad ass planes list

MCO

• 2 weeks later...

I would have agreed 4 months ago regarding the BUFF, but having flown thru Europe (won’t mention where we stopped) looking down from our cockpit upon the backside of a cordoned off BUFF with a security team around it I question just how Bad Ass it is now... It was the WG bird too... Apparently had a double engine 🔥 🔥, yup 2.... and diverted there. We kept our vintage 747 going on to the next stop and next, but the oven was a bit sketchy I must say.

I will say that it was Bad Ass enough to shutdown 2 engines and flutter on in for MX.

Best BUFF quote I have ever heard: “Everyone grab a throttle, we’re going around!!!”

At least the F-15 is being produced yet again to bring the Hammer that the F-22/35 could not. >Payload, very impressive.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

Thanks iRobot your right on the money, F-15X or EX was old news I thought.

These past few decades we rarely if ever procure initial numbers of aircraft our services request/set out for . F-22 fell far short, F-35s will fall further as budgets tighten most likely. Supposedly the new F-15 variant will carry 16 or up to 22 Air-2-Air missiles; therefore, it will be the “Hammer” even if it fell short to a mere 12 compared to stealthy F-22/35 being less than 6 or 8. Granted, I guess you hard mount and bring more to the fight but what’s the point... 22s/35s clear the way/targeting for the Hammer.

Either way, there’s mention of keeping 2 companies in the Fighter business for diversification as well. Cheaper proven upgraded aircraft to help sustain the fleet while 35s come on line, F-15 platform seems like a great choice. Just an opinion.

*Its like when we bought C-17s to replace C-141s, they weren’t thinking to replace nearly 300 C-141s one for one. Buys were something like 60, then another 60, then another 60, how about another 40... While the C-17 is more capable, AMC just forgets that they could NOT be in 285 locations around the world with 120 aircraft... need more and more, dang it... Gotta figure footprint at some point, can’t be everywhere.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

On 8/27/2019 at 11:35 PM, AirGuardianC141747 said:

I would have agreed 4 months ago regarding the BUFF, but having flown thru Europe (won’t mention where we stopped) looking down from our cockpit upon the backside of a cordoned off BUFF with a security team around it I question just how Bad Ass it is now... It was the WG bird too... Apparently had a double engine 🔥 🔥, yup 2.... and diverted there. We kept our vintage 747 going on to the next stop and next, but the oven was a bit sketchy I must say.

I will say that it was Bad Ass enough to shutdown 2 engines and flutter on in for MX.

Best BUFF quote I have ever heard: “Everyone grab a throttle, we’re going around!!!”

At least the F-15 is being produced yet again to bring the Hammer that the F-22/35 could not. >Payload, very impressive.

Just because you can fly on six does not mean you should

Edited by 08Dawg
CAuse

On 8/30/2019 at 10:31 PM, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Totally agree! Us 4 holers (74 Drivers) always make fun of those flying in a constant state of emergency with 2 (our fellow company 76 and triple 7 Drivers).

But the AF did resurrect another B-52 from the boneyard recently...

Two of them actually. One to replace the Guam crash and one to replace the one that burned up at KBAD in 15 or so. 

Since Popular Mechanics calls it "a badass plane", I'll post this here:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a28872861/u-2-plane-history/?fbclid=IwAR18hdRo5XmuSABUHzvAEeU9JsS3iM-VbuiXqBHn4vBGNSkFqh7sPlGhWAQ

As for Chuck Maultsby, I've heard the story told a bit differently, but no less epic.  However, Chuck later was picked up for the Thunderbirds in 1958 as #3.  He previously spent 22 months as a POW in Korea.  Quite a career, to say the least.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Lol at “journalism”. From the article:
“Maultsby hoped he was close to friendly territory and made the decision to kill his engines and allow the massive U-2 wingspan to glide him as far as they could. To his surprise, he maintained an altitude of 70,000 feet for about ten minutes before he started his descent.”
That’s a good one. Apparently he was flying the dual motor U-2, and must’ve spent 10 minutes bouncing off the atmosphere before finally coming down.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app