Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

1 hour ago, gonefishin said:

I'm PCSing soon and TLF only has 1 bedroom available. They claim that my family of 5 will fit because they have an air mattress for us to use (free of charge). I asked for a non A but was denied. Does anyone know where the new JTR will tell me if it is my right to get a non A? If no non A is given can I still get reimbursed $60 a day for finding a better place? I'd be happy to pay a little out of pocket to not give Air Force inns my business.

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network Forums

Afi 34-135 para 3.3.3 gives the lodging manger say on what's adequate, unfortunately.  However, reading the JTR Ch 5, part A, sec 9, paragraph G.2.b(4), you may not need a non-A, and reading paragraph (5), you may be able to personally certify adequate rooms aren't available.

Furthermore, if they're putting 5 people in one room, and having some on the floor, that sounds like a fire code violation:  call CE/fire department/safety to get them to write it up.

• 1 month later...

Didn't see a "TDY" topic, so this is probably the best fit.  Is anyone familiar with the JTR reference that allows for a RON midway through a travel leg when that leg exceeds XX hours?  Basically, my RTB return is like a 30+ hour leg and several who have gone before me swear there's a reference (I can't find it) that if travel duration exceeds XX hours, then you are authorized an RON in one of your stops along the way.

Many don't use the option and just deal with the disaster 3-4 leg travel day to get home to mom and the kids.  I'm more of the belief that you shouldn't pass up a free night in London, etc.

Didn't see a "TDY" topic, so this is probably the best fit.  Is anyone familiar with the JTR reference that allows for a RON midway through a travel leg when that leg exceeds XX hours?  Basically, my RTB return is like a 30+ hour leg and several who have gone before me swear there's a reference (I can't find it) that if travel duration exceeds XX hours, then you are authorized an RON in one of your stops along the way.
Many don't use the option and just deal with the disaster 3-4 leg travel day to get home to mom and the kids.  I'm more of the belief that you shouldn't pass up a free night in London, etc.

Not familiar. You can spend the night at your port of embarkation/debarkation...in other words, your first stop in the states, typically BWI if returning from the sandbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

28 minutes ago, ViperStud said:

See JTR Chapter 4: Temporary rest Stop Part D Travel 4415. It has what you are looking for...just control F "4415" 

• 4 months later...

Thread bump:

I separated from the AF and am currently on terminal. Initially our plan was to move to Las Vegas and had our HHGs shipped there (from Omaha.) They are currently in storage while I do a little post AF vacation.

However, I found out I got an airline job, and want to now move to whereever I get domiciled. I probably won't find out for another couple of months, which puts me past the 90 days of free government storage.

Anyone ever requested the second 90 days available? How about moving non delivered HHGs  once they're already at the government's destination? I understand I will have to pay for this, but have no idea how to even set it up.

Any feedback/help would be greatly appreciated! :beer:

• 1 month later...

So skimmed this thread and didn't really find anything I was quite looking for. I have an opportunity to go to Yongsan, Osan or Kadena, but there is one problem, my family has 3 pets. 2 cats and 1 dog. I really hate to pass this deal up but my wife has made it clear we are not re-homeing an animal. Whats the actual viability of pulling this off? I feel if I go off base its obviously between me and the landlord but there seems to be some difficulty at getting off base in these locations. Anyone have similar experience? Avenues to look into? 

The govt pays for two of them, you pay out of pocket for the third...and I assume the two cats can go in the cabin with you anyways, so it probably won't cost you much at all.  As far as the civilian "housing emperor" knows, you only have two pets.  It's not like you have three large dogs; this should be easy to keep on the DL.

Or solve the root cause of this problem and shitcan the cats, a win-win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLEA said:

So skimmed this thread and didn't really find anything I was quite looking for. I have an opportunity to go to Yongsan, Osan or Kadena, but there is one problem, my family has 3 pets. 2 cats and 1 dog. I really hate to pass this deal up but my wife has made it clear we are not re-homeing an animal. Whats the actual viability of pulling this off? I feel if I go off base its obviously between me and the landlord but there seems to be some difficulty at getting off base in these locations. Anyone have similar experience? Avenues to look into? 

Go to Kadena

Thanks for the inputs guys. Totally on board with off loading the cats. They served their purpose (put off pregnancy at least 3 years, dog bought me another 2 years), but now they just tear up the furniture and wine for food all the time. I hate cats. 

matmacwc, Kadena because getting off base is easier? Or you just think its the nicer location? 

So more detail, Kadena is my bribe to take a remote to Korea, with my options being Osan or Yongsan. I can go accompanied if I want, and I'm trying to not split my family if I don't have to. This might be my only opportunity at overseas in my career so I really don't want to pass it... I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is how easy it is to get off base at all those options. But if Kadena is the only one that's realistic I will probably go solo to Korea. 

Any words of advice for dealing with the claims adjusters after the PCS?

Every time I email her the auto reply is “thanks for your correspondence. We will reply within 30 days.” Then I remind her after 30 days that she owes me an answer.

It’s been 17 months since my PCS. Time to give up on full replacement value and transfer my claim to the military?

Any words of advice for dealing with the claims adjusters after the PCS?

Every time I email her the auto reply is “thanks for your correspondence. We will reply within 30 days.” Then I remind her after 30 days that she owes me an answer.

It’s been 17 months since my PCS. Time to give up on full replacement value and transfer my claim to the military?

Is this the claims department at TMM Jacksonville? I’ve heard recently about claims taking a while, but that is ridiculous. We already had to pay to fix our washing machine that was broken during the move and come spring time I have to buy my kids a new trampoline because they trashed it. We shouldn’t have to fight for years to get compensated for losses.

Reason 2,469,569 dudes are tripping over each other on the way out the door.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone Palace Chased/Front/etc into a Reserve or ANG unit that is co-located with their last active duty station then successfully used their last PCS move after AD separation to move to a different city?

I palace chased into my Guard unit a few months ago, but we are moving to the city where I will be domiciled with my airline gig. I'm trying to figure out if I am still allowed one last move by the military. I'm still within the 180 day timeframe, but the JTR is pretty confusing concerning the subject. 

I also get that the last move is to your home of record or place you entered active duty, but they are similar distances to where we are moving, so costs should be similar. At the least, I'd like to get some of it paid for if possible...moving is expensive!

Edited by JS57

I'm going to go with "Yes" seeing as my separation move got scheduled before my 1288 was even fully complete, and your JTR entitlement is based on your separation from active service, not based on the fact that you are being gained by ANG/AFRC unit X. On the paperwork I filled out with TMO there were containers for (I'm paraphrasing from memory) "Authorized Delivery Location" and "Directed Delivery Location." The former was the HOR or PLEAD as designated on my separation orders as the place I was headed to; the latter was the address I chose which was a shorter distance from my final AD base than was my PLEAD (it could have been more and I simply would have owed the government the difference in costs). Nothing on there about the installation my AFRC unit is at.