Army to UPT (AFRC/ANG)

CavGuy

Hello gentleman,

I'm an Officer in the Army National Guard. 5 years ago out of college I applied to a bunch of ANG units and got selected for UPT with one. Everything went smoothly until I had a color vision issue at MEPS (since resolved) which ultimately railroaded me from moving forward with flying in the ANG. I was pretty beat at that point. I was reading the thread in the Aviation Medicine section how the AF has since changed their color vision policy and scoring chart on the CCT exam. I have taken the CCT in the past and have passed it to the now AF standards (I took it under the old standards but not at an AF physical). 

Ultimately, how feasible is it to do a lateral branch transfer to the ANG/AFRC for a UPT slot? I have all the TBAS and AFOQT tests out of the way (I can dig up my scores if i need to), age 25 and instrument rated pilot. 

TIA

I though if you ain’t CAV you ain’t SHIT?... jk Are you a helo rated guy in the Army? The transfer part is not impossible and your age is good. If you find a squadron that likes you they will back you up. I’m not to familiar with med waivers this days. Also are you army AD? During your previous UPT meps experience, did you ever get anything thing on paper that said you are unfit for flight duty or a DQ? Ultimately, you could call flight medicine at WP and hear it from the horses mouth regarding whether you could meet today's standards vs old standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Edited by CharlieHotel47
spelling

I was in the same boat as you 4 years ago. Since the new CCT standard was published, I secured another UPT slot, passed my FC1, and will begin UPT in April. 

It will go a long way if you are up front with units about your past and how you now meet the requirement.

Hell, if I was you — I’d reach out to the unit that previously selected me and explain the situation. If they aren’t willing to take another chance on you and your scores are good and you’re a decent bro, you’ll get picked up elsewhere.

When is your ARNG commitment up? This seems like the biggest (yet one that can be overcome) roadblock.

Thanks for the replies guys, extremely encouraging and exciting to hear. I'm a maintenance guy so no Army flying for me. I never even took the AF flight physical during the UPT process and there is nothing that ever said I was DQ'd from flight. It was a beaurocratic issue working with MEPS to the point it wasn't productive to pursue it any further at the time. I went to Civ doctors during that time as well who had the CCT in their office. Took it and did not pass to the AF standards at the time, so I figured UPT was dead in the water and moved on with life. 

rb1391, were you still on a contract when you started the hunt for another UPT slot? I've got 5 years left on mine...which will put me right at 30.

Forgot to mention I'm not AD, just typical M-day National Guard, no bonuses or tuition assistance. 

I heard back from the unit I was offered a UPT slot with in 2014 and it sounds encouraging! Sounds like I may not have to re-apply for a board interview and just get a conditional release from the Army Guard.

• Like 1

Cavguy- 

Fortunately, I was in the same unit from my initial commissioning commitment. My leadership let me move over to the Airlift Squadron as they were aware of my unfortunate news in 2015.

If you’re willing to share, what unit were you originally hired with?