Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Question about trailers -

I'd like to rent a trailer from U-Haul or such because I can't quite fit everything in my pickup truck, and I don't want to buy one at this point. As long as I don't count the weight of the trailer, is using a rental kosher? From a lot of sites I'm getting the impression it's fine but I haven't heard of anyone doing that before.

I did that, but you can't use the weight of the trailer. So you must weight it w/ the trailer empty & car/truck empty, then weight w/ the trailer & car/truck full. If you're paranoid have the scale operator sign off that the trailer is attached and empty, then attached and full.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tax question since finance has given me a few different answers.

I PCS'd (full DITY) and showed up to my base on 30 Dec 11. The voucher was filed and paid out sometime in Jan 12.

Do I claim the earnings and moving expenses on my 2011 or 2012 taxes?

Tax question since finance has given me a few different answers.

I PCS'd (full DITY) and showed up to my base on 30 Dec 11. The voucher was filed and paid out sometime in Jan 12.

Do I claim the earnings and moving expenses on my 2011 or 2012 taxes?

Not a tax lawyer but usually they send a separate W2 on mypay for your moving payment. Whatever year the form has is probably what you should go with since thats what the IRS sees.

Not a tax lawyer but usually they send a separate W2 on mypay for your moving payment. Whatever year the form has is probably what you should go with since thats what the IRS sees.

Figured that since I don't have a 2011 Travel/Misc W2 on MyPay (although it does say all W2s are available) it would end up going on 2012s.

Folks,

Long explanation for a short question...

I'm on a TDY out and back right now from Little Rock, but immediately upon my return (the next morning), I leave on a PCS to Cannon. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the TDY orders amended to authorize me flying into a new airport (San Antonio, where my car is currently located)?

Folks,

Long explanation for a short question...

I'm on a TDY out and back right now from Little Rock, but immediately upon my return (the next morning), I leave on a PCS to Cannon. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the TDY orders amended to authorize me flying into a new airport (San Antonio, where my car is currently located)?

Any deviation from ordered travel is leisure travel--therefore orders would not need amended. If not directed MilAir you could turnin the return ticket. Procure your own flight to SAT, p/u car then drive back to LR. Your entitlement is up to what the one-way return ticket value is. So you add the new ticket purchase to the mileage from SAT to LR and are paid that amount not to exceed the return ticket for the ordered travel. It is basically done as a cost comparison.

Edit...post above is assuming you are going back to LR. If you planned to p/u car in SAT and then proceed on to Cannon, I doubt that s/b done. You would need to return to LR (Current PDS) then proceed on to new PDS.

Edited by Finance_Guy

• 1 month later...

Dude Wtf?

I had a TDY Enroute from Columbus to SERE to Travis, 100% DITY, 550 pounds.

I know that the first 600 pounds will be covered under the TDY rate, but that's not what I'm confused about.

I had my car weighed at Columbus and had them print out 3 Emoglobin and full tickets. My weight did not change and the HHG office said that's fine if i just get the three tickets at CBM.

Now at Travis they say they can only pay me for 1 leg because I needed to get and empty and full weight ticket at Fairchild and Travis... Even though the weight is the same.

Can I do anything about this? Or did I just get screwed out of my reimbursement?

I was paid around $450 for the cbm to Fairchild leg.

Lol Emoglobin = empty, Damn autocorrectibg phone

I'd say you can use the prior weight and certify you had the same "Stuff" on the next leg. That's what I would try but it is ultimately up to TMO as to what they will accept. I think their AFI has something that discusses "constructive weight". The AF Supp to the JFTR mentions it. I would say with the prior ticket and your statement, that should qualify.

AF Supp to the JFTR, para A14.7. SHIPMENT WEIGHT

This is a must link for DITY/PPM : http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/JFTRV1-JTRV2_AFSUP1.pdf

Dude Wtf?

I had a TDY Enroute from Columbus to SERE to Travis, 100% DITY, 550 pounds.

I know that the first 600 pounds will be covered under the TDY rate, but that's not what I'm confused about.

I had my car weighed at Columbus and had them print out 3 Emoglobin and full tickets. My weight did not change and the HHG office said that's fine if i just get the three tickets at CBM.

Now at Travis they say they can only pay me for 1 leg because I needed to get and empty and full weight ticket at Fairchild and Travis... Even though the weight is the same.

Can I do anything about this? Or did I just get screwed out of my reimbursement?

I was paid around $450 for the cbm to Fairchild leg.

Lol Emoglobin = empty, Damn autocorrectibg phone

Yeah, I had the same situation. Sort of. PCS TDY enroute, but at my TDY location my orders were rescinded. So I returned to my previous duty station. Somehow I was supposed to go get new weight tickets... completely retarded! I was already well over the 600 lbs because I have a truck and I was packing for 5 months so I knew I'd only get 600 lbs reimbursed. (I had over 1,500 lbs with me... you can bring a lot in a 1 - 1/4 ton diesel). Why in the world would my weight change?

When I got back "home" I said are you absolutely kidding me? It took me 2-3 hours to unpack my crap. I'm not going to repack it, drive all the way to the scales, then go home and unpack it again.

Use some friggin' common sense here.

I've been given a PCS with a 2-week TDY enroute and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this without getting ripped off in the process.

Facts:

-The TDY is a 15 hour drive in the complete opposite direction of the PCS (30 hrs roundtrip)

-We will only have one car available during this time

-I have a family that needs a place to live while I'm TDY

-I'm told to expect that the AF will not pay for them to accompany me on the TDY

-The TDY begins 29 May (right after the four-day memorial day weekend), which means that the latest I can outprocess my current base is 24 May (5 days prior)

-I have three weeks on the backside between the TDY end and my RNLTD

Questions:

-I'd prefer to fly roundtrip the TDY location from my current base (leaving the fam in place) and then drive the fam to my new assignment after TDY complete. Is this allowable and are there any catches to this? How is the reimbursement for this calculated?

-What if I wanted to depart and return to two different airports for the TDY?

-If I do fly, will I be charged leave 25-27 May due to having to outprocess early? How are the travel days computed?

-Will TMO give me problems if I request the movers to show 2+ weeks after outprocessing the base?

-9-

• 3 months later...

I thought on remote tours you could elect where you want dependents to remain while overseas--Called a Designated Location. And once a designated location was elected, the you were authorized to travel to that location, then on to your new PDS. Upon tour completion, then you would travel from old PDS, to Deps Designated location, then on to your new PDS.

Here's what I'm hoping to do on my PCS from Kunsan (remote OCONUS) to Aviano with my frau living in Phoenix...FG or someone smarter than me, can you sanity check this for me?

Circuitous travel to take 4 or 5 days of leave en route, go to Phoenix, collect frau and dog, go to parents' house for Thanksgiving (take 3-4 days of leave) then on to Aviano.

If I read the below correctly, I should be authorized to do all this on commercial airlines (given the circuitous travel), right? Will I have to buy my ticket on a US Flagged Carrier or can I go cheapest option to make it happen? All of the TDY travel I've done from Korea has been on foreign flag carriers and was annotated as such on the orders, I just didn't know if that could happen on PCS travel as well.

Finally, do I have to fly into Phoenix (where she moved while I'm in Korea) or can I go to Palm Springs, CA instead where she will probably leave the dog with her parents. No big deal if I do, it's a 4 hour drive and I'll just rent a car to go there and back.

Does anyone know if this is the correct location of the entitlement to help Frau move:

U5120 G. Travel to/from a Designated Place:

3. Travel and Transportation Allowances Authorized/Approved by the Service Concerned. A Servicedesignated

official may authorize/approve travel and transportation allowances when the member must travel to

the designated place en route between PDSs to assist:

a. In moving dependents,

I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I go to MPF and get told that I can't do this. Also, does anyone know how they calculate travel time? My rip has given me 2 days, which doesn't really seem like it's enough to get from Korea to Italy via rotator (which I don't want to do, but that's how they calculate travel days, right?).

Thanks for the help, bros.

Here's what I'm hoping to do on my PCS from Kunsan (remote OCONUS) to Aviano with my frau living in Phoenix...FG or someone smarter than me, can you sanity check this for me? Circuitous travel to take 4 or 5 days of leave en route, go to Phoenix, collect frau and dog, go to parents' house for Thanksgiving (take 3-4 days of leave) then on to Aviano. If I read the below correctly, I should be authorized to do all this on commercial airlines (given the circuitous travel), right? Will I have to buy my ticket on a US Flagged Carrier or can I go cheapest option to make it happen? All of the TDY travel I've done from Korea has been on foreign flag carriers and was annotated as such on the orders, I just didn't know if that could happen on PCS travel as well. Finally, do I have to fly into Phoenix (where she moved while I'm in Korea) or can I go to Palm Springs, CA instead where she will probably leave the dog with her parents. No big deal if I do, it's a 4 hour drive and I'll just rent a car to go there and back. Does anyone know if this is the correct location of the entitlement to help Frau move: U5120 G. Travel to/from a Designated Place: 3. Travel and Transportation Allowances Authorized/Approved by the Service Concerned. A Servicedesignated official may authorize/approve travel and transportation allowances when the member must travel to the designated place en route between PDSs to assist: a. In moving dependents, I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I go to MPF and get told that I can't do this. Also, does anyone know how they calculate travel time? My rip has given me 2 days, which doesn't really seem like it's enough to get from Korea to Italy via rotator (which I don't want to do, but that's how they calculate travel days, right?). Thanks for the help, bros.

You really want to work all the ticket issues with your TMO (circuitous travel & Foreign Flag Carrier). Read up on JFTR Paras

U3035, U3045 and U5108-A

A. Transoceanic Travel. When travel is directed (as opposed to being authorized) by GOV’T/GOV’T-procured transportation and the member performs transoceanic travel at personal expense, no reimbursement is authorized for the transoceanic travel. Par. U5116-D. NOTE: The policy in par. U3002-B allowing reimbursement NTE the directed mode cost does not apply.

Per U3035, travel to a designated location is considered a separate journey stop point, same with POE & POD. TMO can work with your alternate plans to Palm Springs. Normally PCS orders don't always get the # of days Auth correct. If you fly the entire way, then maybe 2 days. But you have travel to a designated location and possible driving. Normally it is one day to anywhere in the U.S. when flying. OCONUS it would all depend on TMO's scheduling. When driving on a separate journey leg, then rule of thumb is 350 miles per day and if 51 over then rolls to a second day

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new one, hot of the press:

OCONUS - CONUS PCS with x2 TDY en-route. 1st TDY, 142 days. 2nd TDY is 122 days. RNLT is after 2nd TDY. Each TDY is short enough that they are un-accompanied, but they are back to back.

Thinking I can have the wife and HHG sent to HOR while I'm in training, kinda like what happens to guys going to the RoK for a year remote.

Ideas?

Which AFI covers information on your PCS when separating from active duty? I'm trying to plan out what I'm going to do in terms of moving my HHG and wasn't sure which reg I should be looking for answers in.

Did you enter AD from your home of record or commissioning source? They will pay to move you back there or anywhere a less distance than that. Thats what I understood from the separation people. I'd still look at the reg but this is good rumor.

Did you enter AD from your home of record or commissioning source? They will pay to move you back there or anywhere a less distance than that. Thats what I understood from the separation people. I'd still look at the reg but this is good rumor.

I'm separating next month... Yep, they move you to either your home of record or commissioning source, whichever is further. If you want to move somewhere further, you make up the difference. My separation orders say "Authorized all PCS Entitlements," or something to that effect.

And unless something has changed, you don't have to use that move until you want to. So if you're sticking around your last base ... That move can be used anytime in the future.

Pretty sure that is false but not going to look it up to prove it. My understanding is that you have 6 months to use that move.

Anyone heard of lodging billeting a family of three into a VOQ?

Sitution: TDY en-route PCS for several months, family on orders, TLF's aren't available

Lodging is trying to place us into a VOQ room with one bed, one hide-a-bed couch, and no kitchen or kitchenette. AFI 34-246, the lodging AFI, doesn't have much on family billeting requirements. Have another reg source or citation?

Have meeting with the lodging manager Tuesday.

I'm separating next month... Yep, they move you to either your home of record or commissioning source, whichever is further. If you want to move somewhere further, you make up the difference. My separation orders say "Authorized all PCS Entitlements," or something to that effect.

Thanks. I entered AD from my Home of Record which was Cincinnati but I will most likely be moving to NYC after I separate. So it looks like I'll be splitting the bill which is kind of what I figured would be the case. That definitely makes me want to do as much of it as a DITY as possible to save the cost.

I read the same reg you did, and this was all I could find:

3.3.3. Lodging assigns families to CL on a voluntary basis when TLFs are fully occupied or adequate

space is not available in the VQ (general manager will determine if VQ space is suitable for family

and other VQ guests). When the family is referred to CL or makes their own arrangements, lodging

must register them in Epitome as a CL or NA room type reservation.

I fully expect that the lodging manager will declare whatever room they handed you "suitable". Take your $39 per day and your BAH then go rent an apartment instead.

Edited by guineapigfury

Question:

Is there a min time allowed between returning from a deployment and when you leave for a TDY en route to a PCS? Also, are holidays factored into it? It's looking like I may get back in mid Dec and TDY en route class starts Jan 15th. I am concerned because of the Christmas/New Years holidays. Do you think this will be a problem? I am single with no family in the area. Also, I scoured 36-2110 but didn't see anything.

Edited by xaarman

Another Q:

What sort of receipts do I need to provide on a PCS when using the blue travel card? Wondering if they'll give me problems for staying in hotels that are not on my "route" but fall within the prescribed travel period. IE - Moving from A to B, but stop at C which is 300 miles out of the way, however still only taking the allocated number of travel days and paying the extra gas out of pocket.

Edited by ForgotPassword