Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Yeah, thanks for the totally worthless advice. I know the shit that I messed up dude, but there were a lot of other factors going on with this move that made it impossible to watch everything that they were doing and I had to put my attention on about 5 other things at the time to ensure that my life did not completely fall apart. I'll save you the details.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do now if anything?

My post wasn't for you. Sorry.

Spartacus,

The fridge may be a lost battle since you signed it, but the other stuff may not be. Were the items in numbered boxes, or in a box that was on the shipping list? They can't list every single damn item that is in each box so the items don't need to be on the manifest per say. Now if you are saying that they shipped un-marked boxes you may not have any ammo to fight with. Even in that case, I'd try to fight it.

Hindsight is 20/20. I've been PCS'ing my entire life and one thing I learned was to photograph all high value items...from several angles. And then I won't let any HVIs get packed without my wife or I being there and then confirming it's on the HVI list. Very tedious, but worth it in the long run. For everything else I usually walk through each room and take a few pics while everything is still out. Saved me about $500 this last PCS when a bunch of stuff showed up covered in mold of epic proportions. All because someone spilled coffee on some of the boxes.

Edited by contraildash

Spartacus,

The fridge may be a lost battle since you signed it, but the other stuff may not be. Were the items in numbered boxes, or in a box that was on the shipping list? They can't list every single damn item that is in each box so the items don't need to be on the manifest per say. Now if you are saying that they shipped un-marked boxes you may not have any ammo to fight with. Even in that case, I'd try to fight it.

Hindsight is 20/20. I've been PCS'ing my entire life and one thing I learned was to photograph all high value items...from several angles. And then I won't let any HVIs get packed without my wife or I being there and then confirming it's on the HVI list. Very tedious, but worth it in the long run. For everything else I usually walk through each room and take a few pics while everything is still out. Saved me about $500 this last PCS when a bunch of stuff showed up covered in mold of epic proportions. All because someone spilled coffee on some of the boxes.

Thanks for the reply. So here is the deal with the fridge. The effing driver put on the forms that it was rusted etc. It looks brand spanking new and I was thinking all I would have to do is take pictures of it showing that there is no way that there was any rust on it EVER. Is that not good enough to get them to change their minds though? The fridge side of it is also not working after the move and they won't even address my claim for wanting to get that side repaired. As far as a couple of the other items they were all in numbered boxes and are saying that the box said something like, "blankets" and since the model plane was not written as being in the box then they have no proof that there was a plane in there and therefore don't have to pay for it. Pretty shady sounding to me. That is really what I am dealing with is fighting about details like that.

At this point are you dealing with the movers for full replacement cost or the legal office for depreciated value? The first may be stingy...and you don't have much recourse but to rape them on the review. The second should be a little more reasonable ... But only for depreciated value.

At this point are you dealing with the movers for full replacement cost or the legal office for depreciated value? The first may be stingy...and you don't have much recourse but to rape them on the review. The second should be a little more reasonable ... But only for depreciated value.

I'm only following you on about 50% of that. Right now I am dealing with the movers, but had already decided to take it to the base. How does depreciating something that I own help me? Is this something that would go on my taxes?

it doesn't .... first you deal with the movers for full replacement cost. but that process gets you only what the mover wants to pay to preserve his rating (i.e. they don't have to pay anything). When that process runs it's course, you deal with the AF legal office and they are required to pay if there's damage ... but they only pay depreciated value.

For me, the mover side has dealt in "opinions" and "feelings" and their perceived value gained by money they give. The legal office side has been easier and fact-based ... but with more actual paperwork and less money.

• 1 month later...

Do they usually pay you for part of a partial DITY on your PCS voucher, or do they pay the move separately? I was a TDY enroute to Columbus. I received my PCS voucher last week, and this morning I received a voucher for my DITY which was roughly $1600. To me that seems awfully low considering I had a trailer with 3,000 lbs of stuff as well as my wife's car with 700 lbs. With this weight and our HHGs, we are still below our authorized weight allotment. Is this amount correct, or do I need to do some further digging? The voucher itself had little information. Thanks!

Do they usually pay you for part of a partial DITY on your PCS voucher, or do they pay the move separately? I was a TDY enroute to Columbus. I received my PCS voucher last week, and this morning I received a voucher for my DITY which was roughly $1600. To me that seems awfully low considering I had a trailer with 3,000 lbs of stuff as well as my wife's car with 700 lbs. With this weight and our HHGs, we are still below our authorized weight allotment. Is this amount correct, or do I need to do some further digging? The voucher itself had little information. Thanks!

Remember 25% of your gross entitlement less expenses you reported goes to Federal Income tax--Look for FITW on your voucher. My brother did a DITY recently and had 11,000 lbs and got about $6K gross but then factor in the taxes it is much less.

Remember 25% of your gross entitlement less expenses you reported goes to Federal Income tax--Look for FITW on your voucher. My brother did a DITY recently and had 11,000 lbs and got about $6K gross but then factor in the taxes it is much less.

What's the reason for such a redonkulous tax rate on that? I saw that they were taking 25%, just don't understand why. They sure as shit aren't using it to give me flying hours.

What's the reason for such a redonkulous tax rate on that? I saw that they were taking 25%, just don't understand why. They sure as shit aren't using it to give me flying hours.

It is just withholding. They set it like that to reduce the likelyhood of a taxes owed situation when Amn Snuffy gets a 60K bonus and then has to file in a different bracket at the end of the year.

It is just withholding. They set it like that to reduce the likelyhood of a taxes owed situation when Amn Snuffy gets a 60K bonus and then has to file in a different bracket at the end of the year.

Is there no way to request a different withholding for those types of income? Some people forecast their taxes and would prefer to not let the government hold on to their money for a year. Just seems a bit overboard to me, 25%.

The reason is our good ole IRS. It is in Pub 15 -- Search for Supplemental wages. Taxed the same as bonuses and any other one-time payments.

There is no way to change this one-time withholding rule. All you can do is factor the amount withheld into your total tax bill picture, then maybe ratchet down your withholding coming out of your monthly pay. Example is to change from Married and 0 exemptions to Married and 1 exemption. Or 2. Use a tax calculator on the web to help estimate.

so am I correct in understanding that if at the end of the year the money from a PPM doesn't push me into a higher tax bracket then I get the percentage difference between my tax bracket and the 25% back?

• 1 month later...

it doesn't .... first you deal with the movers for full replacement cost. but that process gets you only what the mover wants to pay to preserve his rating (i.e. they don't have to pay anything). When that process runs it's course, you deal with the AF legal office and they are required to pay if there's damage ... but they only pay depreciated value.

For me, the mover side has dealt in "opinions" and "feelings" and their perceived value gained by money they give. The legal office side has been easier and fact-based ... but with more actual paperwork and less money.

So I've checked my claim with the movers about FRV and they denied almost everything due to us throwing away all the broken stuff. We had pictures of the stuff before we chucked it, but apparently that wasn't good enough. Is my only recourse at this point in time to submit it through the base?

Probably, but talk to TMO and see what they have to say.

If the movers were going to pay you full replacement for damaged goods, technically they then own the damaged goods.

Why anyone wants broken shit is beyond me ... but that may just be their "out"

Probably, but talk to TMO and see what they have to say.

If the movers were going to pay you full replacement for damaged goods, technically they then own the damaged goods.

Why anyone wants broken shit is beyond me ... but that may just be their "out"

2, had my TMO brief yesterday and they said the movers had salvage rights and if you got rid of it, it was their out to not have to pay you. You will pry now have to see if the government will pay you the depreciated value.

• 2 months later...

I'm an unmarried Lt about to PCS from KCBM to KCHS. I don't have much weight to move, so I figure I won't be making much, if anything, if I move it myself. That said, I'd also rather not deal with the government hiring people to break my stuff enroute, either. TMO has only been so helpful (you know how that goes), so I could use some old guy wisdom. Given that $ is a moot point, is it worth the hassle of doing the full DITY/PPM to avoid the hassle of having to track my stuff down later and fix whatever's broken? Most of it's boxed up and in storage downtown already - since that half of the battle's already done, I'm leaning toward just finishing the job on my own.

This thread is fantastic, by the way.

Do you have a truck and or trailer? That's the best way to move your shit if you don't have a lot of stuff. TMO can be a hassle, but my moves have actually been pretty good. They broke a ton of my shit on the last move but I claimed every scratch and I actually made out ok. FYI, anything less than 100$ is pretty much automatically approved. Scratch on your lounge chair? 25$ easy. Over 100$ and you need to provide evidence of replacement cost, such as an Internet website.

I bought a trailer a few moves ago and I get paid cash monies for it on every move now, already paid for itself. Also, if you're just leaving UPT, you probably have a few moves ahead of you at least, and it's definitely worth becoming familiar with the TMO process. Experience and this forum are your best resources.

In either case though, moving is a pain in the ass. Either you deal with moving your own shit and wade thru the bureaucracy, or you let the govt do it and still wade thru the bureaucracy.

Given that $ is a moot point, is it worth the hassle of doing the full DITY/PPM to avoid the hassle of having to track my stuff down later and fix whatever's broken? Most of it's boxed up and in storage downtown already - since that half of the battle's already done, I'm leaning toward just finishing the job on my own.

My technique was to DITY anything (a) I would need immediately or (b) didn't want to send with the movers (breakable, pilferable, irreplaceable, etc.); the rest of the stuff was in the "more hassle than it's worth to me" category, I let the movers take that. If you have a vehicle that can haul all those already-packed boxes, and you don't mind putting some sweat into it, moving it yourself shoud be a very attractive option. You may be surprised just how much you get paid--mine was never less than 4-figures.

If you don't have such a vehicle, re-read AnimalMother's post....

I bought a trailer a few moves ago and I get paid cash monies for it on every move now, already paid for itself. Also, if you're just leaving UPT, you probably have a few moves ahead of you at least, and it's definitely worth becoming familiar with the TMO process. Experience and this forum are your best resources.

In either case though, moving is a pain in the ass. Either you deal with moving your own shit and wade thru the bureaucracy, or you let the govt do it and still wade thru the bureaucracy.

This.

Best bet? Buy a trailer that's small enough, or specialized enough (e.g., enclosed motorcycle trailer), to fit TMO's rules. That way, you not only get paid for moving your stuff, but also for the weight of the trailer. Mine paid for itself by the second PCS, and was pure profit thereafter--all for stuff that I didn't want to send with the movers, anyway, and would've taken with me even if the DITY program didn't exist....

• 2 months later...

Fellas,

I am doing a PCS back to CONUS from Europe. I am having to go through a state dept TMO guy that just took over. He knows nothing about DOD moves. Anyway, my orders have no unaccompanied weight allowance printed on them. It just references the JFTR weight allowance chapter. I referenced this and it only says something about NTE 10% of total weight allowance.

Anyway, everytime in the past I've done an OCONUS move the USAF TMO people usually have a table/printout that says something like 01-04s=600 lbs. I have googled everywhere and can't find this or any source data. Movers come on monday AM so just throwing this out there to see if anyone has the gouge. I'm an 0-4 w/dep.