Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Situation:  I'm preparing for an OCONUS PCS and need to book my commercial travel through SATO.  My family resides at an out-of-state location, a move I paid for with my own money over a year ago.  Their out-of-state address is listed on the PCS orders.  I have concurrent travel automatic checked on my orders as well.  SATO will not book my family together out of a single international airport, instead insisting we each start our travel from separate airports. 

I want to start travel and book our commercial flights out of the same international airport closest to my PDS.  I'm not asking to move my family from the out-of-state location to my current PDS (I'll pay for that myself).  SATO are insisting I either amend the orders to have my family's location reflect my current PDS, or do circuitous travel which costs me significantly out of pocket (I've done the cost comparison).

Per the 2019 edition of the JTR:

"Allowances are limited to direct travel from the last place where the dependent was transported at Government expense to the new PDS along a usually traveled route." (Page 218)

"The service member is authorized dependent travel and transportation allowances from the old PDS, designated place, or safe haven to the new PDS, if the dependent returns to the old PDS, designated place, or safe haven and travels from there to the new PDS." (193)

"A service member in receipt of a PCS order is authorized dependent travel and transportation allowances from the place where the dependent resides to the new PDS, or from the old PDS to the new place where the dependent will reside, limited to the authorization from the old to the new PDS." (193)

I've spoken with a string of technicians who are unfazed by the JTR and insist the family's out-of-state address listed on the orders governs which international airports they're authorized to make travel reservations from.  I'm positive my whole family can fly with me from the airport nearest my PDS, despite their out-of-state address on the orders.  SATO can't reference a governing document...Any advice from the BaseOps community?

Edited by alpha upsilon

Is your SATO civilians? If so , maybe get TMO to add to your commercial travel memorandum , directing travel from your PDS. They may just be a little afraid to do something on their own without more cya. Of TMO is the problem you might need to go up the chain. The problem is many of the Airmen in TMO have never been overseas and don't realize the rubber stamp conus rules don't always apply. Even when it's written in governing guidance you can do something, many will go back to their OJT training "TSgt so-and-so told me never to do this." 

I had a similar issue once trying to get the extended allowance going to Korea by having my HHG surface freighted vs accompanied baggage. Had the JTR and AFI ready and still needed to get to a MSgt at TMO to get it worked out. 

Everyone get scared of flying, get a doctors note, SATO books and you ride Amtrak as a family until you can board the Queen Elizabeth 2 with throwback cast member Lidnsay Lohan, then enjoy the slow boat ride. Bring luxury suit, party. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FLEA said:

Is your SATO civilians? If so , maybe get TMO to add to your commercial travel memorandum , directing travel from your PDS. They may just be a little afraid to do something on their own without more cya. Of TMO is the problem you might need to go up the chain. The problem is many of the Airmen in TMO have never been overseas and don't realize the rubber stamp conus rules don't always apply. Even when it's written in governing guidance you can do something, many will go back to their OJT training "TSgt so-and-so told me never to do this." 

I had a similar issue once trying to get the extended allowance going to Korea by having my HHG surface freighted vs accompanied baggage. Had the JTR and AFI ready and still needed to get to a MSgt at TMO to get it worked out. 

Yep.  If TMO is the bottle neck, don't berate the airmen behind the counter.  Just say "thank you for your time.  I'd like to speak to the first officer in your chain of command".

Works even better if you show up in ABUs/OCPs instead of a flight suit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

🤢🤮

Do whatever you want.  My own experience is that enlisted in the MSG view flyers as "not a real officer".  If you are wearing ABUs with oak leaves, they assume you're a squadron commander.

19 hours ago, pawnman said:

Do whatever you want.  My own experience is that enlisted in the MSG view flyers as "not a real officer".  If you are wearing ABUs with oak leaves, they assume you're a squadron commander.

I’ll log you thinking wearing ABUs is required as “What’s Wrong with the AF.” Or maybe it’s what’s wrong with you, if you’re only a real officer in ABUs, I can’t be sure. 

38 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

I’ll log you thinking wearing ABUs is required as “What’s Wrong with the AF.” Or maybe it’s what’s wrong with you, if you’re only a real officer in ABUs, I can’t be sure. 

I don't agree with the line of thinking, but a lone FGO isn't going to change it.  I'll take any advantage I can get when doing AFI battle with the support agencies.

Edited by pawnman

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

I don't agree with the line of thinking, but a lone FGO isn't going to change it.  I'll take any advantage I can get when doing AFI battle with the support agencies.

Assertiveness works, too.  So does verbiage from the regs that works to your advantage.  

Edited by Champ Kind
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

Could use some help. I'm a fresh UPT grad, going TDY enroute for initial qual for a few months then to my new PDS. My class starts in two weeks. MPF still doesn't have the line of accounting for my TDY, and my orders don't have the TDY enroute on them. MPF says they'll get my orders amended, but I haven't been given a timeline. Trouble is, TMO says I need that TDY enroute on my orders before they'll move anything into storage. I was told they can't move anything outside of 90 days of my PCS, and that would be March 28th, 10 days after I need to be in Kirtland. Last conversation with TMO I had, I was told that if I couldn't get my orders amended by Thursday (7th) they couldn't use government movers to store anything by the time I leave for Kirtland. I've been calling MPF and visiting them in person, I honestly believe they're trying to fix my orders but I'm pessimistic it will be done in time. What are my options? A prior E classmate said I could try storing it on my dime and give a friend limited power of attorney to move my stuff to my new PDS while I'm TDY at Kirtland. I've ran the numbers for doing a DITY, I'd lose a lot based on the junk that I have and needing a U-Haul / Trailer.

Could use some help. I'm a fresh UPT grad, going TDY enroute for initial qual for a few months then to my new PDS. My class starts in two weeks. MPF still doesn't have the line of accounting for my TDY, and my orders don't have the TDY enroute on them. MPF says they'll get my orders amended, but I haven't been given a timeline. Trouble is, TMO says I need that TDY enroute on my orders before they'll move anything into storage. I was told they can't move anything outside of 90 days of my PCS, and that would be March 28th, 10 days after I need to be in Kirtland. Last conversation with TMO I had, I was told that if I couldn't get my orders amended by Thursday (7th) they couldn't use government movers to store anything by the time I leave for Kirtland. I've been calling MPF and visiting them in person, I honestly believe they're trying to fix my orders but I'm pessimistic it will be done in time. What are my options? A prior E classmate said I could try storing it on my dime and give a friend limited power of attorney to move my stuff to my new PDS while I'm TDY at Kirtland. I've ran the numbers for doing a DITY, I'd lose a lot based on the junk that I have and needing a U-Haul / Trailer.

Talk your flight commander or whoever owns you and get some rank muscle behind you to unf-ck this.

Oh and welcome to the USAF PCS shenanigans. I wish I could say they get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

59 minutes ago, 8Cylinders said:

Ya, you need your flight CC and probably your squdron CC involved. They need to call your  AFPC functional and training manager to load your class into MILPDS and get your rips generated. With a RIP in hand you can go to MPF and have them amend your orders. You should be able to go to TMO with a RIP and tell them you are waiting on order ammendemts and they can get the ball rolling. Fundcite isn’t a huge deal, you can go TDY enroute wothout it, you just can’t file a voucher, but that should come with your training RIP. Again, AFPC functional/training manager is who would be able to get you that. 

I just completed my 3rd PCS. It’s a absolute shit show every time, so take notes and get use to the stupidity. 

Edited by viper154

Roger, I took y'alls advice and spoke to my Flt CC. I went and talked with both MPF and TMO and I think we found a decent enough solution. I still have a ton of questions but I got my HHG handled. I already received a RIP, actually got it about a week after I got my assignment. After talking to MPF they said the issue is with my gaining base, they've been emailing / calling but had not received the info from the RA. They couldn't tell me when to expect my orders to be amended. I then went to TMO and asked what options I had and we settled on doing this: Move my stuff to Hurlburt now and store it, it'll exceed the 90 days I am allotted with the PCS, but he told me I should get an extension since I will be TDY and it was an issue with my orders and not my fault.

I probably should have talked to my Flt CC earlier, I was trying to be a good Lt and figure it out but got in over my head. Thanks for the advice guys, if anything I've learned a lot from talking to folks and reading the JTR.

1 hour ago, 8Cylinders said:

Roger, I took y'alls advice and spoke to my Flt CC. I went and talked with both MPF and TMO and I think we found a decent enough solution. I still have a ton of questions but I got my HHG handled. I already received a RIP, actually got it about a week after I got my assignment. After talking to MPF they said the issue is with my gaining base, they've been emailing / calling but had not received the info from the RA. They couldn't tell me when to expect my orders to be amended. I then went to TMO and asked what options I had and we settled on doing this: Move my stuff to Hurlburt now and store it, it'll exceed the 90 days I am allotted with the PCS, but he told me I should get an extension since I will be TDY and it was an issue with my orders and not my fault.

I probably should have talked to my Flt CC earlier, I was trying to be a good Lt and figure it out but got in over my head. Thanks for the advice guys, if anything I've learned a lot from talking to folks and reading the JTR.

They should be able to amend it without the fundcite if you need it. What unit are you going to at Hurlburt? I would look up their front office (exec) number and give them a call. Ask who the RA is, what their number is/give them a call, if that fails shoot the RA a email. I had almost a identical situation my first PCS after UPT. I went 3 months enroute with no fundcite, finally figured out I was going to a unit that was still being stood up and my name got lost in the shuffle.  I got everything done by making phone calls myself and figuring it out. 

Stay on top of the ammendemt and making sure TMO gets it and approves the storage. I have heard stories of people being billed crazy amounts because TMO messes up and storage companies auctioning off your stuff for non payment from Uncle Sam. 

6 hours ago, di1630 said:

Talk your flight commander or whoever owns you and get some rank muscle behind you to unf-ck this.

Oh and welcome to the USAF PCS shenanigans. I wish I could say they get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

At least you only have 9 more years of this BS..... I mean until you’ll likely be able to palace chase.

Edited by IDALPHA

• 1 month later...

PCSing soon, have leave approved for one day after my arrival at my new base. Will I be authorized ten (or, I guess, nine remaining) days of Temporary Lodging Expense after I return? JTR says you can use it "upon arrival," the people handling my admin are telling me the leave disrupts it somehow and renders me ineligible.

PCSing soon, have leave approved for one day after my arrival at my new base. Will I be authorized ten (or, I guess, nine remaining) days of Temporary Lodging Expense after I return? JTR says you can use it "upon arrival," the people handling my admin are telling me the leave disrupts it somehow and renders me ineligible.

Wrong. You don’t have to take the 10 days immediately upon arrival. That isn’t written anywhere. As a matter of fact, if your RNLTD allows I would just not check in until after your planned vacation. Any days which are beyond your allocated travel days will be counted as leave regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any experience with self procured storage?  I'm headed to Korea and already have my own storage unit from when I moved to KHMN.  TMO made it sound almost too good to be true where they'll reimburse me when I leave Korea and pick up all my stuff from storage and ship it to my new location.  Any advice or things to be aware of?