Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Correct. Your best bet, if it is a long TDY enroute, is to take the $39/night and go find a furnished apartment that allows pets. I did that for a 4 month TDY enroute and saved about $1K versus staying in the pet-friendly TLF where you pay an extra $10 per night out of pocket.

Correct. Your best bet, if it is a long TDY enroute, is to take the $39/night and go find a furnished apartment that allows pets. I did that for a 4 month TDY enroute and saved about $1K versus staying in the pet-friendly TLF where you pay an extra $10 per night out of pocket.

I'm heading to Altus and one of the apts. there has $600 pet fee for the duration of my stay (17 PIQ), is there a way to get that incorporated into my rent in such a way that my $39/night will cover it or do I just show finance the bill and they pay it. Not sure how finance reimburses this stuff, so any insight is appreciated.

I'm heading to Altus and one of the apts. there has $600 pet fee for the duration of my stay (17 PIQ), is there a way to get that incorporated into my rent in such a way that my $39/night will cover it or do I just show finance the bill and they pay it. Not sure how finance reimburses this stuff, so any insight is appreciated.

I believe you will be getting $53.25 a night.

Yeah forgot about that increase, still any tips on living off base with out a non-A?

Read the JFTR.

A lot of 'living off base' expenses are covered, to include a lot of things you wouldn't naturally think to claim.

You have almost $1600 a month to work with.

Anybody have any experiences with TMO regarding their final PCS? Do they really hold to their no further than one's home of record clause?

They will take your stuff farther but you have to pay the difference. I went to JPPSO and they were able to check in a matter of minutes what the cost would be moving my stuff to a different location vs my home of record.

On a related note, is it possible to do a Partial DITY move for your final PCS? If anybody has done it, how much of a hassle would it be to actually get paid? I did a Partial DITY on my last move and it went pretty easily but after separating I feel like it would be more difficult to file a voucher and claim the reimbursement. Since I'm traveling farther than my HOR it would be nice to offset that cost somewhat with a partial DITY.

I've thought about it. Never done a full DITY, would TMO pay you up front or after the move? I'm going back to graduate school when I move so I won't have the cash to front the moving expenses and then be reimbursed by Big Blue when he gets around to it. I would imagine since I'm separating I'll be low on the totem pole when it comes to payment/processing.

I've thought about it. Never done a full DITY, would TMO pay you up front or after the move?

You can request an advance payment prior to PCS from finance. There's some fairly easy paperwork you need to fill out - talk to finance.

Yeah I got that and have been, just looking for any tips or gotchas to make avoid from guys that have done it.

Remember the stuff Hoss was talking about in the JFTR is only up to the cost of staying on base. If there's space, there's no reason the AF should pay you more than it would cost them for you to stay on base. However, I did better than breaking even. We would have paid ~$1200 out of pocket for the pet friendly TLF and only ended up paying about $200. As far as documentation for the AF, you should keep all your receipts because if you can only prove $20 of averaged expenses per day, that's how much you'll get. As Hoss alluded to, all your utilities and necessary expenses get added in to that.

One gotcha is to make sure you give your 30+ days notice in writing; might even be a good idea to get a signed copy back saying they received it when you turn it in. I walked into the apartment office one day, told them I was leaving in about 45 days and asked if they wanted any documentation from me to stop the auto-lease renewal clause; they said no. When I went in to schedule my final out appointment, they flipped out and were talking about billing me for another month. Ended up working out, but technically I did not provide a written notification IAW the lease (and had no proof that they said to not worry about it), so they would have had a good case.

Why not a full DITY? Take the money and hire movers to move your stuff wherever you want. Bet you can get a better rate than the govt to offset the longer distance.

Does anybody know of a decent DITY move calculator? Every link I can find via google for either DITY calculator or PPM calculator seems to take me to a dead link. I talked to JPPSO today and our people are idiots so I would like to have an idea on my own of what my payment would be, etc.

That should be easy for TMO to look up over the phone.

Realize it should include the cost of the line haul, pack, unpack, and a 10% weight allowance for packing materials (or actual weight if you reweigh the 'trash'). I'm guessing it would include cost of the packing materials (boxes, tape, blankets, etc) since I know the govt pays that on a regular move (and the boxes ain't cheap), but I can't back that part up with paperwork.

TMO should be able to answer all these questions for you with actual dollar amounts so make an appointment. Once they give you the

Numbers, reference the jftr. Trust but verify!

Edited by HossHarris

The person I talked to at TMO wasn't even sure I was allowed to do a DITY move for my final separation move so I'm hesitant to trust what they tell me. That's why I was hoping to run some numbers myself before my scheduled appointment.

Don't ask open ended questions then. Ask ' what is the total GCC to move xx,xxx pounds from a to b?'

The person I talked to at TMO wasn't even sure I was allowed to do a DITY move for my final separation move so I'm hesitant to trust what they tell me. That's why I was hoping to run some numbers myself before my scheduled appointment.

I just did a full DITY/separation move in August......

Question about PCSing with a boat...

Obviously doing a partial DITY and getting the weight of the boat and trailer. I was TDY enroute for 30 days and was forced to put my boat in to outdoor rec storage on base, can I claim this cost to offset my tax liability for the DITY? More importantly, I know moving supplies (totes, boxes, tape, etc) can be claimed against DITY tax liability, how about having my boat shrink-wrapped for the cross-country move? The way I see it is necessary material to protect my personal property (and set me back $400). For me I think it an easy sell but can only imagine the response I will get from Airman Snuffy at TMO. Anyone do this/heard of something like this before? Thanks!

forced to put my boat in to outdoor rec storage on base

how about having my boat shrink-wrapped for the cross-country move?

Two different questions:

- The storage will* be reimbursed in addition to the DITY payment, subject to the ever-present limitations of (a) what it would have cost the government and (b) time limits (90 days?); the question of the "taxable portion" doesn't come up, since you're not spending money on moving expenses out of your DITY payment, you're spending money from another part of the entitlement.

- The shrink wrapping will* come off the taxable portion of the DITY payment. Frankly, I don't think they look at this part too closely, since it doesn't change the size of the check they write you (but of course is valuable to you come tax time).

*based on my experience doing similar (but not identical) things on DITY moves & my understanding of the regs; as you note, YMMV w/ whoever is behind the desk at JPPSO when you turn in your claim. If they deny it, make them cite the paragraph they're using, then look it up yourself--I've fought & won claims with them....

EDIT: Format

Edited by Jughead

Found this little gem on AF Portal today:

PERSONALLY-PROCURED MOVE (PPM) MISCALCULATION

Published: Aug 23, 2012 14:08:00 CDT

A recent update to the Defense Personal Property System (DPS) caused some PPM records to be incorrectly calculated. The Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) reports the problem has been fixed. Still, approximately 1,700 Air Force PPM records will need to be re-processed. Local Personal Property Offices are reviewing the list of shipments and determining which are impacted. Affected customers will be contacted directly if there are any changes or adjustments required.