Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Anyone ever DITY move and then have TMO tell you that they wont reimburse you for all your expenses based on weight? Because I only moved 2500lbs of stuff the reimbursment (even at 100%) wont cover the equipment rental... so I am out of pocket $500. Any way to get around this BS?

How much equipment does it take to move 2,500lbs? I would say if it cost $500 more than you received as a DITY Incentive, then it was way too expensive and not worth doing it yourself. DLA is to cover those extraordinary costs related to a PCS move. You "get what you get" on a DITY move--95% of what if would have cost the government. I guess the way around this is to have the Govt arrange it all...no work for you or out of pocket $$.

For PCS moves, are expenses involved with changing your address (drivers license, FAA, post office, etc) reimbursable?

Post office change of address? Isn't that's like a dollar? Seriously? At any rate, all of those expenses are assumed to be covered by your DLA - Dislocation Allowance. From the DoD perdiem website:

The purpose of DLA is to partially reimburse a member, with or without dependents, for the expenses incurred in relocating the member's household on a PCS, housing moves ordered for the Government's convenience, or incident to an evacuation. This allowance is in addition to all other allowances authorized in this Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR) and may be paid in advance.

That link also has a DLA calculator.

How much equipment does it take to move 2,500lbs? I would say if it cost $500 more than you received as a DITY Incentive, then it was way too expensive and not worth doing it yourself. DLA is to cover those extraordinary costs related to a PCS move. You "get what you get" on a DITY move--95% of what if would have cost the government. I guess the way around this is to have the Govt arrange it all...no work for you or out of pocket $$.

The DITY incentive covered the Uhaul and about 50% of the gas... But since gas is $4 a gallon and TMO wont cover sales tax etc. I'm out $469

Just wanted to come back to this and say thanks and you were right. I misunderstood what was told to me. Somebody made a big deal saying, don't start your travel before your EAD or you won't get paid for the travel days. I misconstrued that to mean you can't have your HHG moved prior to that date as well as actually driving my POV out there. Went to TMO today and they said there was no problem arranging pickup in late August for my stuff.

I've got almost the same situation (EAD in November, need to move out of my current house by the end of August). I did my TMO paperwork today, but I'm still not too clear on whats allowed. Heres my situation: I EAD in November to Sheppard and my current orders have me leaving from Florida. The movers are coming to move all of my things out of Florida to storage in Texas at the end of august. The next day, I'll drive my car to California where I'll live at my parents house in California until I EAD 2 months later.

My concern is that I have partial DITY paperwork from FL to TX for the end of august (although my RNLTD is 19 Nov) and the guy at TMO told me to just keep all of my receipts until I got to Texas and then continue on to California. I'm doubting that I'll be reimbursed for what would be a normal move, but 2 months ahead of time.

I'm wondering now if I should just make the drive on my own to CA, change my home of record and do the normal POV drive to TX.

Anyone with insight or suggestions on this would be appreciated... this world of moving is insane to me.

Another question for anyone out there in the know...I just PCS'd and I have two POVs that I drove cross country. Well, I drove one and my father drove the other. I am married, but she's AD so technically I have no dependents. She is stationed at separate (third) base altogether so in no way did she move with me, she's staying put for now. :flipoff: I'm essentially a single dude PCSing. Finance is telling me that I can't claim milage for both cars because a dependent was not driving the other one, even though I own both of them. In the JFTR it simply does not specify that, if you don't have deps, you can only move with one car CONUS - CONUS. Yet finance is saying they won't pay the mileage for my second car, which is a decent amount since it was over 2K miles. They say that even if my wife drove it, it wouldn't matter since she's not a dep. Anyone run into this same problem and what was the outcome? I know there are plenty of single dudes out there with more than one car...

:beer:

Another question for anyone out there in the know...I just PCS'd and I have two POVs that I drove cross country. Well, I drove one and my father drove the other. I am married, but she's AD so technically I have no dependents. She is stationed at separate (third) base altogether so in no way did she move with me, she's staying put for now. :flipoff: I'm essentially a single dude PCSing. Finance is telling me that I can't claim milage for both cars because a dependent was not driving the other one, even though I own both of them. In the JFTR it simply does not specify that, if you don't have deps, you can only move with one car CONUS - CONUS. Yet finance is saying they won't pay the mileage for my second car, which is a decent amount since it was over 2K miles. They say that even if my wife drove it, it wouldn't matter since she's not a dep. Anyone run into this same problem and what was the outcome? I know there are plenty of single dudes out there with more than one car...

:beer:

Sorry for you, but finance is right. If you are the only one moving, then only one vehicle is paid. It boils down to You are the only one on orders, not your spouse or father. Taxpayer dollars shouldn't be used to pay for a 2nd car you might own that isn't required. Basically one person can only drive one car at the same time. The JFTR only shows what is authorized and isn''t going to specify every single item that isn't authorized.

I need some help. I am about to PCS and need to find the official documentation for when finance/TMO tells me I'm wrong.

My family is about to PCS without me (remote) and will fly out of an airport other than the closest to our home of record (which is on my orders) because we sold our house. I called TMO and they gave me the cost to fly from home-of-record airport (RDU) to the port of departure, which costs way more than the tickets I could buy on Southwest to get my family from the closest airport to the point of departure.

So....Does anybody know where in the JFTR (yes, I've scanned...can't find it) or any other AFI it dictates that that I can be reimbursed for buying my own tickets. Specifically - the fact that if I buy my own tickets at a rate less than the government rate, I can be reimbursed?

I know this can be done - I've done it 2-3 times before, I'd just like to have the 'rules' in hand this time so I can tell the dude at finance to choke himself when he tells me I won't get reimbursed.

I need some help. I am about to PCS and need to find the official documentation for when finance/TMO tells me I'm wrong.

So....Does anybody know where in the JFTR (yes, I've scanned...can't find it) or any other AFI it dictates that that I can be reimbursed for buying my own tickets. Specifically - the fact that if I buy my own tickets at a rate less than the government rate, I can be reimbursed?

I'm first curious on the "home of record" mention. I thought on remote tours you could elect where you want dependents to remain while overseas--Called a Designated Location. And once a designated location was elected, the you were authorized to travel to that location, then on to your new PDS. Upon tour completion, then you would travel from old PDS, to Deps Designated location, then on to your new PDS. What has Outbound Assignments told you about "Home of record"? I want to say if this is a true unaccompanied tour, then you are authorized travel to where your dependent relocate.

Ref JFTR:

U5120 TRAVEL AND TRANSPORTATION ALLOWANCE UNDER SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES

EDIT: Removed Para H and added PARA G. I had copied the wrong one. I was looking at the right one, but when I went back to copy, I went one below it.

G. Travel to/from a Designated Place. A member, ordered on a PCS who travels to a designated place, may be paid

PCS allowances for travel from the old PDS to:

1. The new PDS via the designated place,

2. The designated place via any TDY station(s) and then to the new PDS, or

3. Any TDY station(s) via the designated place and then to the new PDS

But to answer the ticket purchase question:

See JFTR Refs below. If the tickets you purchase are all within CONUS then para A. would allow you to be reimbursed. Note that the PCS transoceanic travel cannot be reimbursed. That would be the ticket from your port of departure in the US to the OCONUS port.

Even though the policy requires you use the CTO, I've never seen anyone get disciplined for not going through the CTO.

Hope this helps.

U3110 PERSONALLY-PROCURED COMMON CARRIER TDY TRANSPORTATION REIMBURSEMENT

*NOTE 1: Throughout par. U3110, users must remember that it is MANDATORY DOD and NOAA Corps policy to use CTOs for all official travel transportation requirements. The payment options provided below should in no way be interpreted to suggest that use of other than the CTO/TMC is authorized or encouraged. The payment options are provided for situations when the CTO/TMC cannot be used. Par. U1055 applies to those who violate policy.

*A. General. Except for PCS transoceanic travel (see par. U5108-A), when a specific transportation mode is directed, a member, who must procure transportation without benefit of using a CTO/TMC, may be reimbursed for personally procured transportation NTE the directed mode cost. Otherwise, the member is authorized transportation cost reimbursement as prescribed in pars. U3110-B, U3110-C, U3110-D, U3110-E and U3110-F. Reimbursement may not be more than the accommodations cost prescribed in pars. U3125, U3130 and U3135. See Chapter 3, Part D when the transportation is partly by POC. If a member uses Government-procured transportation for part of a journey (see par. U3010), the limits in pars. U3110-B and U3110-C must be reduced by its cost. NOTE: This policy does not apply to pars. U5108-A, U7200-C1a, U7205-A, U7206, U7400, U7401, U7450-A, U7451, U7500 and U7551, items 3 and 4.

*B. Government/Government-contracted Transportation/In-house or CTO/TMC Is Available. When Government/ Government-contracted transportation/in-house or CTO/TMC (see Appendix A for definition) services are available and the traveler procures common carrier transportation (including sleeping accommodations) at personal expense under a travel authorization/order, the traveler may elect to receive reimbursement for the actual transportation cost for the transportation mode authorized and used NTE the constructed transportation cost between authorized points. For air transportation, constructed costs are based on the non-capacity controlled city-pair airfare, not the capacity controlled city-pair airfare, if both are available. If a city-pair airfare is not available between origin and destination (e.g., There is often no city-pair airfare connecting origin and destination. Several policy airfares (see Appendix A)

U3120 ARRANGING OFFICIAL TRAVEL

A. CTO/TMC Use

1. Mandatory Policy. It is DOD mandatory policy that a DOD Uniformed Service member use an available CTO/TMC to arrange official travel, including transportation and rental cars, except when authorized IAW par. U3110. Commands must not permit a CTO/TMC to issue premium-class tickets purchased at Government expense without prior proper authorization.

2. Service Regulations. See Service regulations for CTO/TMC use information.

3. Failure to Follow Regulations

a. Commands/units are expected to take appropriate disciplinary action when a member and/or an AO fails to follow the regulations concerning CTO/TMC use. See par. U1055.

b. Disciplinary action should be for willful violations and may be in the form of counseling (oral/written), non-judicial action, or other appropriate means. Action must not be through refusal to reimburse. See par. U3120-A4 below for the exceptions when reimbursement is not allowed.

4. Reimbursement Not Allowed. Reimbursement is not allowed when the member does not follow the regulations for foreign flag carriers (see par. U3125-C5) and directed transoceanic transportation (see pars. U3110-A NOTE, and U5108-A).

• 1 month later...

Major Change from previous guidance when two members ride in the same POC.

SYNOPSIS: Limit PCS Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation (MALT) reimbursement to one member/employee/operator when two or more members/employees travel together in one POC; each under a PCS order/authorization. This change is the result of a shift by GSA from the tiered PCS MALT reimbursement rate method based on the number of authorized travelers in a POC to a single PCS MALT rate based on reimbursement per mile regardless of the number of travelers in the POC. Under the change, only one member/employee/ operator is authorized PCS MALT reimbursement. The second member/employee is treated as a passenger who is being provided Government-funded transportation at no cost.

MAP29_08_CAP_31_08_MALT_MBR_Travel_Together.doc

Guest ColumbusLT

I have a question regarding the use of an enclosed trailer for a DITY move. Its been addressed previously, but not with a definitive answer.

I am planning to purchase an enclosed trailer for my DITY move, but TMO at Columbus tells me that they will not count the weight of any trailer that is enclosed, even if it meets the size limitations in the JFTR (see below).

JFTR Appendix A -- Household Goods include Utility trailers, with or without tilt beds, with a single axle, and an overall length of no more than 12 feet(from rear to trailer hitch), and no wider than 8 feet (outside tire to outside tire). Side rails/body no higher than 28 inches (unless detachable) and ramp/gate for utility trailer no higher than 4 feet(unless detachable).

Columbus can't cite specifically where they are getting the "non-enclosed" part from, and the AF Move website stopped returning my calls and e-mails once I asked if they could specifically refute Columbus TMO. So where are they getting this?!? Anyone else had this problem? Any advice? Thanks!

Guest ColumbusLT

Gearpig,

What I had heard previously, is exactly in line with what you are saying. I had read on here about folks not being permitted to count the weight of their trailer itself, b/c it was enclosed. When I read into it on the JFTR, the except from Appendix A was all I could find regarding trailer limitations.

I called Columbus TMO to double-check, and they repeated the non-enclosed line.

I am buying an enclosed trailer to haul/store my goods. That is a foregone conclusion. My concern in purchasing one was essentially:

A) I buy a trailer that fits the size limitations, can count the weight, and make a little extra money on the DITY move.

B) I buy a trailer that does not fit the size limitations, I lose the extra weight, and any extra money.

Obviously, I want to go with option A. I also wondered if others ran into the enclosed/non-enclosed issue? From what I have read and heard, unless specifically asked, my trailer is not enclosed. :salut:

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, went to tons of websites and searched threads/JFTRs but can't seem to find the answer. PCSing from Laughlin to Travis, TDY enroute to Altus. Local finance told me that I would continue to get BAH from my losing base. Is this 100% true?

1. Does it matter if I live in TLF (Married with 2 large dogs) or only if I live off-base?

2. If I do get a pet-friendly TLF, will my per diem be adjusted to cover the whole cost (TLF/pet fees), + BAH?

3. Have also heard if I do a TLF and get BAH, will the BAH stop after 30 days?

4. If I choose to live off base, should I get per diem ($27/day) and then supplement with my BAH?

5. If I get a letter of non-a (Dogs being the reason), is my per diem adjusted to cover my housing expenses + BAH?

Everyone I have talked to says enroute is the best money maker but unsure since we won't be getting my wife's income from Del Rio. Just looking for the easiest/most lucrative option (Realizing those two rarely go together).

Thanks in advance :bash:

Here's a question for finance guy, we got a guy going overseas with a TDY enroute. Guys want to send spouse to overseas location (Hawaii) in lieu of having her rot with him in Altus. So, can his Hickam BAH, etc start based on when she gets there, or does he continue to pull BAH from location he was at till he finishes TDY and reports in?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer (it's not the one he wants), but every person he asks at finance has a different answer. As per everythign else.

Ok, went to tons of websites and searched threads/JFTRs but can't seem to find the answer. PCSing from Laughlin to Travis, TDY enroute to Altus. Local finance told me that I would continue to get BAH from my losing base. Is this 100% true?

1. Does it matter if I live in TLF (Married with 2 large dogs) or only if I live off-base?

2. If I do get a pet-friendly TLF, will my per diem be adjusted to cover the whole cost (TLF/pet fees), + BAH?

4. If I choose to live off base, should I get per diem ($27/day) and then supplement with my BAH?

5. If I get a letter of non-a (Dogs being the reason), is my per diem adjusted to cover my housing expenses + BAH?

Everyone I have talked to says enroute is the best money maker but unsure since we won't be getting my wife's income from Del Rio. Just looking for the easiest/most lucrative option (Realizing those two rarely go together).

Thanks in advance :bash:

Reordered to answer logically. JFTR link: http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/trvlregs.html

You continue your BAH rate from your last PDS, which is Laughlin. I'm assuming you receive with-dependent rate, so you are never in danger of losing it...unless assigned to permanent family government QTRs--base housing (TLF is not base housing). RE: JFTR Table U10E-12, Rule 1 or 3. If Member is en route PCS from a PDS in the US, then, Continue old PDS-based BAH through the day before the day the member reports to the new PDS, to include TDY en route. New PDS-based BAH or OHA authorization begins on the day the member reports to the new PDS.

A. In the past, "Single-Rate" BAH stopped after 30 days. That changed 1 Nov 06. See post #91 under, TDY Info - Pay, claims, vouchers, rentals, BAH

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/index...st&p=128580

A. This is the key for how much you get for reimbursement, I don't think they will give you a non-A for having dogs, but make sure if there are no quarters available, you get a non-A statement once you first attempt to check in--JFTR does not require you keep checking back with billeting--it's a one-time requirement. If you have the Non-A, then you get the full meal rate and you can claim hotel/apartment costs up to the maximum lodging rate for Altus off-base rates (max lodging is currently $70/night) and again, you get your BAH. I've also heard billeting offices have member's sign a "refusal of available billeting", even though quarters were not supposedly available. Not sure what this is for and I wouldn't sign it. I would only be interested in them giving a non-A statement in that case. Now if quarters were available, then I could see where they might want to keep a refusal statement for their records. RE: JFTR U1045--NOTE 2: The member is not required to seek (or check for) Government quarters when TDY to a U.S. Installation after non-availability documentation has been initially provided. Checking quarters availability is a one-time requirement at a TDY U.S. Installation.

A. If you don't get a non-A, then you would be limited to the single VOQ rate...I"m guessing the $27/day is about right. But you still receive your BAH as mentioned in #3. RE: JFTR U1045--when adequate Government quarters are available on the U.S. Installation to which a member is assigned TDY and the member uses other lodgings as a personal choice, lodging reimbursement is limited to the Government quarters cost on the U.S Installation to which assigned TDY

If billeting assigns you to a TLF, then you should be reimbursed the full TLF rate per night, but you will not get anything extra for any pet fees. You should not be limited to single VOQ room rate since you are staying in temporary gov't quarters. Even some single members can sometimes get assigned a TLF.

A. I think all the above answers tie into this one. It can matter, but what really matters for off-base is getting a Non-A statement. I would suspect if you didn't get the non-A and wanted to stay off-base, the $27/day for billeting credit along with your BAH might cover your expenses, but I cannot say for sure. Just the $27/day can get you into an apartment for $810/month. RE: JFTR U4131--REIMBURSEMENT FOR AN APARTMENT, HOUSE, OR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Edited by Finance_Guy

Here's a question for finance guy, we got a guy going overseas with a TDY enroute. Guys want to send spouse to overseas location (Hawaii) in lieu of having her rot with him in Altus. So, can his Hickam BAH, etc start based on when she gets there, or does he continue to pull BAH from location he was at till he finishes TDY and reports in?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer (it's not the one he wants), but every person he asks at finance has a different answer. As per everythign else.

I tried to do something similar with my family. My help actually came from an individual at AFPC - she worked her channels and got me a letter entitling me to OHA and COLA based on the day my family arrived (not my later PCS arrival date). PM me if you want her name and email.

I tried to do something similar with my family. My help actually came from an individual at AFPC - she worked her channels and got me a letter entitling me to OHA and COLA based on the day my family arrived (not my later PCS arrival date). PM me if you want her name and email.

Toro has the right lead. Any BAH payment outside the normal authorizations have to be approved by AFPC and/or AF/A1--believe it or not, Finance doesn't create the entitlements, it's the personnel folks. Once a waiver is approved, the local outbound assignments would include the special authorization on the orders. I can say I've not see these approved that often. AF could say why can't the spouse stay at/near the old PDS. But it's worth trying for a waiver.

Edited by Finance_Guy

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who knows or has experience with this -

I was under the impression that TMO will not ship a POV in the CONUS. In the past few days I've heard from multiple sources that they will ship one with your HHG. Anyone know for sure?

I'm contemplating renting an RV to make the PCS home from UPT and if I could get the car shipped it would be a lot less gas money, etc, compared to towing it.

Thanks!

For anyone who knows or has experience with this -

I was under the impression that TMO will not ship a POV in the CONUS. In the past few days I've heard from multiple sources that they will ship one with your HHG. Anyone know for sure?

I'm contemplating renting an RV to make the PCS home from UPT and if I could get the car shipped it would be a lot less gas money, etc, compared to towing it.

Thanks!

Normally POV shipments are not done for CONUS moves unless the member is unable to drive the POV. Check back to my post in this thread...I think 161. Link is below.

You may get more money from uncle using this method. May not cover RV cost and shipping, but is more than you would get if you only drove the RV and towed a POV. Now if you rented the RV, drove a POV AND Shipped a POV, then I'd say you would get the max anyway. PM me if you would like help in a rough computation.

Here in Altus OK right now.

• 1 month later...

Can someone explain how DITY storage (the 90 days) at your destination is paid. All I could find in JFTR was that I was authorized 90 days (that could be extended) bue not a payment formula. I have gotten two answers from my local TMO, 1) paid at 95% of gov cost, 2) paid only member's costs. My local TMO office said there was a memo that recently changed how it was paid but will not show me the memo because the person that has it is on leave. Currently they are delaying any payment because they can not figure out how to prorate a monthly storage fee...they did not like my recomendation to divide by 30 and multiply the number of days.

The local answer I have now is that it does not depend on weight, just actual costs up to 90 days. Had I known this I would have paid someone to move it all into storage for me.

Can someone explain how DITY storage (the 90 days) at your destination is paid. All I could find in JFTR was that I was authorized 90 days (that could be extended) bue not a payment formula. I have gotten two answers from my local TMO, 1) paid at 95% of gov cost, 2) paid only member's costs. My local TMO office said there was a memo that recently changed how it was paid but will not show me the memo because the person that has it is on leave. Currently they are delaying any payment because they can not figure out how to prorate a monthly storage fee...they did not like my recomendation to divide by 30 and multiply the number of days.

The local answer I have now is that it does not depend on weight, just actual costs up to 90 days. Had I known this I would have paid someone to move it all into storage for me.

I just went through this fiasco when I arrived at Luke. They will not pay for you to get a storage facility. They pay you based on the weight of goods that you store and the length of time you store it for. I showed up with an enclosed trailer (of course they wouldn't pay for the weight of it even though the idiots at Shaw said they would) and planned on keeping some stuff in it on the RV lot. In the end, storing about 1000 # would have made me about a dollar a day. I ended up selling the trailer in Phoenix since they are more expensive out here so it was a non-player. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
PCSing from Charleston to Pope. Wife and daughter are going to stay in CHS for school. I read in another thread that it's based on where your dependents are. Does not seem right to me. Hope it is though. My BAH goes down $200 going to Pope. So which rate will I get if they stay?

Edit........Sorry, should have been in the moving thread. Mods please put this topic where it goes.

I'll go ahead and reply. I am a Mod but don't know how to move topics--I've not yet exercised my Mod powers.

Most always the BAH rate is paid for where the member is stationed--in your case it will be Pope. There are only a few exceptions when BAH is paid for where the deps are located--the main one being for remote assignments or extended TDYs. There are waiver provisions when attending a school or PME, but it don't sound like that's the case. I would say based on your statement, the deps not moving is primarily for personal reasons and I doubt a waiver would be approved. But having said that, you are always welcome to submit a waiver explaining your justification as to why you should continue receiving Charleston's rate of BAH.

Your letter is submitted to your local finance office, they forward to the MAJCOM Finance who then send to AF/A1. AF/A1 is the final approval authority. If approved, the approval is provided to the MPF outbound assignments who will note the approval in your PCS orders.

RE: JFTR U10402 MEMBER WITH DEPENDENT

B. Location Rate. Ordinarily a housing allowance is paid based on the member’s PDS, or the home port for a member assigned to a ship or afloat unit. However, the Service may determine that a member’s assignment to a PDS or the circumstances of that assignment requires the dependent to reside separately. The Secretary Concerned or the Secretarial Process, at Service discretion, may authorize/approve a housing allowance based on the dependent’s location or old PDS.

Then go to # 5. Examples of location rate changes routinely authorized/approved (page 698 of the PDF file)

http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/jftr(ch1-ch10).pdf

• 1 month later...
Guest voltron

So here is the story... I joined my ANG unit a year ago, I then PCS to pilot training and after a year I PCS back to guard base. Now I kept my house back home and the wife travelled back and forth. My finance office is telling me that I don't recieve any DLA money because I nevered sold my house. Even though I moved all my stuff to pilot training and did 2 PCS orders. Now I read somewhere that your first PCS you don't get DLA, so I guess going to pilot training is considered my first DLA so I can understand that. But I thought that I should have recieved it for coming back home. Also if It matters I lived in the privatized housing at pilot training. Thanks for anyhelp you can give and if you have an exact reg to go along with it that would be great... I looked at the JFTR chapter 5 but it didn't really say yes or no???

After some issues at my last base I bookmarked the travel regs for faster reference. Check them out at http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/trvlregs.html . This is the holy grail of what you are or are not entitled to every time you PCS. One thing to note is that any time you occupy gov't quarters and do not have dependents (or at least do not have dependents that travel with you) you do not get DLA. So if you moved into the base dorms, first move or not, no money for you. If you moved into base housing without dependents, now that it's privatized, i'm not certain. If you move into base housing with your dependents then you get DLA because your dependents had to move.

I believe this is the reg that you need: (U5630, part C, paragraph 4)

C. Special Categories for Which DLA Is Not Authorized. DLA is not authorized ICW a PCS:

1. From home or from PLEAD to first PDS unless the dependents actually move from the member’s residence

to the PDS or designated place ICW the PCS (if the dependents do not relocate to the new PDS, or the member

has no dependents, DLA is not authorized from home or PLEAD to the first PDS);

2. From last PDS to home or to the PLEAD;

3. From last PDS in one period of service to first PDS in another period of service when there was no ordered

PCS between those stations;

4. When the member does not relocate the household (e.g., the member continues to commute from the same

residence) NOTE: Household relocation is not limited to transporting HHG. A member may relocate the

household and neither transport HHG nor move dependents (e.g., A member with dependents who leaves the

dependents in place and moves to the new PDS taking some personal belongings has in fact relocated the

household. This member may be eligible for a DLA at the without-dependent rate if GOV’T quarters are not

available at the new PDS. This item does not apply to a member on a PCS from home or from PLEAD to

first PDS. See par. U5630-C1 with which this item does not conflict.); or

5. For a member with dependents, ICW PCS travel performed under the conditions outlined in pars. U5201-

B1a, U5201-B1b, U5201-B1c, U5201-B1d, U5201-B2a, U5201-B2b, U5201-B2c; U5201-B2d, U5201-B2e,

U5201-B2f; and U5201-B3b.

My reading is that you should get DLA because you did in fact move the household but you will get the without dependent rate. Also, if your "first PDS" is where your dependents are (which it should be if thats where your unit is and you were officially stationed there before going to UPT) and you did not occupy gov't quarters for UPT then you should also receive DLA for your move to UPT.

Edited by KWings06j

I went to the AF Move website and further to the PPM Calculator. After estimating the weight, I notice this on the page:

]The tax amount can be reduced by providing valid receipts for allowable deductions such as the cost of a rental vehicle, packing materials, moving aids, tolls, and gasoline.

For example, I "make" $2500 on the DITY, but $700 is taken out for tax. However, the above bold line clearly states I can reduce that tax w/ the cost of rental vehicle, etc. So, if I spend $800 on a Uhaul, can't I put that down as a deduction and thus pay no tax and get the full $2500? I'm assuming I would "lose" that extra $100 (i.e. the AF isn't going to pay me $800 for the rental per se, but they should get rid of the $700 tax since the rental cost me $700 or more).

I've always heard you aren't reimbursed for a Uhaul, etc. b/c that's what DLA is for blah blah. But the line above clearly says I can show a receipt and thus not have the tax taken out. Am I missing something?

I went to the AF Move website and further to the PPM Calculator. After estimating the weight, I notice this on the page:

]The tax amount can be reduced by providing valid receipts for allowable deductions such as the cost of a rental vehicle, packing materials, moving aids, tolls, and gasoline.

For example, I "make" $2500 on the DITY, but $700 is taken out for tax. However, the above bold line clearly states I can reduce that tax w/ the cost of rental vehicle, etc. So, if I spend $800 on a Uhaul, can't I put that down as a deduction and thus pay no tax and get the full $2500? I'm assuming I would "lose" that extra $100 (i.e. the AF isn't going to pay me $800 for the rental per se, but they should get rid of the $700 tax since the rental cost me $700 or more).

I've always heard you aren't reimbursed for a Uhaul, etc. b/c that's what DLA is for blah blah. But the line above clearly says I can show a receipt and thus not have the tax taken out. Am I missing something?

Brabus, the receipts are used to reduce the taxable wages on the move as you mentioned. You aren't really directly reimbursed the Uhaul but rather receive the DITY incentive...in your example $2500. If you provide the receipts when you turn in your claim, the taxable income is reduced at that time and therefore you don't deduct it again on your tax return. If you forgot to deduct expense on your DITY claim, then you could deduct them on your tax return using the IRS rules.

If your total DITY entitlement was $2500 and you provided no receipts, then you would be taxed on the entire amount. But provide a $800 receipt for the Uhaul and your taxable income goes down to $1700 and $200 less tax is withheld.