Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

I'm in Korea also and was told the same thing

In short, I was told that I won't be reimbursed until my next PCS and I will only be reimbursed for what the government would have paid for storage. I was able to acquire an individual unit for my car and belongings each. 

That said, I may have been spoon fed BS and not get reimbursed. But I was in a situation where I didn't have much a choice and I was able to acquire cheap storage regardless. 

Good luck. If you have any other Korea questions you can PM me. Are you coming with dependents?  

Read the JTR carefully on the section regarding HHG storage and self-procurement.  I have in the past been reimbursed for 3 years of self-procured storage (car and HHG).  Of course they will only reimburse you up to govt rate and it's important you provide copies of any agreements signed with the storage place, as well as all receipts. 

Here's a random question for the masses.

Doing the interservice transfer into the Air Force, spoke with the IST office today about what kind of orders I will get. I was expecting TDY enroute to Mildenhall, but the SSgt said they typically issue PCS orders to IST officers for pay purposes.

Question 1: Is there a max length for a TDY for training before it must become a PCS? I.e., if they project 180+ days, it's automatically a PCS? A follow up, and the opposite question, can a PCS be written for potentially as short as 4 months?

Question 2: If I do in fact get PCS orders, I plan on leaving my family at my current PDS while I go through the FTU. The Navy has a policy called "geographical bachelor", which basically means you get BAH for where your dependents are at and get a free room in the BOQ where your PDS. You have to use government quarters though, if you stay anywhere else it's on your own dime. Does the Air Force have anything similar? If not I’ll probably have to bring the family with me as it’ll be expensive to pay for two rents. 

The plus side of doing a PCS to Altus and then another PCS to Mildenhall is that my timeline takes me from FY19 to FY20, so I'll get two full DLA payments, on top of the travel costs. 

Edited by Bigred

On 5/16/2019 at 11:30 PM, Bigred said:

Question 2: If I do in fact get PCS orders, I plan on leaving my family at my current PDS while I go through the FTU. The Navy has a policy called "geographical bachelor", which basically means you get BAH for where your dependents are at and get a free room in the BOQ where your PDS. You have to use government quarters though, if you stay anywhere else it's on your own dime. Does the Air Force have anything similar? If not I’ll probably have to bring the family with me as it’ll be expensive to pay for two rents.

I just had this situation and, yes, the AF has the same (I believe; I'm a Reservist, so I can't speak 100% to AD rules). I PCS'd to UPT right after OTS and left the wife and kiddo at home. She was still working and I had the TDY to SERE between OTS and UPT anyway, so it made more sense for her to stay home. 

Edited by FDNYOldGuy
Didn't add to the convo

Over 139 days triggers a PCS vs. TDY. Two ways around that are either have a specific waiver for that course (i.e. WIC) or have at least a 30 day break in formal courses, at which point you can be TDY up to 179 days. An example for the latter would be a couple months of TX, break, then AC qual course, totaling no more than 179 days. 

This was years ago, but I stayed on base during an extended TDY while getting BAH for the PDS my family lived at. One note is if you leave the Navy and move your family to Mildenhall, but DON’T sign into base prior to going to Altus, you will require SAF approval to receive Mildenhall OHA. This is an MFR request routed up the chain. The easiest answer is sign into Mildenhall (e.g. complete the PCS), then go TDY. If you go TDY enroute and stash your family in some other place (not Altus) you will have to do the MFR request to get their local BAH. Otherwise you will receive the “standard” rate, which is not that great. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I believe there is an early return from overseas program. I believe the info is on vMPF. Your command sponsored dependents can return from an OCONUS tour to a follow-on CONUS base up to 4 months early and receive full benefits. I found this on accident the other day because I thought it applied to my case. Glad I read into it for a reason. 

Anyone have any experience doing a DITY/PPM but using the payment to book a full service move? We aren’t looking to make money, but separation orders took until just a few weeks before I start terminal and TMO is saying it may be a month before movers can pick up our stuff.

Since we have a lot of crap, and heavy crap at that, the PPM estimator says we should receive $12k-$14k to do it ourselves (15,000 lbs, 1650 miles). I’d think you could find a mover for that, but I requested quotes and these guys are like leaches. My phone has been blowing up all afternoon. Mayflower? Allied? Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

Anyone have any experience doing a DITY/PPM but using the payment to book a full service move? We aren’t looking to make money, but separation orders took until just a few weeks before I start terminal and TMO is saying it may be a month before movers can pick up our stuff.

Since we have a lot of crap, and heavy crap at that, the PPM estimator says we should receive $12k-$14k to do it ourselves (15,000 lbs, 1650 miles). I’d think you could find a mover for that, but I requested quotes and these guys are like leaches. My phone has been blowing up all afternoon. Mayflower? Allied? Any recommendations?

I don’t think it will work.  They have tightened the screws on PPM moves as of late.  You need weight tickets, registrations, rental contracts (which you wouldn’t have if you did a full service carrier), etc.  The last thing you want is to pay out of pocket for a full-service move and then your reimbursement comes up short, or worse, comes up empty.   I would just try for expedited TMO....try harping on them to get you to the front of the line on account of your time table.  

Pack your stuff yourselves, hire a carrier to deliver.  Cuts costs dramatically.  Either smaller companies can move you that far or a larger company will have a truck(s) with some room that will go to waste if they don't pick up some stuff somewhere.

Moved Vegas to Texas for $4,000 plus lots of sweat equity.

YMMV.

So been a while since I DITY'd, but you should still be able to use a private carrier. A private carrier will provide you a weight ticket and you will be reimbursed a flat rate based on weight and miles. Just tell the truck company that you will need a weight. The rental contract for a uhaul is only used to calculate tax liability. For example, if a Uhaul costs you $70, then $70 of your reimbursement is tax free. But you are not reimbursed $70. You are reimbursed a flat rate based on weight and mileage only. You can still provide both vehicle registrations if you drive your cars yourself. This is used to calculate vehicle mileage reimbursement, which is separate from the DITY move all together. Lastly, your family will get per diem separate from you if you are traveling on separate days. 

I know a few people that used PODS to do a DITY and said that while they came out a bit under for their circumstances, the experience wasn't bad. You save cost on a POD by packing it yourself. Then a moving company comes and picks it up, then stores it into a warehouse until you recall it. At that point they drop it off at your new home. I believe PODS even advertises military service on their site and they have a representative that can talk you through the best options to save money. 

Edited by FLEA
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

...separation orders took until just a few weeks before I start terminal and TMO is saying it may be a month before movers can pick up our stuff.

My last PCS I got orders 7 days before my departure date and TMO said earliest pickup was in 14 days.  Our stuff, based on weight, was supposed to take 3 days to pack and 1 day to load according to TMO.  Once I got the shipper's name, I called them directly about an earlier pickup. Long story short, they did the the walk-around/survey the next day, and said they could do the whole job 2 days later.  It was impressive.  7 dudes showed up, packed and loaded the whole house in 10 hours.  As with most things, avoid the bureaucracy and go direct to the source.

Question for the squad:  I already did my final out with my current base and am on leave in the local area.  Can I still visit the finance office to process paperwork or do I need to wait until I arrive at new duty station?   It’s a BAH waiver that was just granted by AFPC.   I’m instructed to submit to servicing finance office ASAP. 

17 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

I did a full DITY a few months ago. I didn’t notice anything “tightened down” from the other partial ditys ive done in the past. Just needed weight tickets and receipts. 

I know you said you aren’t looking to make money but you could probably pocket 5-8 grand doing it  yourself. I know several people that pack up the small stuff/boxes themselves and hire people to load the boxes/furniture in a rental truck. I think my last neighbor had 13,000 lbs, I believe the hired help was about $700 to load and $800 to unload.

I had 12,000lbs, 26ft UHUAL was $1600 for 1200 miles, $400 ish in gas. Bought a one way plane ticket back to drive my truck with trailer/motorcycle. Total I spent about $4500 on rentals, gas, boxes, plane ticket etc, got reimbursed something like $8000 +DLA/per diem and all that. It was a pain in the ass but was a nice influx of cash. 

Oh and nothing got broke/damaged/lost and I didn’t have to wait 2 weeks to get my shit delivered. 

Edited by viper154
  • Upvote 2

On 6/11/2019 at 6:03 AM, FLEA said:

I believe there is an early return from overseas program. I believe the info is on vMPF. Your command sponsored dependents can return from an OCONUS tour to a follow-on CONUS base up to 4 months early and receive full benefits. I found this on accident the other day because I thought it applied to my case. Glad I read into it for a reason. 

Source?  I've seen someone go through this about two years ago and he had to get a secretarial waiver to collect both BAH and OHA.  But his request was approved and I believe the justification was similar to di1630's.  Early return of dependents is not an option if an assignment notification has already dropped.  

I found the info on the vMPF website. You will need a CAC to login. But the application form is under outproccessing actions similar to request to change RPNLD etc....

Edited by FLEA

23 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

To echo what @otsap said, don't take what TMO is saying as gospel. All they do is input that you are moving and then your regional JPPSO will then divy it out to the moving contractors. One of my people was told on Monday by TMO that they were SOL after some en route training was added, moving their dates up a month. After much freaking out and calling moving companies over the next couple days, the government moving contractor called up yesterday saying that they can do a move next week.

I would be willing to bet that they are telling everyone looking to move in June and July to pound sand because it is the busy season and not necessarily based on any facts. The actual scheduling is up to JPPSO and the moving contractors.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:57 PM, MooseAg03 said:

Backing up what @FLEA and @viper154 said on the DITY. I flew up, rented a truck, hired movers to pack and load, and drove the truck down myself. I took all the receipts from the truck, movers, fuel, etc. to TMO and got those amounts taken off the taxable amount paid out for weight, the packet certified, and sent off to my finance office. The payments are in the works and I've gotten the tickets that they're to be paid out, so I think all is well.

As for hiring movers and still doing a DITY, a Guard bro here at UPT with some solid prior service time and a lot of financial savvy told me you can definitely do that. He said he just hired movers on his own and was able to come out ahead because they were below what the government would have paid out. It's more wrangling on your end by getting everything lined up properly by booking the movers, getting them on base, ensuring they get the weigh tickets, etc., but it's definitely doable and you can get a few bucks for your trouble, as long as your bill for hiring them is less than 95% of what the government would have paid out to do it themselves. And you don't have to wait weeks for your stuff.

I PCSd with a normal moving company...did everything like a civilian would; all worked out fine with normal receipts. It took some effort to stay on top of moving company and call them out when they tried to pull fast ones, but overall better than any mil move I’ve done simply because I had more control and there was no worry on getting my stuff moved when I wanted to.  

That said, any charges with a receipt dated prior to your PCS orders date may not be reimbursed. So be careful to not screw that one up.

Does anyone know or have experience with PCSing and having your HHGs sent to a location a few(4.5) hours from your gaining duty station?

Basically, is it reimbursable or will it come out of my pocket?

Moving to England, don’t have orders yet but fully expect to be authorized to take a car with me. If I take a car, then get orders to somewhere I can’t take it (i.e., Kadena) will the govt ship it back to CONUS and then store it? 

On 6/20/2019 at 1:16 PM, DL33 said:

Does anyone know or have experience with PCSing and having your HHGs sent to a location a few(4.5) hours from your gaining duty station?

Basically, is it reimbursable or will it come out of my pocket?

Did this on the last PCS, though the location was >4.5 hours away. You can have your stuff moved anywhere you want. The government will reimburse up to the amount it would have cost to move to your next duty station. It was pretty easy to accomplish: just tell TMO where the movers will take your stuff. Tell the movers where to take your stuff. As always, exceptions and waivers may apply.

• Thanks 1

I would avoid PODS. This was our experience with PODS after they refused to honor their contract to deliver to Ft. Leavenworth. They said it was an inconvenience to deliver to post and would put them behind schedule, but they said we could pick up our stuff from the facility if we wanted to. The facility was over an hour a way.7E0EB6E1-19A1-4C2B-A316-8D11F6EF1F81.thumb.jpeg.584ab2722dce07f2e7dab59c11298590.jpeg

I would avoid PODS. This was our experience with PODS after they refused to honor their contract to deliver to Ft. Leavenworth. They said it was an inconvenience to deliver to post and would put them behind schedule, but they said we could pick up our stuff from the facility if we wanted to. The facility was over an hour a way.7E0EB6E1-19A1-4C2B-A316-8D11F6EF1F81.thumb.jpeg.584ab2722dce07f2e7dab59c11298590.jpeg

Wait...they stowed away trafficked children in your POD??

Sorry, trying to lighten the mood. Looks like you guys had fun transferring all of your crap into a moving truck. Did they at least give you a discount on the rate since they didn’t uphold their end?

We’re in the middle of a full PPM/DITY with 16k pounds of stuff. Not fun. In case people were wondering, UPack is a rip-off. I got a quote for 36’ of trailer space, then when I went to book it the price jumped 40%, and they said Old Dominion had to provide the trailers. The problem is, OD doesn’t provide weight tickets anymore.

• Like 1