Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Anything wrong with moving OS to CONUS where I show up at my base living in TLF, take my 10 days PTDY (already approved by my losing cc) then BEFORE signing in, I take 2 weeks leave, sign in after which is still well before my RNLT?

I’m just looking to stay legal so there are no issues when I finally show up.

Sanity check appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I think PTDY is shorter if you take it after you leave your losing base (after final out). 

Doesn't matter when you check in to your new base if it’s before RNLTD. Any days beyond travel will be charged as leave. 

8 hours ago, di1630 said:

So am I legal to go straight from PTDY to leave without signing in? From how I read, finance will just add those days that I didn’t sign in as leave.

If your PTDY is after your final out your gaining CC should be the approver and it will only be 7 days. Normally PTDY at the gaining base is taken after you sign in. 

Edited by Homestar

Have you called your gaining CC to maybe coordinate this master plan your hatching?

Hell no, that’s why I’m on here....to get informal planning advice from all you dudes before I put myself in a position where I can lose leave/PTDY.

My losing CC already approved 10 days and I told my incoming CC when I’d be signing in.

Image1562083577.561334.jpg

I am not a personnelist, but this is how I understand it, and have seen it. 

The PTDY rule in your attached image only applies if you take your 10 days of "house hunting" leave before you final-out your loosing PDS. 

Example: You are stationed at Ramstein, you have orders to Langly, you choose to use your 10 days of "house hunting" leave before you pack-up and move to Langly, your current CC at Ramstein approves your PTDY to go house hunting, you leave the local area of Ramstein to take your 10 days, you return to Ramestein and sign back in with your current unit... 

Now, if don't exercise the option above, once you final-out your loosing PDS you begin your authorized travel days on your orders. You arrive to your new unit, sign-in, and the CSS or CC clears you off for your 10 days house hunting leave. Because you have signed in to your new PDS and you are no longer leaving the local area to conduct your house hunting there is no action required in LeaveWeb, and the rule you reference no longer applies 

Addressing your statement, "Anything wrong with moving OS to CONUS where I show up at my base living in TLF, take my 10 days PTDY (already approved by my losing cc) then BEFORE signing in, I take 2 weeks leave, sign in after which is still well before my RNLT?" 

Kind of a grey area where its probably best to get a sanity check with the gaining unit. If you are trying to leave the local area of your new PDS while using the 10 days of house hunting than your plan is probably not Kosher. If anything, count the two weeks of normal leave you want to use in-between signing-out and signing-in PDSs. Then formally sign-in and begin your 10 days. 

Thanks dudes for the input, I called a personnel person and got resolve.

Apparently while non-std, I can PCS, take my already approved 10 days permissive TDY then go right into leave as much as I want up to my RNLT date. Once I sign in, they’ll subtract the PTDY from my leave and adjust accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Need a sanity check on my plan.

Moving OCONUS, will be authorized NTS. I plan to personally-procure NTS (lots of guns and ammo) for the duration of my time overseas. 

The part I need some eyes on. Assuming my post-OCONUS tour is back somewhere stateside, I plan on combining the OCONUS PCS with the follow-on CONUS PCS to move my stuff from my personally-procured NTS to wherever my CONUS duty location is at. Of course, I'll just leave my stuff in storage if I go OCONUS-OCONUS. 

The reason I am doing personally-procured NTS is I have thousands of dollars worth of custom handloads for my rifles (competitive target shooting) and I don't want to just give them away. I also don't have a ton of crap so I'll be well within my weight limits. 

As I read the JTR 051301.d and AFI24-602v4, 2.1.1.1, my plan works but I want to make sure I'm not missing an AFI somewhere. 

• 3 months later...

Found a few posts about this in this thread, but topics usually stray away before a good answer. Has anybody had luck delaying the final pcs move after separation/retirement?  Also, is it 6 months or 1 year from separation to use it?

i went from AD to Reserves a few months ago and I’m looking to move in 3-4 years ish to the final “plant the roots location.”  For those that have had success, how’d u go about it?  I’ve heard it’s only a 1 year extension at a time, if it’s granted. TIA

Found a few posts about this in this thread, but topics usually stray away before a good answer. Has anybody had luck delaying the final pcs move after separation/retirement?  Also, is it 6 months or 1 year from separation to use it?
i went from AD to Reserves a few months ago and I’m looking to move in 3-4 years ish to the final “plant the roots location.”  For those that have had success, how’d u go about it?  I’ve heard it’s only a 1 year extension at a time, if it’s granted. TIA

6 months for me with Palace Front. I emailed for an extension and was granted a 1 year extension. Pretty easy process.

On 10/29/2019 at 8:32 PM, Duck said:

6 months for me with Palace Front. I emailed for an extension and was granted a 1 year extension. Pretty easy process.

I emailed for an extension and got the typical active duty runaround and a “FINAL” (actual caps in the letter) extension of 6 months.  Time to find a new justification to keep this extension train rolling.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 5:11 PM, 1969RPOL36 said:

I emailed for an extension and got the typical active duty runaround and a “FINAL” (actual caps in the letter) extension of 6 months.  Time to find a new justification to keep this extension train rolling.

How many times have u extended and for how long each time?

• 1 month later...

Haven't dealt with an accompanied TDY enroute to a PCS...The plan (confirmed with my functional and commander) is to outprocess/move, head to Altus for 6 months of training with the family, and PCS to Fairchild. I'm confused on what my orders should look like (formal training & outbound assignments were clueless).

I received a RIP for the training course to Altus (and a change from status 1 to 3...PCS enroute), but it didn't mention anything about my report date to Fairchild or my family. Ultimately, my immediate concern is getting orders squared away so I can setup the move with TMO. Here are the questions I have:

• Should I expect a second set of PCS orders with my report date to Fairchild and my family? Or does this RIP for the TDY enroute training to Altus need to be amended to include my family and Fairchild as the destination?
  • With my family on the orders for the TDY enroute, will this change/increase the lodging per diem at Altus? Either way, we have a family crash pad setup. I'm just curious what the official number is going to be and what the source document is. 

Haven't dealt with an accompanied TDY enroute to a PCS...The plan (confirmed with my functional and commander) is to outprocess/move, head to Altus for 6 months of training with the family, and PCS to Fairchild. I'm confused on what my orders should look like (formal training & outbound assignments were clueless).
I received a RIP for the training course to Altus (and a change from status 1 to 3...PCS enroute), but it didn't mention anything about my report date to Fairchild or my family. Ultimately, my immediate concern is getting orders squared away so I can setup the move with TMO. Here are the questions I have:
  • Should I expect a second set of PCS orders with my report date to Fairchild and my family? Or does this RIP for the TDY enroute training to Altus need to be amended to include my family and Fairchild as the destination?
  • With my family on the orders for the TDY enroute, will this change/increase the lodging per diem at Altus? Either way, we have a family crash pad setup. I'm just curious what the official number is going to be and what the source document is. 

It’s been a while so I’m not 100% sure but you should get orders from your current base to Fairchild with the TDY enroute annotated. I don’t think your family is included in the TDY unless specified so you’ll get generic BAH for them and TDY pay only for yourself at Altus.

12 hours ago, GoodSplash9 said:

What DI said is correct. Your orders should have your family on them but only for the PCS to Fairchild. Unless you have a rather outstanding circumstance your family won’t be included in the TDY. However, you will still receive BAH for wherever you were living when you went TDY, so no, your lodging won’t increase but you can bank that BAH. 

So you will get one set of orders, with the TDY enroute box checked, and the family accompanied on TDY box blank. It should have a RNLTD on there, expect it to be a week or two after the course end date, and don’t sweat it if the course goes long, you just need to get a amendment to orders after. 

I have done this before as well with TX-1 at Holloman. We packed essentials and lived in base housing during the TDY and it was unaccompanied. Big Blue expects you to leave your family at your current duty station and have your wife manage kids and the entire move process solo.

Hopefully you don’t get a dick at finance like the QA civilian I dealt with. It took 6 months to be paid correctly because she argued I didn’t receive any lodging or perdiem for the TDY because I was “staying with family.” Your other issue will be having your temporary HHG storage extended, I was able to do it twice with just an email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going OCONUS to OCONUS and my family is stateside. I got circuitous travel approved as an amendment so I can pick them up enroute but was told while I can procure my own tickets, I cannot use my GTC to do so now. I can't find a reference AFI or JTR paragraph for that. Is anyone aware of it? My plane tickets are going to be $12,000 total if I take a US carrier like I'm supposed to. 

• 1 month later...

Bump for the previous question and to add my own:

I'm about to turn in my request for circuitous CONUS to OCONUS, skipping the rotator option.  TMO filled in two blanks on the memo I got from vMPF. The first says "traveler is authorized a reimbursement amount of ____ ". In that blank, they wrote in the amount the government would pay to get me directly to the port where the rotator departs. It's only a couple hundred bucks.

The second blank is "The AMC portion of this request resulted in the excess cost amount of _____". In that blank, they wrote how much the govt would pay for me to take the rotator to PACAF. That amount is over a thousand bucks.

Just wanted to run this past someone who's done it before so I don't get hosed when I claim my commercial tickets and they tell me I'm only getting a couple hundred bucks because that's all that was written in the reimbursement line.

Edited by wazzuPIC
clarified origin/destination

• 3 months later...

I tried digging through the thread but couldn't find an answer that was clear to me.  Has anyone done a TDY enroute to PCS during which you left your family at your losing CONUS station during the TDY, completed the TDY and signed in to the new unit (maybe being a geo-bachelor for a bit), and then moved the family to the gaining CONUS location?  With the COVID shenanigans going on, I'd like to leave my family at my current location while I go to training (they like it here, better support network for the frau) and I'll come back and get them when it's over (hopefully during the winter break so it's an easier transition for the kiddos).  If anyone has pulled a plan like that off, what are some of the gotchas that I should be looking out for?

• 1 month later...

Can anyone answer with certainty on whether mailing items via a PPM is counted against your UAB weight allowance? I am PCSing OCONUS to CONUS and will be mailing ~200 pounds of our stuff to myself at the CONUS location. I always thought that the weight is counted as UAB, but the person answering the phone at TMO is telling me it will count as HHG weight and that I'll still get my full UAB weight allowance. The difference is important, as the movers will be weighing each UAB box and I plan to keep handing them things to pack until I get close to the limit. I don't want to get stuck with the international air freight bill for going 200 lbs over my UAB allowance.

Edited by TMFan

PPM isn't normally allowed for Transocean PCS', requires a big waiver

Mailing was HHG for me, USPS shipping receipt listed price and weight for reimbursement. That was 12 and 8 years ago

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Swizzle said:

PPM isn't normally allowed for Transocean PCS', requires a big waiver

Mailing was HHG for me, USPS shipping receipt listed price and weight for reimbursement. That was 12 and 8 years ago

Postal PPM is a thing. I did it conus to OCONUS. As long it’s mailed through the USPS, totally legit. The govt will reimburse you for a flat rate for the weight of stuff being shipped. 

Edited by Bigred
  • Upvote 1