Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

BLUF: JTR applies to civilian employees...the JFTR applies to uniformed members

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

They were consolidated. JTR now applies to us.

BLUF: New change to the JTR substantially reduces TDY pay.

Check it out.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/browse/Travel_Regulations/Regulations_Changes/Immediate/UTDCTD118-13®.pdf

New "flat rate" pay at 75% of locality if TDY 30-180 days, only 55% if over 180. Fortunately it doesn't go into effect until 1 Nov, but this seriously blows.

So how does this work? Do you get paid less overall if your TDY is 181 days than if it is 179 days? Or is it like tax brackets where only days 181-infinity are reimbursed at 55%?

Edited by sky_king

New link:
http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/news.cfm?ID=30

The percentage is based on the # of days on your original orders. However, if they are amended to extend you to 31 or 181+, you'll only have the reduced percentage from the date of amendment.

"If a travel order/authorization is later amended and the TDY will end 31 (or 181) days or more from the amendment date, the reduced flat-rate per diem applies beginning the day after the amendment is issued."

I suggest that everyone utilize this clause:

"c. If a traveler is unable to arrange suitable commercial lodging on their own, the CTO should be contacted for assistance. If the CTO determines that lodging is not available at the reduced per diem rate, the AO may authorize actual lodging, not to exceed the locality per diem rate, in accordance with par. 4130 and 4155, but the M&IE is paid at the 75% or 55% rate. "

At least this way if you're forced to get shitty accommodations at the reduced rate you can force the CTO to do all the legwork. Maybe if they're overloaded they'll liberally approve actual lodging. In any case, I imagine the upscale hotels won't offer the 55% or even 75% rates, forcing us to stay in shitholes.

Thanks for yet another cut to military compensation in an era when everything else is a sacred cow!

At least they are going to a flat rate and stopping the insane requirement for receipts. My last travel voucher was no kidding 50+ pages long because I needed to include 4 months receipts for apartment, rental furniture, cable, electric, water, and leases for both the apartment and the furniture. Think how much man power we can save by just cutting this retarded red tape out.

Does this apply if you refuse on-base lodging and stay off base but do not have a non-a? Also if a commander authorizes proportional rate MI&E instead of the on base rate is this hit as well?

This wasn't explained in the policy change memo.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting ready to call it a day after many, many++ years of service. Wanting to stay overseas (long story) and had been previously been told by Transportation that I could do a local move within 50 miles of my current gov't occupied quarters paid for by the gov't. Also, said move would not count as my retirement move to location of choice and then within 5 years, walk in as a retiree and ask to use my retirement orders for the final move to CONUS paid for again by the gov't. Went to Transportation last week and now they nor I can find it in the new JTR that says I am authorized such a thing. Anyone else run into such an issue or know where this was in the past JFTR? Wife is getting nervous. If we have to, we will do the local move ourselves and save the orders for the $$$$ move to CONUS in 5 years.

• 6 months later...

Hey quick question that may have been answered... I'm PCS'ing soon, and would like to take permissive TDY at my new duty location for house hunting. I'm trying to live on base, but the wait list is long, so I want to have options open. Do I request PTDY from my losing unit? Which office handles the paperwork?

Hey quick question that may have been answered... I'm PCS'ing soon, and would like to take permissive TDY at my new duty location for house hunting. I'm trying to live on base, but the wait list is long, so I want to have options open. Do I request PTDY from my losing unit? Which office handles the paperwork?

When are you taking the PTDY?

Google is your friend...literally took me less than a minute to find. Page 48 of the AFI (page 64 in the PDF). Good luck!

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-3003/afi36-3003.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any updated gouge on car shipping? The last mention of it came from a reply in 2005...

Looking to ship a non-running project race car from Little Rock to Kirtland. Any info would be appreciated.

Anyone have any updated gouge on car shipping? The last mention of it came from a reply in 2005...

Looking to ship a non-running project race car from Little Rock to Kirtland. Any info would be appreciated.

Doubt you can do it on gov't dime....

I inquired with TMO in conjunction with my PCS about moving a non-running project race car. My intention was to tow it on a trailer with my truck and get paid for the weight...

TMO answer, they will ship car parts, not cars. So basically if you stripped it down to the shell they will pay for everything but the chassis. <My personal interpretation of the JTR.

TL;DR

No, unless you strip it to individual parts, IE bare chassis.

I went through this recently. If it's registered its a car and if it can't be legally driven then it is car parts. Mine was a kit but already registered and street legalish. It wouldn't be moved on their dime. Ended up not being a factor; I was right at my weight limit anyway.

I went through this recently. If it's registered its a car and if it can't be legally driven then it is car parts. Mine was a kit but already registered and street legalish. It wouldn't be moved on their dime. Ended up not being a factor; I was right at my weight limit anyway.

The car is registered, insured and intact, just not running (didn't keep up with the maintenance during PIQ like I should've...).

And not sure if it makes a difference, but I've been on TDY orders since the beginning of PIQ, and will remain on said TDY orders thru MPIQ at KABQ. I know that the gov't won't pay for any part of the move, so I was more or less wondering if anyone had any recent success with shipping an inoperative vehicle.

My bro used Uship recently twice for a kit car and a Unimog. He had no complaints.

I've heard some horror stories with auto shipping companies so be careful. Most bad experiences stem from damage to cars or no idea where your car is and when it will arrive. I move mine with a flatbed trailer. I think it's easier to just do it yourself if you have the right hardware. If not get it - part of being a car guy.

I currently have a Palace Chase application in the works and my ADSC expires in 7 months. I have been hired by a unit that is located at my current duty station. I need to move out of the house I am renting and into the house that I bought before any of this will be finalized. Is there anyway I can get he AF to pay for my move instead of having to do it on my own dime? They will only give separation orders 30-45 days out and without orders TMO won't do anything. I considered trying a full DITY and claiming it after the fact but if the weight ticket dates are before the orders it won't be reimbursed. I have asked about using my "Home of Record" move but again TMO says that is only supposed to be used for getting into the AF not out of the AF. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I currently have a Palace Chase application in the works and my ADSC expires in 7 months. I have been hired by a unit that is located at my current duty station. I need to move out of the house I am renting and into the house that I bought before any of this will be finalized. Is there anyway I can get he AF to pay for my move instead of having to do it on my own dime? They will only give separation orders 30-45 days out and without orders TMO won't do anything. I considered trying a full DITY and claiming it after the fact but if the weight ticket dates are before the orders it won't be reimbursed. I have asked about using my "Home of Record" move but again TMO says that is only supposed to be used for getting into the AF not out of the AF. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I thought you could use your HOR move at any time, but only once. (But I've been wrong before). Try finding it in the JTR and see what it actually says.

My bro used Uship recently twice for a kit car and a Unimog. He had no complaints.

I've heard some horror stories with auto shipping companies so be careful. Most bad experiences stem from damage to cars or no idea where your car is and when it will arrive. I move mine with a flatbed trailer. I think it's easier to just do it yourself if you have the right hardware. If not get it - part of being a car guy.

Just signed up with UShip and I already have a reasonable bid <12hrs after creating the shipment request. Legit!

In the interest of saving cash, I might just rent a car carrier from Penske (I'm already renting a 22' moving truck with them) and winch it up there. You're exactly right, though; I need a trailer/car carrier of my own for the M3.

• 3 weeks later...