The longest of long shots...

Trying to get back on topic here -- I neglected to mention something:

I have a bit of a criminal record - from 2003. Petty Larceny but dropped to a violation and I had to pay a fine. I was young and stupid. Other than that I have a couple of traffic violations from a year ago (following too closely and failure to merge. I was in traffic on my motorcycle and I wanted to get out of said traffic quickly). I have been a saint since that only thing in 2003. 16 years ago.

I'm worried that I'm already too old and they're going to see that when they do a background check and just tell me to not quit my day job, so to speak. 

Thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, definitelymaybe said:

36 this year.

Should have read your original post. Sry. There was a guy I knew that got picked up at 35 for a fighter unit. Another dude that was sent to UPT at 37 but he was a 10 yr nav with heavy wing CC backing and maybe a LOR from a star. 

Edited by CharlieHotel47
spelling

I am getting an LOR from a captain (current ANG aviator). Unfortunately I am not heavily connected. I am going for heavies, navigator or RPT and also non-rated. Really just want the opportunity to serve my country. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) this is something that I was inspired by a bit later in life.

17 hours ago, definitelymaybe said:

Trying to get back on topic here -- I neglected to mention something:

I have a bit of a criminal record - from 2003. Petty Larceny but dropped to a violation and I had to pay a fine. I was young and stupid. Other than that I have a couple of traffic violations from a year ago (following too closely and failure to merge. I was in traffic on my motorcycle and I wanted to get out of said traffic quickly). I have been a saint since that only thing in 2003. 16 years ago.

I'm worried that I'm already too old and they're going to see that when they do a background check and just tell me to not quit my day job, so to speak. 

Thoughts? 

I still wouldn't worry too much. Unless you're quitting your job to make this opportunity come to life, then you have nothing to lose. If you give it an honest shot and don't get picked up for your criminal record, or low scores or *insert reason here*, then you can sleep at night knowing you did something about it i.e. tried to pursue your dreams. Keep applying and obviously highlight your strengths. No one is a saint and it may even show you are human if you don't have a perfect slate. 

I had a record for "disturbing the peace" (school fist fight), which happened to be an entertaining story for the studs I interviewed with. Don't sweat it too much. Just work hard and hope for the best. 🤙

Edited by iRobot
  • Like 1

I'm double retired, 20 years in the Air Force, followed by 20 years in a couple of small Austin software startups.

I agree with the commentator that if you are working at a FANG in a technical position you would be crazy to go active duty at age 36.    Max out your 401K and do some conservative investing, you'll be fine in your old age!

I do understand that tech companies consider people over more or less your age to be 'poor culture fits', but if I could work as a software developer until age 63, you can stay in tech also.   But I'm not you, I admit.

If you want to go to pilot training or as a non-rated officer,  apply for it and make them say no

As an American, I wish the USAF could get more FANG type people into the Cyber and Space related positions.   Good thing I'm not Dictator of America or I would probably just draft you to Security Hill in San Antonio!  😉

If I were you I'd look towards the guard or reserve.  My understanding is that the big FANG type companies are Guard/Reserve friendly.   You can stay in your high paid but maybe a little boring day job, and still live the glamorous life of an active duty officer enough to scratch that itch and earn a nice retirement package at age 60.  And you'd be ready to go if Uncle Sam gets his ass in a crack and really needs you!  

Edited to add:  You won't be stationed in the War Room, and 'Fly and Fight' is kind of a thing in the rest of the Air Force.  Don't worry about that.

Edited by JimNtexas

4 hours ago, iRobot said:

I still wouldn't worry too much. Unless you're quitting your job to make this opportunity come to life, then you have nothing to lose. If you give it an honest shot and don't get picked up for your criminal record, or low scores or *insert reason here*, then you can sleep at night knowing you did something about it i.e. tried to pursue your dreams. Keep applying and obviously highlight your strengths. No one is a saint and it may even show you are human if you don't have a perfect slate. 

I had a record for "disturbing the peace" (school fist fight), which happened to be an entertaining story for the studs I interviewed with. Don't sweat it too much. Just work hard and hope for the best. 🤙

Haha sometimes I definitely think about quitting my job but I know that reserves/guard is a much better move (and if I get accepted and I love it I an still go AD if I want to). 

I appreciate the feedback as usual.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iRobot said:

Bro you calling dudes studs? I could of swore it is the shortened version of "Stud-ent", but you straight up out here calling other dudes studs. Pause.

1 hour ago, JimNtexas said:

I'm double retired, 20 years in the Air Force, followed by 20 years in a couple of small Austin software startups.

I agree with the commentator that if you are working at a FANG in a technical position you would be crazy to go active duty at age 36.    Max out your 401K and do some conservative investing, you'll be fine in your old age!

I do understand that tech companies consider people over more or less your age to be 'poor culture fits', but if I could work as a software developer until age 63, you can stay in tech also.   But I'm not you, I admit.

If you want to go to pilot training or as a non-rated officer,  apply for it and make them say no

As an American, I wish the USAF could get more FANG type people into the Cyber and Space related positions.   Good thing I'm not Dictator of America or I would probably just draft you to Security Hill in San Antonio!  😉

If I were you I'd look towards the guard or reserve.  My understanding is that the big FANG type companies are Guard/Reserve friendly.   You can stay in your high paid but maybe a little boring day job, and still live the glamorous life of an active duty officer enough to scratch that itch and earn a nice retirement package at age 60.  And you'd be ready to go if Uncle Sam gets his ass in a crack and really needs you!  

Edited to add:  You won't be stationed in the War Room, and 'Fly and Fight' is kind of a thing in the rest of the Air Force.  Don't worry about that.

This is great input. My job is definitely boring. I won't go into details but the FAANG world isn't glamorous. As far as culture fit issues go I honestly think I would be perfect because I genuinely want to be there and serve. I know that sounds cheesy and Hollywood-ish. I promise it's not. Money is not an issue for me and I'm not in it for the retirement. My biggest regret is that I waited this long to realize what I want to do and I just hope it isn't too late. I have 3 years left and I will keep applying until the last possible second. I was told to not enlist, even though sometimes I want to just because it's a slightly easier path to hit my objective. I think I have a lot to offer and I don't have a huge ego (rare in my industry) and I want to be able to learn from others as well. Fingers crossed I guess?

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All - Want to reiterate how much I appreciate the advice and feedback I received on here. It helped with my optimism and preparedness for heading into board interviews.

Happy to let all of you know that I had two board interviews, was considered top candidate for both positions, and immediately accepted at one of them (the squadron which was my top choice in this process). I don't want to doxx myself by revealing the role and squadron location. I'm just really excited that my hard work paid off and the respective boards saw my potential to be part of such an amazing organization. It is a non-rated position within the Air National Guard. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2019 at 10:02 AM, JustHangingOut said:

another old dude here...you can make it happen if it's what you want. Like others have said, make the squadrons tell you know. Don't self eliminate before you even apply.

Did you address your age in your cover letter / resume / application at all? Something like "I know i'm older but I bring xyz to the table..."? I figured I wouldn't, that if they like me enough to interview me I could address it at the interview, but curious how other older applicants handled this. Thanks! 

20 hours ago, xwingexplorer said:

Did you address your age in your cover letter / resume / application at all? Something like "I know i'm older but I bring xyz to the table..."? I figured I wouldn't, that if they like me enough to interview me I could address it at the interview, but curious how other older applicants handled this. Thanks! 

They can do the simple math about your age. Give them reasons to hire you. Not reasons for the opposite. You dont need to say " I am this age but, I am this old but I can do this." Just highlight your strengths regardless of age. 

3 minutes ago, ryleypav said:

They can do the simple math about your age. Give them reasons to hire you. Not reasons for the opposite. You dont need to say " I am this age but, I am this old but I can do this." Just highlight your strengths regardless of age. 

Makes sense - I figured that would be the case. Thanks.