Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Question: I am at contracted civilian school near a number of bases in the DC area but my orders show my unit in Arlington VA (not on a base). I am PCSing, do I need to stay on a base for TLE or since my orders have Arlington, can I stay at a more convenient hotel?

JFTR Chapter 5.G.3.B

b. GOV’T QTRS
(1) A member should use adequate and available GOV’T QTRS on the U.S. INSTALLATION from
which departing and/ or to which ordered. This applies to all TLE while in the vicinity of the old PDS
before actual departure and while in the vicinity of the new PDS after actual arrival.
(2) There is no requirement to use GOV’T QTRS in the vicinity of a designated place (see APP A).

Since your orders aren't to a military base, there is no requirement to stay on one.

Anyone know if I can use a Manufacturers Certificate/Statement of Origin as proof of ownership rather than Title or Registration when shipping a POV OCONUS?

Success! The VPC accepted my Certificate of Origin and Odometer Disclosure / Release of Interest as proof of ownership without batting an eye.

Moving to Germany early next year. How much of a nightmare has it been for those who have shipped their vehicles from the states to OCONUS? News lately has it seem like it's pretty bad with this new company. What's the earliest someone has gotten overseas orders? My thought would be to ship it as early as I could so it's there when I get there. Thoughts?

Moving to Germany early next year. How much of a nightmare has it been for those who have shipped their vehicles from the states to OCONUS? News lately has it seem like it's pretty bad with this new company. What's the earliest someone has gotten overseas orders? My thought would be to ship it as early as I could so it's there when I get there. Thoughts?

1. Get orders ASAP

2. Ship your car ASAP

Good to go. We shipped our Accord and sold my truck. If I could do it over again I'd ship the truck and sell the Accord. You can buy a Bimmer over there for $3K-40K depending on what you want. American cars are not made for the Autobahn (Corvettes are the exception).

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

There may be a similar case somewhere in this thread so I apologize if I've overlooked it. I'm moving to Sheppard from Nellis at the end of the month. Just commissioned, first move ever with the AF. I'll be in the ENJJPT student dorms, so most of my living needs will already be taken care of (fully furnished). I really just need to bring clothes, cooking utensils, my computer, and a monitor. Unfortunately I have a small car that can't even fit those items, and it doesn't have towing capability. Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid getting screwed here? Maybe do a partial Dity? Thanks for any help.

Don't waste your HOR move to ship a few boxes of clothes. Buy a decent slightly used truck before you move. You likely have 4-11 years of service ahead of you at a minimum so you shouldn't have any problem paying it off. Also, you will most likely have at least 3-5 more PCS's ahead of you, the truck will come in handy there too. The amount you can make off the DITY portion with a truck can be decent, plus they're just damn useful in general. Alternatively, you could just take what you can fit in your smart car and buy an extra pair of wrangler jeans at walmart or the BX. You really won't need much.

Don't waste your HOR move to ship a few boxes of clothes. Buy a decent slightly used truck before you move. You likely have 4-11 years of service ahead of you at a minimum so you shouldn't have any problem paying it off. Also, you will most likely have at least 3-5 more PCS's ahead of you, the truck will come in handy there too. The amount you can make off the DITY portion with a truck can be decent, plus they're just damn useful in general. Alternatively, you could just take what you can fit in your smart car and buy an extra pair of wrangler jeans at walmart or the BX. You really won't need much.

What do you mean "waste your HOR move"? Is that related to your HOR move when you separate?

If you like your car I wouldn't buy a truck. That being said, I have a truck and I think everyone else should have one too.

You can rent a truck from uhaul that has a tow dolly to tow your car. Also, you could mail stuff to yourself. Save your postal receipts and you can get reimbursed for the mailing as if it was a DITY (or PPM) move. You don't get 1 for 1 reimbursement, so don't go nuts on priority or overnight shipping.

go weld a hitch to your bumper. Get a roof rack and a big Thule thing. Rent a uhaul truck and tow your car. make multiple trips. mail your shit. convoy with your friends/parents. borrow someone's truck. hope you get a bit more imagination at UPT.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just filed my partial ppm voucher for my separation move and tmo said gas and tolls are no longer an authorized expense to bring down the taxes on the payout and per diem is supposed to cover gas and tolls....is that true? And they said I don't even get a copy of my filed voucher to see how much I will be paid and they turn them in every Thursday to finance. Said the only way to find out how much I Will get paid is to call finance......when I pcsd last year I knew what I was getting before I left tmo and Gas/tolls were counted as moving expenses....has that much changed or are they jerking me around?

Edited by tunes

Just filed my partial ppm voucher for my separation move and tmo said gas and tolls are no longer an authorized expense to bring down the taxes on the payout and per diem is supposed to cover gas and tolls....is that true? And they said I don't even get a copy of my filed voucher to see how much I will be paid and they turn them in every Thursday to finance. Said the only way to find out how much I Will get paid is to call finance......when I pcsd last year I knew what I was getting before I left tmo and Gas/tolls were counted as moving expenses....has that much changed or are they jerking me around?

I used gas and tolls as an authorized expense recently (within a couple weeks). Couldn't tell you if there was a JFTR change though.

Where is it in writing that weight of packing materials doesn't count against PCS weight limits and how much do they deduct for said materials? Depending on which website you read it's either 10% or 2K lbs but I can't find source data, even in the JFTR. Movers just packed up my HOR move for separation and think we may be overweight. Good times. Should have thrown more shit away.

I apologize if this question was answered earlier.

Anyways, we signed a housing contract last Friday. Ramstein FMO can't deliver our temporary furniture until October 6th. We've decided to sleep on our air mattress at our new house and move out of our off base TLF. Mostly so our dogs would stop annoying the neighbors. So my question is am I still entitled per diem/TLA money until they can deliver the furniture? I know if we stayed in the TLF we would be until the day they deliver the furniture. But we are now no longer paying for the apartment.

I'm more concerned about the AF taking half of my pay check two months from now because I did something wrong then maximizing my per diem.

I plan on going to finance Monday but I want to have an idea of what the answer is before I go.

Where is it in writing that weight of packing materials doesn't count against PCS weight limits and how much do they deduct for said materials? Depending on which website you read it's either 10% or 2K lbs but I can't find source data, even in the JFTR. Movers just packed up my HOR move for separation and think we may be overweight. Good times. Should have thrown more shit away.

Don't know about source reference, but you can have them unpack everything and re weigh the packing materials they haul off. Edited by HossHarris

This one has been beat to death, with several different answers:

I went TDY Enroute before arriving to my PDS. My training base was about 100 miles from the intl airport, so I rented a one way rental for about $130 incl gas (taxi would have been over $200). Of course finance says one way rentals are not allowed.

Do I:

A: Claim no receipt and get $75

B: Fight it and get $130

Any success with B?

B.

Go the "constructed cost" route--show everything that you "could have" claimed via a taxi (fare + tip at a minimum); ideally have something formal to show that taxi fare, such as an advertised flat rate or Finance's own list of typical fares. Then demonstrate that your method and total claimed amount was "advantageous to the government" (i.e., got you there on time, with no additional duty time lost, for less money). Put it in a formal-looking MFR to accompany your voucher.

You may have an uphill climb if there's an approved solution that costs less. You can't be the first guy to have to get to the airport--is there a shuttle, say, that you could've ridden...? How is everyone else doing it?

Jughead:

Thanks. Most people get the car rental from the airport and keep it for the TDY. However, it was much cheaper to rent the car locally for 3 months than it would have been from the airport, so I had to go that route.

Luckily, I love writing MFRs...

In that case, your job just got easier. Show the total cost of 2x 1-way car plus local car < full round-trip car. The difference in taxi fare is gravy. (Still include everything; point is, the more direct a comparison you can make, the less hassle IME.)

This one has been beat to death, with several different answers:

I went TDY Enroute before arriving to my PDS. My training base was about 100 miles from the intl airport, so I rented a one way rental for about $130 incl gas (taxi would have been over $200). Of course finance says one way rentals are not allowed.

Do I:

A: Claim no receipt and get $75

Option A: Falsify a travel voucher.

Edited by addict

• 2 weeks later...

BLUF: New change to the JTR substantially reduces TDY pay.

Check it out.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/browse/Travel_Regulations/Regulations_Changes/Immediate/UTDCTD118-13®.pdf

New "flat rate" pay at 75% of locality if TDY 30-180 days, only 55% if over 180. Fortunately it doesn't go into effect until 1 Nov, but this seriously blows.

BLUF: JTR applies to civilian employees...the JFTR applies to uniformed members