Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Just a quick reminder that the TMO lady doesn't work for Finance and isn't the one that approves your Voucher payment. So who cares what she says. I've had similar issues with folks at SATO during an overseas PCS. They can say whatever they want, but all that matters is what's on your orders and what Finance agrees to pay you.

• 1 month later...

Update on my DITY move...

Had my HHG pickup back on Aug 28th then promptly went TDY. As far as I know, I didn't even come close to my authorized weights so I should be getting paid for the DITY. Eventually the weights were reported to TMO and they in turn sent my paperwork to finance. I called both TMO and finance to track down the status of the paperwork and was told I should be getting a direct deposit either at the end of this week or beginning of next week. Today a direct deposit of $345 showed as pending in my account. Now this is interesting as my DD FORM 2278 shows my 'estimated gross incentive" as $668. This is 95% of the 'estimated constructive costs' which were $703.

I caught this $300+ discrepancy after my home station finance closed today, so I can't get any answers till Monday at the earliest. I understand that it's only an 'estimated gross incentive' but a discrepancy of roughly 50% is kinda nuts. The only thing I can think of is that they are splitting the payment into two...but even that's strange to me.

Any ideas?

Update on my DITY move...

Had my HHG pickup back on Aug 28th then promptly went TDY. As far as I know, I didn't even come close to my authorized weights so I should be getting paid for the DITY. Eventually the weights were reported to TMO and they in turn sent my paperwork to finance. I called both TMO and finance to track down the status of the paperwork and was told I should be getting a direct deposit either at the end of this week or beginning of next week. Today a direct deposit of $345 showed as pending in my account. Now this is interesting as my DD FORM 2278 shows my 'estimated gross incentive" as $668. This is 95% of the 'estimated constructive costs' which were $703.

I caught this $300+ discrepancy after my home station finance closed today, so I can't get any answers till Monday at the earliest. I understand that it's only an 'estimated gross incentive' but a discrepancy of roughly 50% is kinda nuts. The only thing I can think of is that they are splitting the payment into two...but even that's strange to me.

Any ideas?

What was the actual weight you moved versus the estimate you gave them? That has a huge effect.

Several things could be at play here:

1) There are break points above which you get paid less $/100 pounds. You may have gone above a point where the estimate was not accurate.

2) Your numbers above (e.g. $668 * 28% = $187.04) do not reflect the 28% tax rate they will take out of your DITY payment. So, if you carried exactly what you estimated (meaning their calculation should be accurate), you would have only gotten $480.96.

Edited by Herk Driver

• 3 weeks later...

It looks a like a good friend of mine is going to get screwed over on her move.

Basically our ROTC det stops doing ANYTHING the day after we graduate. She has already entered active duty, is currently TDY enroute at ASBC on her way to Minot.

She hasn't talked to TMO or anything about moving. All of her stuff is in storage in Illinois. Is it too late for her to call up TMO to get a partial dity rolling? She has a bunch of furniture and highly doubts she could pull off a full dity...She will have about a two day lay over between finishing up ASBC and starting her track to Minot (she graduates ASBC in about 5 weeks).

Is she going to get hosed?

Basically our ROTC det stops doing ANYTHING the day after we graduate. She has already entered active duty, is currently TDY enroute at ASBC on her way to Minot.

She hasn't talked to TMO or anything about moving. All of her stuff is in storage in Illinois. Is it too late for her to call up TMO to get a partial dity rolling? She has a bunch of furniture and highly doubts she could pull off a full dity...She will have about a two day lay over between finishing up ASBC and starting her track to Minot (she graduates ASBC in about 5 weeks).

Is she going to get hosed?

She shouldn't...i'm at a tech school with mostly TDY enroute dudes and half of them just started the partial DITY process a week or two ago, and we graduate Nov 4. That said, it's TMO so anything's possible. I'm not sure of any particulars, but all the folks that are doing it here (Keesler) aren't having too much of a problem that i'm aware of.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest csuseanb

This might not be the right location for this post but I'll give it a shot anyway. I am PCS'ing to McChord with a RNLTD of 20 Dec. I talked with the dudes up at McChord and they are saying I will count against their 10% of people allowed to be on leave at any one time even though I am not mission ready. I will be driving through Colorado (home) so it would be nice to spend X-Mas there and drive up the following day. So, I was wondering if you can report after your RNLTD and simply be charged leave when you in-process. I know it seems like a stupid question because it is a report no later than date but the finance/MPF rules/regs never cease to amaze me. Thanks in advance for the help.

You can do that, but you need gaining CC approval. I've done that before as well. No paperwork required, the leave gets taken when you file your voucher. But I did have to get approval from my new SQ/CC before I showed up late.

When you signed your RIP you should have put down if you were taking leave en-route. If you change your mind later, see if your local MPF can change it for you. But do NOT just show up after your RNLTD unless your new SQ says it's ok.

I will count against their 10% of people allowed to be on leave at any one time even though I am not mission ready.

Schokie's advice ref getting your gaining CC's approval is spot on. Also, you won't "count against" anything until you sign in--so, if that's the only reason you think leave would be denied, then it should be a non-issue for you to take the leave enroute to your PCS. Unless there's more to the story, I can't imagine you'd get denied--no one's going to be around to in-process you until after the New Year, anyway....

I was in a similar boat as your friend. I went TDY direct from college to ASBC enroute to Vance. I couldn't do anything with TMO prior to it b/c my Det didn't do shit once we commissioned as well. They said, "don't worry, that'll all get handled at Maxwell." Yeah bullshit. I did a partial DITY...or at least planned that. The TMO at Maxwell fucked up the paperwork and when I get to Vance they refused to pay me. They said since I didn't file the paperwork prior to actually moving I wouldn't get paid a cent for the DITY portion. After arguing with the fat, unhelpful bitch for 30 min I finally left and called the TMO nearest my HOR. The lady on the phone was very nice and told me what paperwork to fill out, then I had to fax it back to that TMO. Once she was done on her end, she faxed me back whatever I needed and I took that paper into the Vance TMO. The same lady was working and was just so pissed that I actually got it taken care of to get paid...almost like she took personal satisfaction in trying to fuck me over and now that I had beat her she was livid. Well, I got paid and it was all thanks to the good TMO chick at the HOR base.

Lesson learned: Your friend will not get screwed out of what she deserves, however I would be prepared for some TMO clown to tell her the same bullshit I was told. Between Maxwell, Minot and the nearest base TMO to her HOR, she should hopefully find one person who's helpful and know wtf is up.

Remember that if there are any problems with the customer service by TMO, they fall under the LRS/CC. For those who are getting ready for active duty, contact TMO at the base nearest you, or at the base you are going to. As stated before Maxwell sucks at any and everything dealing with new acquisitions. I came from Hickam and had a pretty good expirence, even if ROTC f*cked my orders up.

• 1 month later...

Effective 1 January 2010 the PCS MALT rate will change from $.24 per mile to $.165 per mile. This change is announced based on the Federal Travel Regulation §302-4.300 (41 CFR 302-4.300), indicating that the PCS MALT rate is identical to the published IRS rate.

RE: MAP Item 132-09(I) PDF LINK

• 4 weeks later...
Guest goducks

Has anyone had experience shipping garden tools from the UK back to the US? Given the somewhat recent hoof and mouth disease problem over here I've been warned that this may be difficult if the items are not spotless. All of the items were previously shipped from the US and have not been used outside of my backyard (and some have not even been taken out of my garage). It seems silly to have to make them look new again at this point.

I've heard numerous problems shipping cars; ie. having them rejected for shipping due to dirt/debris, but nothing about household goods.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Guest thawkpa38

A few quick questions about HHG and moving to UPT. Forgive me if this topic has been discussed but I could not find an answer to my situation in this thread.

Single guard guy moving to UPT in the spring. I have a decent sized apartment with a good amount of stuff that I do not want to sell. Will storage be paid for during UPT if I move all of it down with me and stay in the dorms? Any advice on this or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Single guard guy moving to UPT in the spring. I have a decent sized apartment with a good amount of stuff that I do not want to sell. Will storage be paid for during UPT if I move all of it down with me and stay in the dorms? Any advice on this or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The dorms are furnished, so your options would be to move in your own stuff and have them stash their furnishings, or they should store your stuff. Call your UPT housing office to double check.

PCS'ng to the 41st RQS at Moody from Lakenheath

Want to get the boy home to hang out with grandparents while the wife and I house hunt and what not. Have been told three different things now today on available options.

Bottom line question is will the govt reimburse me what it would have cost them to get my wife and kid to next duty station and I pay the differnce for their requested travel?

The three options presented to me was

1. Direct travel to next duty station (Moody)

2. Travel to port where car is shipped (Atlanta)

3. Travel to port of entry for duty station (Moody according to TMO lady)

PCS'ng to the 41st RQS at Moody from Lakenheath

Want to get the boy home to hang out with grandparents while the wife and I house hunt and what not. Have been told three different things now today on available options.

Bottom line question is will the govt reimburse me what it would have cost them to get my wife and kid to next duty station and I pay the differnce for their requested travel?

The three options presented to me was

1. Direct travel to next duty station (Moody)

2. Travel to port where car is shipped (Atlanta)

3. Travel to port of entry for duty station (Moody according to TMO lady)

For a PCS typically No. The only thing that I can think of doing is to ask for circuitous travel. Normally that is used to travel Europe and then leave from somewhere other than the APOE that they want you to use. They reimburse up to the amount the Gov't would have spent, but you get to personally procure trans. If you can get that approved, then you can travel where you want and they will reimburse up to what they would have paid. Circuitous travel takes additional paperwork and a little time to get approved. If you have time, it may be worth a shot. Asking the question and then asking TMO the question couldn't hurt. Make sure TMO quotes you the price that you will have to pay (i.e. I don't think they will book uing the Gov't rate, rather a normal fare).

• 1 month later...

I have a question regarding final out processing. If I final out on a Friday, but I don't leave until the next Monday(because that is when my house hold goods are being picked up) will I be charged travel days for that weekend since I haven't left my duty station even though I have completed my final out processing? I am planning on using this time table regardless, but I just wanna know if I am going to be charged a couple days of leave before I do it.

Edited by Magellan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have a question regarding final out processing. If I final out on a Friday, but I don't leave until the next Monday(because that is when my house hold goods are being picked up) will I be charged travel days for that weekend since I haven't left my duty station even though I have completed my final out processing? I am planning on using this time table regardless, but I just wanna know if I am going to be charged a couple days of leave before I do it.

In all my years in finance it's been understood if you outprocess on a Friday, and don't leave the PDS until Monday, you put Monday as your departure. If you leave before Monday, then game on, those days could be charged as leave. On the other end, if you arrive on Friday (check in at Billeting), and don't start work till Mon, you are not charged leave for the W-End since Friday is your official arrival date. References.

AFI36-2102 for departing:

1.7. Final Out-Processing Actions.

1.7.1. Final Out-Processing Date. Brief members they are not authorized to out-process earlier than

1 duty day (2 duty days in the overseas area) prior to their actual departure date or date official leave

and travel begins. EXAMPLE: Do not charge leave for the weekend for individuals who out-process

on Friday and certify they will not depart the local area until the following Monday. However, if

members depart prior to Monday, their leave or travel will start the actual time and date they physically

depart.

AFI 65-114, Chapter 5 on Arriving:

5.8. Leave.

5.8.1. Dates on Travel Vouchers. Use departure and arrival dates as shown on member's travel itinerary

to compute allowable travel time, chargeable leave, and proceed time. Member's departure and arrival dates should coincide with departure and arrival dates to or from PDS or local area, whichever applies or date member is available for duty.

Examples:

Member arrives Peterson AFB, CO on Friday and checks into billeting and calls his/her supervisor. Member reports to duty section Monday morning. Arrival date is Friday.

Member arrives F.E. Warren AFB, WY on Monday and checks into billeting. Member reports to duty on Friday. Arrival date is Friday.

Where's our Personnel Guy?

• 1 month later...

I just separated from AD in Montana to a ANG unit in Tennessee and did a full DITY move. Before I left MT I bought an 8*16 enclosed trailer to put all my stuff in. Submitted all my paperwork yesterday and today I get a call saying I won't be allowed to claim the trailer as an expense because it doesn't qualify. I realize I won't be reimbursed for the cost of the trailer and that I can't add the weight of the trailer when I weigh it. But being able to claim that as a moving expense will save me several hundred dollars in taxes since the cost of the trailer will effectively eliminate any taxable "profit." Just seems like bullshit that you can claim tape and boxes and all that stuff but not an actual MOVING TRAILER. Does this sound right or can someone point me to the correct regs so I can find out?

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE PASS A COPY OF THIS MESSAGE TO ALL SQUADRON AND GROUP COMMANDERS,

YOUR WING COMMANDER, COMMAND CHIEF, AND YOUR LOCAL FINANCE/TRAVEL OFFICIALS.

1. The volcanic eruption in Iceland caused significant disruptions with

travel to and from Europe. Although official stop movement of Air Force

personnel was not implemented, the eruption itself caused a stop movement

which affected Air Force personnel and their families.

2. Air Staff entitlement officials have provided information concerning

this delay and the proper course of action to be taken to ensure we take

care of our Airmen who were impacted by this event. The following guidance

applies to all Airmen impacted by this event.

3. Both AFI 65-114, paragraph 5.7.3, and the JFTR, U5160E, provide an avenue

for assistance in this situation. The new (gaining) commander can authorize

additional travel time. It requires the commander to sign a memo for the

Airman to submit with his or her travel voucher. Per the AFI: "Additional

Travel time may be authorized/approved when actual travel time exceeds

authorized travel time for reasons beyond the member's control (such as acts

of God, restrictions by Government authorities, difficulties in obtaining

fuel for POCs or other reason satisfactory to the member's new commanding

officer). The amount of additional travel time authorized may be the actual

delay period or a shorter period as determined appropriate by the member's

new commanding officer. The explanation of the circumstances, which

necessitated the delay, together with the commanding officer's action, must

be attached to the voucher." In addition, the JFTR states that "Per diem is

payable for any days additional travel time is authorized."

4. Air Staff entitlement officials have already discussed this issue with

the FM community.

5. AFPC POC for this information is DPAPP, Assignment Programs and

Procedures Branch.

• 3 weeks later...

Need some advice here. I will PCS to UPT with the wife in the next couple of months. We are trying to figure out the most "productive" means of doing this. My view of "productive" is DITY $$$$$ while she wants peace of mind and ease. I have heard so many different tactics that I don't quite know where to start. I'm allowed 13,000lbs which we will probably get close to. I'm ANG - not AD if that makes a difference.

Here are my options from what I understand:

1. Buy a trailer (roughly 8x16 enclosed) to tow all your crap in it and get paid for the weight of trailer and goods inside. I'm a bit unsure of this.

2. Rent big ass UHaul truck and tow one of our vehicles behind

3. Have someone move it for us.

It seems like the JFTR changes constantly and I can't even begin to understand what the heck it really says. I also have a tough time trusting TMO. I want a good excuse to buy a new/bigger truck so what do you guys/gals really recommend here?

Need some advice here. I will PCS to UPT with the wife in the next couple of months. We are trying to figure out the most "productive" means of doing this. My view of "productive" is DITY $$$$$ while she wants peace of mind and ease. I have heard so many different tactics that I don't quite know where to start. I'm allowed 13,000lbs which we will probably get close to. I'm ANG - not AD if that makes a difference.

Here are my options from what I understand:

1. Buy a trailer (roughly 8x16 enclosed) to tow all your crap in it and get paid for the weight of trailer and goods inside. I'm a bit unsure of this.

2. Rent big ass UHaul truck and tow one of our vehicles behind

3. Have someone move it for us.

It seems like the JFTR changes constantly and I can't even begin to understand what the heck it really says. I also have a tough time trusting TMO. I want a good excuse to buy a new/bigger truck so what do you guys/gals really recommend here?

You can also do partial DITY - I went with a lot of the smaller but denser (easy to pack and more weight=more pay) stuff like tools, guns, some kitchen stuff,etc. and had the movers take the rest. That way you more than cover your travel cost, have the important stuff with you right away, keep the valuable stuff away from the movers stealing it, and someone else takes care of the hard to move stuff like furniture, big screen TVs, etc.

You won't get reimbursed for the weight of the trailer, so don't bother with this. Only certain types of utility trailers count for household goods and thus towards your weight. Check out move.mil...one of the pamphlets has the definition of this, but it's something like single-axle 8x12 with no side higher than 28 inches and a gate no taller than 4 ft unless removable. If you claim the weight and the trailer doesn't qualify, it might bite you if you're audited.

If you go to TMO they should give you an estimate for what you'd make doing a DITY or partial DITY. It's a flat fee based on weight and distance, so whether you rent a truck or buy a trailer you're not going to get any more or less money for moving the same shit.

Speaking of DITY, where the F are the tables? The Navy site doesn't work anymore, is there another way to estimate reimbursement? I have searched the JFTR to no avail, and the SDDC site is literally useless as far as I can tell.