Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

You can do as many trips as you like for your PPM. Weight is the only thing you get reimbursed for in the PPM--your mileage & per diem (MALT) are part of your PCS reimbursement, not the PPM. Be sure to get weight tickets for each trip (a single "empty" ticket will suffice for multiple trips, assuming the same vehicle is used). Your extra expenses re making multiple trips effectively become a tax deduction by reducing taxable amount of your PPM payment.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about TLE...

Are you required to get a Non-A to be reimbursed up to the Max Lodging rate? The JFTR says that:

4. Should use adequate and available GOV’T QTRS on the U.S. INSTALLATION from which departing and/
or to which ordered. This applies to all TLE while in the vicinity of the old PDS before actual departure and
while in the vicinity of the new PDS after actual arrival. There is no requirement to use GOV’T QTRS in the
vicinity of a designated place (see APP A).

• 4 weeks later...

This is our first PPM. Husband deployed prior to this pcs so the kids and I moved back home because we planned on him going to ACSC alone. We got all of the empty/full weight tickets from certified scales but they are dated prior to actual orders. Can we still claim those or not?

I was just looking at this today. Everything on DFAS and everywhere else I could find said you DO need a non-A. I'm debating whether to press to test in a few weeks!

Is this in reference to the TLE question or something else? The TDY travel rules and the PCS rules are slightly different.

Edited.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Edited by Herk Driver

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how long I have to move my HHG? I am on the VML and my wife is in graduate school until the end of the calendar year. I am expecting a move early fall with her to follow after Christmas once she graduates. I can carry all I need in my truck and want to leave the bulk of my HHG behind so she can still live in our house.

Is this possible or do you have to have them ship your HHG when the member moves? I would ask TMO but I am not confident in their ability to do anything except read what they have on their checklist.

This is our first PPM. ...We got all of the empty/full weight tickets from certified scales but they are dated prior to actual orders. Can we still claim those or not?

Does anyone know how long I have to move my HHG?

Is this possible or do you have to have them ship your HHG when the member moves?

This answers both your questions (I think)... you have 30 days on either end of the move date on your orders to do any kind of PPM claims. You can break it up into multiple shipments/etc, you can move some before, some during, and some after, as long as it's not prior to 30 days and not after 30 days. Please double check my numbers but I am fairly certain that's the right timeline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This answers both your questions (I think)... you have 30 days on either end of the move date on your orders to do any kind of PPM claims. You can break it up into multiple shipments/etc, you can move some before, some during, and some after, as long as it's not prior to 30 days and not after 30 days. Please double check my numbers but I am fairly certain that's the right timeline

Not sure where you're getting that information, I haven't seen any 30 day limits for anything. I talked to several different TMO's about a similar situation, as well as combed the regs. Bottom line is that you should be able to do HHG and PPM any time the orders are effective, and you can do multiples as long as you don't go over your weight limit. In my case, I just PCS'd, with most of our stuff in HHG and a small PPM. My wife is coming in about 6 months. I can do another HHG or PPM for her when the time comes. They prefer you only do one PPM claim, but because it's so long they said I could do two.

The catch with doing two HHG shipments is it's not really just the weight. What they said was that they calculate how much it would cost to ship everything at once, and that is the limit of what they'll pay. I haven't been able to run any solid numbers, but I think in most cases this will result in some out of pocket costs...whether it's cheaper/easier than a PPM depends on the exact circumstance.

Obviously I haven't actually executed part two of the plan yet, and I'm only operating on what I've been "told", so who knows what'll happen when the time comes!

In your situation, my guess is that the best option would be to do just a PPM for yourself now, then a single HHG and possibly a second PPM when she moves.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're having trouble accessing Move.mil at your house, it's probably your DNS server. I had been using Google's DNS servers and couldn't figure out why I couldn't access the site. I switched to my ISP's and it works fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting ready to pcs to a new base with a TDY en-route. Does anyone know if I will still get BAH as a single guy while I'm at my TDY? Finance at LRAFB is saying yes Kirtland Finance is saying no and i am getting mixed answers from everyone else? Would anyone happen to know the reg that this is in or have any experience with this?

I am getting ready to pcs to a new base with a TDY en-route. Does anyone know if I will still get BAH as a single guy while I'm at my TDY? Finance at LRAFB is saying yes Kirtland Finance is saying no and i am getting mixed answers from everyone else? Would anyone happen to know the reg that this is in or have any experience with this?

It depends. While at Kirtland, where are you living? Dorms or billeting? If you are assigned to the dorms/ gov't quarters from what I can tell you will not get BAH. Billeting is not considered gov't qtrs, so if in billeting you should get BAH. Check out the JFTR, it can answer all your questions. Search Chapter 10.

Edited to add: See U10416 specifically.

I think you will receive BAH-T while enroute if leaving an OCONUS base and BAH if leaving a CONUS base. Maybe Finance Guy will chime in.

Edited by Herk Driver

So happy to be getting out. In the middle of my separation move right now and they put my stuff on two trucks. First truck delivered last week and second truck coming 8 days after guaranteed delivery date....they basically told me tough sh*t since I got half of my stuff already.

Anyone know if I can use a Manufacturers Certificate/Statement of Origin as proof of ownership rather than Title or Registration when shipping a POV OCONUS? The TRANSCOM pamphlet says "Proof of Ownership (Title or Registration)" is required but I don't know if that is supposed to be an all inclusive list or just the dumbed down 90% solution. I'm trying to do my best Apple/GE/Romney impersonation and there are clear tax benefits to not doing the Title and Registration for a new vehicle in my current state.

You probably need to visit your local courthouse. Fill out the appropriate affidavit with the VIN, get a judge's signature. Use that + cert of origin to register/title wherever.

But, you will pay tax when you register it: either here or there or when you bring it back here (or maybe all three!)

When I have a choice, I pay tax to my state over the Feds or foreign govt.

Not to get too far OT, but you can register the car in a different state right when you buy it (or anytime thereafter). I've done it with several vehicles; all you have to do is tell the dealership you want to register it in state X. Or if you've already bought the car call the DMV in the county you want to register it and tell them you want to register a new car. No courthouse, etc. Registration problem solved and probably better than moving an unregistered car for all reasons mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hispeed7721

New state doesn't do any paperwork by mail, I have to be there first. I've got a transit permit to get out of the current state thanks to my orders.

Thanks for the tips. Guess I'll just give it a shot, worst case they don't accept the vehicle for shipment and I do a quickie title here.

Is one authorized BAH and TLA at the same time? Moving to Hickam and know I'll get 60 days of TLA, but want to know if i'll get BAH as well. That deposit and first month's rent in Hawaii is pretty expensive. I searched but couldn't find anything specific. Thanks for the help.

Anyone know if I can use a Manufacturers Certificate/Statement of Origin as proof of ownership rather than Title or Registration when shipping a POV OCONUS? The TRANSCOM pamphlet says "Proof of Ownership (Title or Registration)" is required but I don't know if that is supposed to be an all inclusive list or just the dumbed down 90% solution. I'm trying to do my best Apple/GE/Romney impersonation and there are clear tax benefits to not doing the Title and Registration for a new vehicle in my current state.

I've done exactly this. I bought a used car the day before I shipped it. I wasn't a resident or on PCS orders where I bought it (Arkansas), so they wouldn't title it for me. I drove it to Dallas to ship it to Europe. They accepted the previous owner's title from Arkansas that had been signed over to me. I was allowed to title it in Spain, but the process was about a month longer than if I had a new title.

2.5 years later I shipped it back to the USA, again without a title other than the one that had been signed over to me. When I tried to title and register it in Mississippi, they realized that the car had never been titled in my name, and made me pay sales tax. However, MS sales tax is not based on the sale price, it's basically based on the KBB value. So, in the end, I deferred paying sales tax for 2.5 years and paid about $500 less in tax because the car had gone down in value.

If I had sold it to another American in Spain, I would have gone through the entire process without paying sales tax.