Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Originally posted by brabus:

Which finance/personnel people do I talk to to get DLA...I'm going TDY to ASBC enroute to Vance, so do I call the guys at Maxwell or Vance before I move?

You are entitled to an advance on your DLA if you would like to get it to help with moving expenses, or just want to have the cash en route. For that you would talk to the Finance at your current base. If you don't want it then you will fill out an A$$load of paperwork when you in process at Vance and get a decent sized check about 2 days later.

Also a sidenote to TLE (the 10 days of paid lodging). That is the most flexible pay I think we are entitled to. For example, if you stayed in a hotel for 10 days (more expensive) and billetting for 5, you don't have to report the billetting, you could just claim the hotel. Also it can be split up. When I PCSed to Pcola years ago I stayed in a hotel M-Thus while my buddy was in training then stayed with him on the weekends when he wasn't busy. This allowed me to spread that 10 paid days out a little longer while I waited for my apartment to open up.

Oh yeah and Brabus, there is an Amn in the finance office who is unbelievable. He will make sure you get all you are entitled to and then some. He's the first guy I've ever seen that not only knows his ish, but wants all of us to get what's outs. A solid guy. PM me if you got any questions about lovely Vance. I'm still here about to go TDY to Altus for training but I'll be around.

Don't forget an advance in pay when you PCS. Technique only, but when you PCS, ask for an advance on your pay. The money will be taken out over a period of 12 months and works out to be an interest free loan.

Originally posted by brabus:

Which finance/personnel people do I talk to to get DLA...I'm going TDY to ASBC enroute to Vance, so do I call the guys at Maxwell or Vance before I move?

Vance.

• 4 weeks later...

*Searched this site as well as the 800 pages of JTR and 450 pages of AFI 36-2110 to no avail* (so if i missed it, I apologize)

I just PCSed and was given 6 travel days. I intentionally took 7 days to PCS knowing I would be charged a day of leave.

So I was surprised to see on my May LES that I had been charged 3 days of leave. So I went into finance and after waiting for over an hour to talk to them, I was told that it was because I had singed out of my previous base on a friday afternoon - even though I didn't start driving until about 0600 monday (I've got the rental truck receipt from Budget showing I picked up the truck on Saturday...but no proof for sunday). So they charged me for leave for Saturday and Sunday as well as the additonal day I knew I was taking. I was told that I had to "sign out" of the losing unit the same day I start travel in order to not be charged any leave (even though I was on the road before the MPF opened so i could be through the monday morning traffic)

So I called back my old base (which had told me that it was ok and customary for people to sign out the day before they start driving...and in my case, I could sign out on Friday close to COB for a monday departure). They again confirmed what they had previously told me.

(I had also used this maneuver on a previous PCS with no issues, and no additional leave charged).

So, I again went back to finance here at the gaining base and again waited over an hour with rental truck receipt in hand (to show I was still at my duty station that weekend and that I wasn;t just trying to get a few free days of leave), and the finance person seemed rather irritated that I was asking her to point out where in the reg that I had to "sign-out" the same day I started driving. She told me she didn;t know where it was but could probably e-mail it to me "later".

All right, I know it is only 2 days of leave here, but after spending over 2 hours in finance trying to get answers, and having the supposed SME tell me she didn't know where in the reg it stated what she was claiming and that she would have to find it, it is now a matter of principle (and as of right now, she is subjectively charging me 2 days of leave).

Has anyone else signed out at COB and then left the next morning? Does anyone know of another AFI that could provide guidance. My squadron is deployed and only a few CGOs are around (so no ADOs who can go into leave web and "fix the glitch").

Guest pavesooner

BS BS BS....

Your travel begins the day you depart....dont settle for an answer from an airman...ask to see the TSgt or MSgt running that office....

When I dept England, we sign out and begin travel the next day. The day you sign out is the earliest you can leave not necessarily the exact day you leave. However, it has to be within reason. I dont think you could sign out hang out a week then depart. Leaving the next duty day seems more than reasonable.

Again if it is in the reg make them show it to you then. No one is more important than the customer they are working with at the time. Since that was you, you should not have left without resolution. The check or email is in the mail in this case is poor customer service. They work for you!

I think Finance is correct. Don't confuse "travel days" with M-F "work days". You can sign-out of your losing unit and travel the next day--no requirement to travel the actual day you sign out.

However, in your case you signed out of your losing unit on a Friday and departed 2 days after you should have (Saturday), leaving on Monday.

Once you sign out of your losing unit, starting the next day your "travel days" begin counting. I've delayed my departure after signing out as well as delaying my sign-in with the gaining unit, and both times been charged leave.

Likewise, if you arrive at your new duty station on the weekend, just by arriving in town you're not charged leave while you wait until Monday a.m. to sign-in with your gaining unit.

Batman

Guest FredEx

How does your order read? Specifically, does it state that you were approved to sign out on the Friday and start driving on Monday? If that verbage is missing, then the tech who comped the voucher at the gain base is technically correct.

You may need a mod to get this fixed. I would suggest you contact the person you spoke with at your old base (perhaps even getting the chief of travel there involved) and ask the question. Since they cut the order, any mod would need to come from them too.

I know it seems like a lot of run-around for two days leave, but remember there are people out there who file supplemental vouchers for $0.75 beacuse it wasn't paid on their first voucher...

Guest FredEx

A travel day when driving POV equals 350 miles according to the OTD (Official Table of Distance -- or something like that).

If member is authorized six days, it's because the distance from the old base to the new one is around 2100 miles. How quickly -- or long -- it takes you to get there is up to you; anything beyond 6 days though in this case is charged as leave since you have to be in some kind of status (present for duty, in a travel status, leave, TDY en-route, etc).

How can finance tell what really happened? By looking at what was claimed on the voucher & the travel itinerary, dates on receipts, activity on the BoA card, even by asking point-blank questions.

Keep in mind that when a tech goes to compute any kind of travel voucher, they have to go by what is authorized on the order vs. what actually happened (which is why I brought up the modification earlier). That's why a lot of times, vouchers are either returned to member unpaid or only partially reimbursed when there is some sort of discrepancy between the two or if clarification is needed -- it just depends on each individual shop.

Not sure if that answers your question (or even helps) Bendy... ~~

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Toreador

The last time I checked the regs, you were allowed to travel 450 miles the first day and 300 miles each day after til you get there. Im not sure where the 350 miles are coming from, but if someone has a super secret AFI, or newer version, I am sure everyone would be interested in it.

Guest PilotKD

Shack: http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/af.../afi36-2102.pdf

Try paragraph 1.3.2.16, which says:

"Schedule the Final Out-Processing Date. Brief members they are not authorized to out-process earlier than 1 duty day (2 days in the overseas area) prior to their actual departure date or date official leave and travel begins. Example: Do not charge leave for the weekend for individuals who out-process on Friday and certify they will not depart the local area until the following Monday. However, if members depart prior to Monday, their leave or travel will start the actual time and date they physically depart."

Took a few minutes of research, but I would think a "seasoned" MPF airmen should know the basic AFI's the govern the way they do business. You may want to print that page out and bring it in with you the next time, although I'd be hesitant to let them know you found the reg yourself. With all the force shaping they're doing, they may start making aircrew work in finance as augmentees. :rolleyes: jk :D

Of course there could be a waiver to this somewhere that I haven't found. Remember, for every reg, there's probably a few dozen waivers in a half dozen separate AFI's. The Air Force is a regulation nightmare.

PS - Just went through my filing cabinet of long, lost random military documents (save everything) and found an old set of orders. Block 18 is the "Departure Certification" block, which allows you to specify when you are planning on leaving. You put a time and date and sign it. Here's an IMT copy of the AF Form 899 if you need it: http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/formfiles/af/af899/af899.xfd

If you didn't certify you were leaving on Monday, you're screwed. Plain and simple.

[ 12. June 2006, 01:13: Message edited by: PilotKD ]

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in an earlier post, my wife and I both have orders to Beale AFB from Pope AFB and we are trying to figure out the most cost effective way of doing this. We have too many cars for our own good, so I will have to tow one cross country. If I do this with a Uhaul the truck and trailor will cost $1500+. If I do that I understand the car weight doesn't count as part of my DITY weight because it is not my trailor? What if it is my trailor? Does it count then? What is the maximum weight we can be reimbursed for on a partial DITY? Both my wife and I are active duty so we can each do a PDITY. Also.. do I get reimbursed for mileage if I use a Uhaul of do I have to use my own vehicle? If so.. what are the rates?

Yes.. I asked TMO. They have no idea.

If you have too many vehicles and you rent a truck to tow one of them, your not helping anything. It seems to me like you need to tow one of your vehicles with another vehicle. From what I understand is that you will get paid partial DITY for the weight of your property. If you rent a trailer then it does not count in the weight. Of course this will only work if one of your vehicles has the towing capability.

I pulled my boat and had my motorcycle in the bed of my truck along with various other items packed into the truck and boat. I weighed the truck empty then weighed it loaded. Since I owned the trailer the boat sits on it was included with the weight.

Since TMO has no idea I would just weigh your town vehicle and rental trailer empty and then loaded. Make sure you bring in the weight tickets when you file for your partial DITY. Also keep track of what the move costs you exactly in gas rental and tolls. You won't pay taxes on that portion of your reimbursement.

I don't want to derail the thread but I have a related question for the next time I PCS. I'm single and have two vehicles (neither is capable of towing the other). One of the vehicles is a classic collectable and it can't be driven cross country (plus I'm single so I would have nobody to do it for me). I would need to have it trailered, out of my pocket or otherwise. Has anybody dealt with this situation and figured a way to get some or all of it covered in the reimbursement for your DITY move?

Guest kubtastic

Well, for starters, is there an advantage to renting the U-Haul? They run 10 mpg or worse, so a cross-country drive will cost $800ish for the truck. If you get the 7 mpg truck, that'll be $1100 for fuel at $2.80 / gallon.

$2,500 just for taking the truck and trailer cross country, and you still have 2 other cars to move.

You'll get 0.15/mile, or $420 each car for the drive. I don't know if 2 military with dependents married to each other each get their own allowance for 2 cars, but I doubt it. I would say you get 2 between yourselves... Each car will probably consume $300 in gas anyway (25mpg), so don't bank on the mileage rates. Or, you could bite the bullet and get a one-way ticket for some unlucky soul to drive the third vehicle.

How much weight?

Have you seen this calculator? http://www.au.af.mil/42abw/42lrf/calculator.htm

Recommendation: Stuff your 3 cars to the gills and hopefully partial-dity 2000-3000lbs total. Drive them all.

Guest kubtastic

don't attempt to claim the weight of an automobile! anything automotive above spare parts cannot be considered. Apparently (from the other thread) some trailers cannot be considered either.

Per Diem, Mileage, and DLA are not part of the DITY. If you'll both be driving 1 vehicle each, you'll each get 0.15/mile based upon the mileage. Per diem is fixed to each person at $99 per day, and you've got plenty of days to travel. DLA - you'll be separated as well?

[ 23. June 2006, 20:50: Message edited by: cafb ]

So moving his hobby car can't be considered in the DITY weight? I find that strange.

I moved my boat with trailer and motorcycle and was paid for moving those.

What if this happened to be a race car that wasn't street legal? Just curious. I thought personal property was whatever you owned and you can move up to 12,000 lbs. Now they did mention that the vehicle used for the Dity can't be considered in the weight but I figured you can move a second vehicle just like moving a boat or bike.

Oh and when I said 'since TMO doesn't know' what I meant to say is since they couldn't answer Chickens question not try to trick them or anything.

Guest kubtastic

https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/trvlregs.html

B. Reimbursement for the Use of more than Two POCs

1. General. Reimbursement for the use of more than two POCs, within the same household for PCS travel, may be authorized/approved if determined to be appropriate, through the Secretarial Process. Documentation of this authorization/approval should be made IAW Service procedures.

1. HHG also include:

a. PBP&E needed and not needed for the performance of official duties at the next or a later destination (PBP&E that are needed are not calculated in the member’s weight allowance and therefore must be

weighed separately and identified on the inventory at origin as PBP&E.);

b. Spare POV parts (see the definition in this Appendix) and a pickup tailgate when removed;

c. Integral or attached vehicle parts that must be removed due to their high vulnerability to pilferage or damage (e.g., seats, tops, winch, spare tires, portable auxiliary gasoline can(s), and miscellaneous

associated hardware);

d. Consumable goods for members ordered to locations listed in Appendix F;

e. Vehicles other than POVs (such as motorcycles, mopeds, hang gliders, golf carts, jet skis and snowmobiles (and/or their associated trailers));

f. Boats (and/or their associated trailers); and

g. Ultralight vehicles (defined in 14 CFR §103 as being single occupant; for recreation or sport purposes; weighing less than 155 pounds if un-powered or less than 254 pounds if powered; having a fuel capacity NTE 5 gallons; airspeed NTE 55 knots; and power-off stall speed NTE 24 knots).

*h. Utility trailers, with or without tilt beds, with a single axle, and an overall length of no more than 12 feet (from rear to trailer hitch), and no wider than 8 feet (outside tire to outside tire). Side rails/body no higher than 28 inches (unless detachable) and ramp/gate for the utility trailer no higher than 4 feet (unless detachable).

2. HHG do not include:

a. Personal baggage when carried free on commercial transportation;

b. Automobiles, trucks, vans and similar motor vehicles; airplanes; mobile homes; camper trailers; horse trailers; and farming vehicles (see Chapter 5, Part E for POV shipment);

c. Live animals including birds, fish and reptiles;

d. Articles that otherwise would qualify as HHG but are acquired after the effective date of the PCS order, except:

(1) Bona fide replacements for articles that have become inadequate, worn out, broken, or unserviceable on/after the effective date of orders, but before the date the bulk of the HHG are released to the transportation officer or carrier for transportation when purchased in the United States for transportation, to an OCONUS PDS with authorization/approval through the Secretarial Process (43 Comp. Gen. 514 (1964)); or

(2) Replacement HHG items, in cases in which the original HHG shipment is destroyed or lost, through no fault of the member, during transportation incident to a change of TDY station or PDS (68 Comp. Gen. 143 (1988));

e. Cordwood and building materials (B-133751, 1 November 1957 and B-180439, 13 September 1974);

f. HHG for resale, disposal or commercial use;

g. Privately owned live ammunition (B-130583, 8 May 1957);

h. Hazardous articles including explosives, flammable and corrosive materials, poisons; propane gas tanks. See DoD 4500.9-R, DTR, Part IV, for examples of hazardous materials.

http://search.e-publishing.af.mil/pubs_cat...hltdD841798.pdf

12.1. Items the Air Force does not authorize for movement as HHG at Government expense or by Government arrangement are listed in JFTR, Appendix A.

12.1.1. Members who include unauthorized items in the weight of their DITY move may forfeit their DITY entitlements.

12.1.2. If members choose to move unauthorized items with their DITY shipment, they may do so only after establishing the net weight of the shipment.

THUS:

A Car isn't HHG.

A Car's trailer isn't HHG (dual 3,500 lb axles standard here).

Boats and motorcycles you move yourself with government compensation. (shared expense)

You have to apply to get compensation for multiple conveyance (>2 POC).

I don't know why there' * in front of h. on trailers. (and there's a limit to how large a boat qualifies but it was only mentioned in OCONUS PCS. 14') Oh, and I find it strange that someone would be paid over $3,000 to DITY move a vehicle. You're reasoning should begin at what the purpose of the program is: an incentive to reduce the moving costs. It doesn't cost $3,000 to move a car cross-country unless you're using some insane specialty mover.

• 3 months later...

I have done the search and still have a few questions about being in the guard and PCSing to UPT. While at UPT do you continue to work with your units finance department, or do you work with your UPT bases finance dept.? I have done some research on DITY moves and plan on doing that to go to school. Do all the same rules apply for guard as they do fro AD? I keep hearing people at my base say, “well, it is a PCS but it is greater than 180 days, but is treated like a TDY because you are a guard guy”. WTF does that mean? Any info or tips on getting prepared for the move is greatly appreciated. I know you can make some good cash on DITY moves. Thanks.

Guest bgpilot99

Don't let them screw you over man, you absoluely ARE entitled to DITY pay and all the PCS money that our AD friends are. As you said, you will continue dealing with your home unit to get paid out for all of this stuff though. It is kind of a pain in the ass, so try to knock it out before your class actually starts. Good luck man, and always research your finance questions, because your finance office won't do it for you!

While at UPT your Guard Unit is paying you, so you work with them through the Finance Office of your UPT Base. I believe my orders say "PCS with TDY Entitlements". Here's a good site for various PCS entitlements http://usmilitary.about.com/od/travelpay/a...ntitlements.htm.

I'm currently working on getting pay for DLA and DITY, I'll let you know how it works out. My advice is to get to your base reasonably early so that you can get this squared away without gettin too "wrapped around the axle".

Guest downinthegroove

I am leaving tomorrow morning for Columbus doing a partial DITY and am ANG. I worked through McChords TMO and set everything up that way. It's a easy process, they tell you your expected pay and all that jazz. My advice is go to a big base, ANG doesn't usually have to resources or handle these moves. It's been painless though.

Guest phil413

I just moved about 6 months ago (one week left until phase III). It is considered a PCS. You will be payed by your home unit. A DITY move is the way to go. I bought a big trailer (if you own it, you can include the weight) and moved everything myself. For a couple days of work, I made several thousand dollars. Pretty good deal, if you're willing to move your own furniture. Ask any questions you have.

• 3 months later...

Should I receive DLA as a single guard guy with no dependents that PCS'd to UPT then PCS'd home afterwards? If it matters I lived in the duplexs at DLF. I read the DLA facts that is linked from the baseops homepage and I couldn't determine if I was eligible or not. Finance back home is giving me the runaround as well by saying they aren't sure if I should receive it either.

[ 05. February 2007, 11:14: Message edited by: pcgoeken ]