Wearing a beard in Interviews

I wanted to ask a question that I keep getting mixed responses to. I've been invited to a few interviews at ANG units but, so far, no offers. Like any good applicant, I've been reflecting on my responses, trying to improve my talking points for the next one, and asking for feedback from the boards (although most have not given any). I think I am fairly well qualified on paper and I've been able to practice and develop good responses highlighting my strengths and experience that, I think, make me competitive. 

One thing that I have been wondering, though, is about appearance. I'm currently a working professional. In the office on a daily basis I keep a closely-cropped beard. In today's professional world no one would even bat an eye at that. When I come to an ANG interview, I usually dress in a nice suit and tie, shined shoes, hair cut, to the nines. I also clean up my beard but I don't shave it off completely. I usually trim it down very short and use a razor to clean up the lines so that it looks very clean and professional.

But I've heard from other applicants on the circuit that it may actually impact me negatively. Obviously, military standard is clean shaven. But coming in as a civilian, I didn't think it would be such a big deal. Having a beard doesn't mean a person is sloppy, under-qualified, or have any bearing on their character. It's just a stylistic choice. In a way I'm "being myself" and expressing my style. I would think by dressing professionally, having a solid resume, and speaking well in your interview would be what's really important. But I can also see how that can be perceived as, "you're applying to be in the military, you should dress for the part."

I know that every unit is different, perceives applicants differently, and focuses on different things that are important. But I wanted to ask the forums here and possibly get feedback from any pilots currently on boards what their experiences were. If anyone has interviewed with facial hair and never experienced any trouble? If anyone had been explicitly told to come clean shaven or that it was the reason for not being hired? If any current panel pilots specifically reject applicants that do not show up clean shaven?

You want to be yourself, yes.. however, most of the bros I fly with hate shaving. We welcomed the opportunity NOT to shave when I was flying EAPs in the AOR. If I was part of your hiring board, I would probably constantly think and/or wonder why you couldn't shave for the interview while other members ask you questions. Was it because you lack the common knowledge that most folks in the conventional military have to shave? do you care more about your personal looks and you prettttty little beard than the job your currently applying for? While asking myself all of the above questions, my thoughts would eventually change to something along the lines of "damn... this dude has an awesome beard... and I had shave this morning while on my way to drill in the car because I was too lazy to wake up early to shave in the bathroom". Either way, due to the numerous thoughts and questions that might be running thru my head, it would most certainly pull me away from the fact that you might be God's gift to aviation (on paper...) Now it will be pretty stupid to NOT select a solid competitive candidate over a beard. Unfortunately in the military, we might find ourselves doing things are are pretty STUPID more often than none. Its a love hate relationship. 

Shave the beard, be a cool bro on your next interview, don't be a tool and show them you would be the perfect fit for the squadron. 

• Like 1