Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

I scanned the link Azimuth posted and there's some incorrect info in there - the AF will pay to move your family/stuff to somewhere CONUS (really up to you where), pay BAH in that location, etc. If your follow-on is CONUS, it probably makes the most sense to move them there, but you don't have to. Additionally, it is possible for your family to stay at your current location, but it requires approval from I believe the MAJCOM (can't remember exactly, but it's definitely higher than WG/CC). Essentially your WG/CC must argue your spouse is of specific value to the base/local community and everyone would benefit from her staying. Saving the government a mega shit-ton of money is not a valid argument...clearly.

Edited by brabus

I currently have a Palace Chase application in the works and my ADSC expires in 7 months. I have been hired by a unit that is located at my current duty station. I need to move out of the house I am renting and into the house that I bought before any of this will be finalized. Is there anyway I can get he AF to pay for my move instead of having to do it on my own dime? They will only give separation orders 30-45 days out and without orders TMO won't do anything. I considered trying a full DITY and claiming it after the fact but if the weight ticket dates are before the orders it won't be reimbursed. I have asked about using my "Home of Record" move but again TMO says that is only supposed to be used for getting into the AF not out of the AF. Any ideas would be appreciated.

HOR move applies when you separate. I went Palace Front last year, and they paid what it would cost to move to my HOR (I moved about 3x further away). I had 7 years' AD. I believe there's a line around 12 years where they'll pay to move you anywhere in CONUS as you've been away from your HOR long enough, but I wasn't nearly close enough to it so I didn't pay much attention to it.

And the dates can be before your orders by a certain amount. I did a full DITY and shipped my stuff (via UBox, didn't trust the Gov't to not screw me over on shipping/storage with their carrier) before my "first movement" date by about 2 weeks. Finance Guy probably knows the exact delimiter, but they paid out for me.

I'm slated to have my final out from my base this Friday with one travel day authorized for travel to the new base.

Our MPF is somewhat dysfunctional and decided to tell me today that my final out was moved up a day due to an MPF functional on Friday. Of course, had I had more than four days to plan, I would have reserved lodging and coordinated a multitude of other outprocessing/departure prep items, but now am up a creek. I pushed back and convinced the Airman that Thursday was untenable, so he'll meet with me on Friday.

My question: I'm somewhat concerned based on this MPF's past performance that I'll show up Friday to a ghost town, thus I'm considering moving my final out to late Thursday. Since we cannot leave until Saturday morning due to lodging and other reasons, will I be charged leave since I outprocessed my base on Thursday and showed to the new one on Saturday with only one travel day allotted?

have your CC call their CC, to ensure support on Fri for you. You should not have to jump through hoops on your PCS because of poor planning on their part. Seriously.

have your CC call their CC, to ensure support on Fri for you. You should not have to jump through hoops on your PCS because of poor planning on their part. Seriously.

BS. Handle it yourself, and only get your commander involved when all else fails. People need to start acting like grown ups and quit running to the CC or CCF with every little issue...

• Upvote 2

BS. Handle it yourself, and only get your commander involved when all else fails. People need to start acting like grown ups and quit running to the CC or CCF with every little issue...

"The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded that you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership."

• Upvote 1

I'm slated to have my final out from my base this Friday with one travel day authorized for travel to the new base.

Our MPF is somewhat dysfunctional and decided to tell me today that my final out was moved up a day due to an MPF functional on Friday. Of course, had I had more than four days to plan, I would have reserved lodging and coordinated a multitude of other outprocessing/departure prep items, but now am up a creek. I pushed back and convinced the Airman that Thursday was untenable, so he'll meet with me on Friday.

My question: I'm somewhat concerned based on this MPF's past performance that I'll show up Friday to a ghost town, thus I'm considering moving my final out to late Thursday. Since we cannot leave until Saturday morning due to lodging and other reasons, will I be charged leave since I outprocessed my base on Thursday and showed to the new one on Saturday with only one travel day allotted?

No. When you final out they make you sign your orders with the date and time you will depart the local area on your PCS. Just make sure you put Saturday or whatever date and time you plan to leave. Also, keep the emails just in case there is a question. If you are that concerned then get your CC involved.
  • Upvote 1

Any issues with shipping a car back to the US from an OCONUS assignment when you didn't bring one over initially? Didn't see a reference in the JTR and TMO said "sure!", but I'd prefer not to be stuck paying out of pocket. Thanks.

"The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded that you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership."

Or you can buy into the fact that he's an Officer and that Airman took an oath that said "I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the officers appointed over me."

He tells them what's going to happen, if there's pushback, he stops interacting with them and deals with the Flt/CC or Flight Chief. You also solve problems at the lowest level, that's Leadership 101.

So you're saying that it's the commander's job to solve everyone's problems? Holy crap--no wonder the AF is getting so effed up! Tell me you're not a commander...

Hi,

I'm a newly commissioned Lt and my report date is 26 July. I've been given a little bit of direction from my cadre but I really have no idea what I'm doing here! I emailed the HMO for the base and hopefully will hear back from them soon. I was told that I shouldn't look at any off base apartments until I check with them otherwise I could end up paying for an apartment but being forced to live in a dorm on the base! I don't know what kind of options they even have for us, I am single but my girlfriend plans to move in with me a few months later so I'm not sure if she would even be able to live on the base with me. And going into a dorm room would absolutely be the last option I would pick! Thanks for any help y'all can provide me.

Hi,

I'm a newly commissioned Lt and my report date is 26 July. I've been given a little bit of direction from my cadre but I really have no idea what I'm doing here! I emailed the HMO for the base and hopefully will hear back from them soon. I was told that I shouldn't look at any off base apartments until I check with them otherwise I could end up paying for an apartment but being forced to live in a dorm on the base! I don't know what kind of options they even have for us, I am single but my girlfriend plans to move in with me a few months later so I'm not sure if she would even be able to live on the base with me. And going into a dorm room would absolutely be the last option I would pick! Thanks for any help y'all can provide me.

where are you going? what's your AFSC? does your girlfriend know you're single?

Edited by day man

I was in a similar situation about 7 years ago, so the following gouge may be stale. Your girlfriend cannot live on base with you unless you plan to mind her 24/7. You can look at getting her a pass, but that is a short term solution. I was in a similar situation and was able to get my then girlfriend (now exwife) a pass to get on base. Be aware she'll have to pass a quick background check (computer search for criminal records)to get a pass for longer than one month. As far as the USAF is concerned your gf doesn't exist until she becomes your wife. Do not rush into marriage to get your chica base access. Make sure your gf understands the hassle this is going to be for her BEFORE she follows you across the country.

I see. So basically to live on base they're going to force us to marry. Well I refuse and I will be looking at off base housing for sure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Slow down there, sport. Some UPT bases require unmarried students to live in the dorms.

It might be a good idea to talk to bros or make some phone calls.

My afsc is 92t3 and I'm going to Randolph. And that's not fair at all, where is my girlfriend supposed to live then? That's really discriminatory against unmarried couples! I didn't do all this work to go back to a dorm room!

• Downvote 6

My afsc is 92t3 and I'm going to Randolph. And that's not fair at all, where is my girlfriend supposed to live then? That's really discriminatory against unmarried couples! I didn't do all this work to go back to a dorm room!

All what work? College and field training? You are in for a rude awakening...

Edit because I just saw the other posts.

Discriminating because you're not married, that's funny dude. ROTC should have told you about stuff like this. If she wants to move to San Antonio she should get a job and her own place. Besides you're going to Creech/Cannon in a year, better make sure she is aware of that.

Also the dorms aren't like college, they are really studio apartments.

Edited by the g-man

That's really discriminatory against unmarried couples! I didn't do all this work to go back to a dorm room!

A special snowflake such as you needs to be immediately identified by your chain of command, so be sure to call your commander before you show up. Ask him to start working on an exemption to policy (ETP) memo for you to ensure it's ready when you arrive. That way, you can quickly eschew the dorms and move into that cushy apartment off base. After all, you're a 2nd Lt, and you deserve a nice place.

Since all of your hard work has made you the high-speed guy you are, make sure to schedule an appointment with the WG/CC shortly after you arrive to discuss his discriminatory policies. There, be sure to have a multi-page report prepared that outlines your various accomplishments so far in your illustrious ROTC career (to include pictures of your ROTC ribbon rack and information about all the job experience and cadet rank you accumulated at your detachment) so he can know you're the real deal.

All that should help your case and promptly get you identified as a rising star in your community. Nowadays, you can't start that process too soon, so hit the ground running!

Edited by Ram
  • Upvote 11

A special snowflake such as you needs to be immediately identified by your chain of command, so be sure to call your commander before you show up. Ask him to start working on an exemption to policy (ETP) memo for you to ensure it's ready when you arrive. That way, you can quickly eschew the dorms and move into that cushy apartment off base. After all, you're a 2nd Lt, and you deserve a nice place.

Since all of your hard work has made you the high-speed guy you are, make sure to schedule an appointment with the WG/CC shortly after you arrive to discuss his discriminatory policies. There, be sure to have a multi-page report prepared that outlines your various accomplishments so far in your illustrious ROTC career (to include pictures of your ROTC ribbon rack and information about all the job experience and cadet rank you accumulated at your detachment) so he can know you're the real deal.

All that should help your case and promptly get you identified as a rising star in your community. Nowadays, you can't start that process too soon, so hit the ground running!

Call the CGOC on Randolph too and tell the president to get on their email list STAT.